Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mocks: 2014 MLB Draft (Twins Pick #5)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 69 Times in 47 Posts
    Over at through the fences they looked at who the Cubs might target at four. Obviously because they draft right before us it directly can alter who we take. While the article looks at most of the top names the author suggests the Cubs lack pitching, very true, and could target an arm. One thing to note is experts suggested the same thing last year and they still took Bryant. Like us, they will take the player they rank the highest regardless of position.

Full article here:
    2014 MLB draft: Early targets for Chicago Cubs with fourth overall pick

I don't think its a debate, Twins need to take the best arm available. Hopefully its a college arm so they don't have to wait 4 years to see him. Right now the Twins have absolutely 0 pitching, Meyer could be good and Stewart could be but that's it. I don't think Gibson, Berrios or May will be anything better than a 3.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I don't think its a debate, Twins need to take the best arm available. Hopefully its a college arm so they don't have to wait 4 years to see him. Right now the Twins have absolutely 0 pitching, Meyer could be good and Stewart could be but that's it. I don't think Gibson, Berrios or May will be anything better than a 3.
    They didn't take the best college pitcher two years ago and look how that has turned out. Best prospect in baseball who people compare to Trout. The draft will dictate who we should take.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Who is presently in the minor league should never influence who should be drafted. All of these comparisons to Trout are hollow--they add nothing to who the Twins should select in 2014. Clearly, there can be (and often are) big changes in the rankings of "draft prospects" from Fall to June's draft day. Patience will be required. However, Ryan has definately painted himself in a corner. The rotation was cited as most responsible for 2013's poor result. You know the one that was going to be fixed by adding three pitchers last offseason! If there aren't several meaningful veteran pitchers added this offseason it's a near certainty that the first selection in June will be a pitcher. Citing the main problem and failing to even address said problem--means the problem is really the guy in charge!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Who is presently in the minor league should never influence who should be drafted. All of these comparisons to Trout are hollow--they add nothing to who the Twins should select in 2014. Clearly, there can be (and often are) big changes in the rankings of "draft prospects" from Fall to June's draft day. Patience will be required. However, Ryan has definately painted himself in a corner. The rotation was cited as most responsible for 2013's poor result. You know the one that was going to be fixed by adding three pitchers last offseason! If there aren't several meaningful veteran pitchers added this offseason it's a near certainty that the first selection in June will be a pitcher. Citing the main problem and failing to even address said problem--means the problem is really the guy in charge!
    Who is presently on the major league team should never influence who should be drafted. Even for college pitchers it usually takes 2+ years to reach the majors.

i think everyone agrees that if an argument can be made that a pitcher is close to the BPA then the Twins should take him but if there's a gap between the BPA available and the best pitcher then you have to take the hitter.

Existing players in the organization, regardless of level, should rarely dictate who's drafted. I say "rarely" as opposed to "never" only because it's possible two players grade out the same for potential. In such a case it makes sense not to double up on shortstops, for example.

It's obvious that we need top-end "arms." Like most teams. The question remains, however, whether drafting X is worth the investment and opportunity cost. Again, most 1st round players don't develop into superior MLB players. If the risk is too high for X's ceiling, then draft Y and get your "arms" somewhere else (e.g., lower rounds, international, trades, free agency).

You know I'm making all these abstract points. In the end I don't know yet who I want the Twins to draft.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    People get on Levi Michael as a "wasted" first round pick but they were picking 30th. Who was picked between Michael and Travis Harrison that looked better at the time? Even with perfect hindsight only Jackie Bradley stands out.

any thoughts on Alex Jackson? he'll probably need a standout season to push him as a viable top 5 guy. If the Twins draft him, should probably let him give up catching and have him be a power bat. Catching has more value, but a potential 30hr OF needs to be considered..

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 194 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyhawaii View Post
    any thoughts on Alex Jackson? he'll probably need a standout season to push him as a viable top 5 guy. If the Twins draft him, should probably let him give up catching and have him be a power bat. Catching has more value, but a potential 30hr OF needs to be considered..
    I guess I don't think the Twins need to go out of their way to talk themselves into another outfielder. And I want nothing to do with a HS catcher with a high pick.

