Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: The Mocks: 2014 MLB Draft (Twins Pick #5)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    That is a good call. They have #2, #36, #38, and #42. They could probably go above slot a few times if they save $1-$2M at #2. That would be great.

The Royals snagged Mannea at about 35 last year and he was a top 3 guy 6-8 weeks out until he had a hip injury, velo drop as a result. Maybe that will be the added incentive for them to do the same thing.
    And the Marlins have the reputation of a cheap team as it is. I'm good with penciling in a lower caliber prospect for them at #2!

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Read a recent article which said the White Sox are leaning heavily towards a college stating pitcher to fill out the rotation ASAP. 13 of the last 17 years they have gone with a college player. The Loveable Losers are currently proclaiming their undying love for Starlin Castro. I think Trea Turner will be there at 5.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

"...he was hitting 99 mph with ease..."

Quote Originally Posted by InfraRen View Post

5. Minnesota Twins — Tyler Kolek, RHP, Sheppard HS (TX)
    ...I got to see him throw at Wrigley and he was hitting 99 mph with ease...
    I can relate. With just fifteen minutes warmup, I can hit 65mph with ease. And my curve is deadly - hits the batter right in the side of the head. Luckily it's going only 45 or so...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The neat thing about Kolek is that if he indeed throws 99mph "with ease," that indicates that he has excellent mechanical efficiency. If he doesn't require max effort to reach that kind of velocity, then it implies that he could ease off to a mere 94mph and pick his spots, much like Verlander learned to do. Then, if he really needs it, ramp up to the high 90's. I'd rather see a pitcher do that then try to blow everybody away with non-stop heat. Good pitchers always mix it up. Even Mariano Rivera changed location of his magical cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo92107 View Post
    The neat thing about Kolek is that if he indeed throws 99mph "with ease," that indicates that he has excellent mechanical efficiency. If he doesn't require max effort to reach that kind of velocity, then it implies that he could ease off to a mere 94mph and pick his spots, much like Verlander learned to do. Then, if he really needs it, ramp up to the high 90's. I'd rather see a pitcher do that then try to blow everybody away with non-stop heat. Good pitchers always mix it up. Even Mariano Rivera changed location of his magical cutter.
    On the flip side of Verlander unfortunately he could be very well be Mark Prior. Don't think I've seen anyone make upper 90's look more effortless than Prior.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Regarding the Mark Prior remark - what is the success/non-success rate of young pitchers in this regard? Historically say, in the last ten years or so. Gibson and Wimmers could very well wind up in the non-success column. Too early to tell about Stewart, Thorpe, etc. Thus I still take Turner at number 5 if he is still out there.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    Regarding the Mark Prior remark - what is the success/non-success rate of young pitchers in this regard? Historically say, in the last ten years or so. Gibson and Wimmers could very well wind up in the non-success column. Too early to tell about Stewart, Thorpe, etc. Thus I still take Turner at number 5 if he is still out there.
    You need ace caliber pitching to win though. If Kolek is the better prospect you can't pass him up just because you're afraid a pitcher is going to get hurt. You don't win the World Series with second tier free agent starters. They're good to have, but to win you're going to have to get some big power arms in the draft, and the best bets are the ones that go early.

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Twitter
    @InfraRen
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    He's not going to excite a lot of you guys, but Luke Weaver had a real good start to his season. The Twins are high on him and see some Greinke similarities.

Recap: http://www.tallahassee.com/article/2...es-opening-win
    Are you thinking more with the 2nd rounder? Doesn't seem like he'd be in the #5 convo based on what I just dug around in. Never know though this far out.
    Till I Collapse

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112