Senior Member All-Star
    Jackson is currently 6 on my draft list and is one of the most elite bats in this draft. He is definitely in the mold of Harper and Myers who could possibly play catcher but his bat might be too valuable to not rush in the minors. He didn't have the greatest show circuit this summer but could easily become a top 5 pick with a good senior year.

Senior Member All-Star
    From BA's Clint Longenecker on Mr.Jackson at the Arizona Senior Fall Classic:

Alex Jackson (Rancho Bernardo HS, Escondido, Calif.), one of the top position players in the country, was an offensive force Friday. Jackson went 2 for 4 but hit everything hard with good exit velocity up the middle.

Jackson hit a shot deep to dead center field close to the base of the wall 410 feet from home plate that the defender made an error on in his first plate appearance. In his third trip to the plate, Jackson roped a triple that one-hopped the center field fence. He sent a screaming liner back up the box that nearly killed the pitcher in his next plate appearance. Jackson walked and struck out looking in his other two plate appearances.

“I have been working on compacting my swing because this summer. I didn’t have time to sit there and load against big velocity, I have been working on firing quickly,” Jackson said. “It’s definitely something I have worked on and it has been feeling great.”

Jackson, who has seen most of his time behind the plate and some time in the right field, played third base for the Yankees Scout Team Friday.
    “I grew up playing short and have probably played about five games at third since freshman year but I take ground balls every once in a while to keep my hands going,” Jackson said.

Arizona Senior Fall Classic: Day 2 Notes - BaseballAmerica.com

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 63 Posts
    BA released its preliminary top 50 list today.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    That's a lot of pitching in the top 10, and around 30......thankfully.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    BA released its preliminary top 50 list today.
    Beat me to it! This is a must read for people who are interested in the draft. While prospects will rise and fall before the draft most of these guys will still be first/second round picks. BA has an amazing track record.

Senior Member All-Star
    QUOTE=mike wants wins;172650]That's a lot of pitching in the top 10, and around 30......thankfully.[/QUOTE]

"Rodon and Hoffman typify the power arms from both the college and high school classes that should be the strength of the 2014 draft. Last year, for example, at the Perfect Game All-American Classic in San Diego, one pitcher touched 94 mph: eventual No. 4 pick Kohl Stewart. This year, nine high school hurlers hit 95 or better, with the top velocity belonging to Tyler Kolek, who hit 99 mph and is the top high school player in the class.The high school pitching class is as deep as it has been in years and is replete with big velocity arms that could go in the first 50 picks."

Not only does this year have ton of pitching depth but also a ton of velocity. Add in 3 potential SS prospects in the top 11 and I don't think we will have the same old BPA vs Need debate we have every year. This draft stacks perfectly for the Twins to get both of those to match up.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 37 Posts
    I wonder if the Twins would take Burdi again with their second pick. Johnson likes flame throwing relievers.

17. This user likes gunnarthor's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (12-19-2013)

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 301 Times in 179 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I doubt Rodon or Hoffman are still there at 5... Hoping one of Gatewood/Kolek is.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I doubt Rodon or Hoffman are still there at 5... Hoping one of Gatewood/Kolek is.
    I agree that by the time the Twins draft at 5 both should be gone but I wouldn't be disappointed to get Kolek. Would be almost the exact thing as last year with Stewart. Miss out on the college guys just to have the best high school player fall into your lap. I'm a big Kolek and Turner fan so I hope one is there at 5

Senior Member All-Star
    Matt Garrioch at MinorLeagueBall is getting ready to start up his draft coverage. He is starting it with regional coverage for anyone interested in learning a bit more about draft prospects. Here is his first region, Atlantic Region, which he released today and boy is it loaded:

2014 MLB Draft: Atlantic Region-College Discussion - Minor League Ball

I have to think that Kolek will not fall to us. Pitchers who are 18 and throw 100 don't generally fall. However, this is supposed to be a deep draft. so here's hopeing. As a back up I'd like to see them get either gatewood which is possible or turner (also probably not going to happen.) I think the pick right now is going to be Jackson.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast