Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mocks: 2014 MLB Draft (Twins Pick #5)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 70 Times in 48 Posts
    Chris Crawford helped with Law's list. Here are his, FREE, top college hitters and top HS pitchers lists.

HS pitchers:
    Top 14 for ?14: High School Pitchers |

College Hitters:
    Top 14 for ?14: College Hitters |

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    When I think of Davidson I think of Chris Parmelee, but maybe that's just because they both put on a power display at the Metrodome in prep showcases.

I really hope all the prep arms sort themselves out in a clear pecking order. As HS arms are the most unpredictable, chosing the wrong one would be glaringly obvious down the road. At least if there was a concensus on the order, no one can really say the wrong choice was made as the majority was in agreement.
    Kolek, Holmes, and Aiken are all fighting for the top HS pitching spot. Kolek has the fastball that hits 100. Holmes had an amazing summer and shows a chance to have 3 plus pitches. Aiken is a projectable lefty and who doesn't like them? Should be an interesting battle to see who goes first for the HS arms.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Chris Crawford helped with Law's list. Here are his, FREE, top college hitters and top HS pitchers lists.

HS pitchers:
    Top 14 for ?14: High School Pitchers |

College Hitters:
    Top 14 for ?14: College Hitters |
    Early on all the talk was how 9 different HS arms were hitting 95 MPH or higher during the summer showcase. Those scouting reports don't indicate too many guys with +velocity. What's happening here? Is Crawford not buying into those figures or are most of the power arms just not ranked as high? After reading those scouting reports, I still would only want Kolek at #5. Low 90's fastballs need not apply.

Senior Member All-Star
    Holmes pitched today at the World Wood Bat Association WC and here is Jim Callis' report on him:

Pitching for the Evoshield Canes, Holmes worked the first four innings of a 1-0 win over the Ontario Blue Jays. The right-hander was very efficient, throwing 36 of 49 pitches for strikes. He averaged 92 mph with his fastball and topped out at 97. The life on his fastball and his ability to locate it where he wanted were just as impressive.
    A Florida recruit, Holmes also worked effectively with a slider that sat at 80-81 mph. While his frame looks a little shorter and thicker than his listed 6-foot-2 and 190 pounds, he's strong and doesn't throw with a lot of effort. His coach didn't make any fans among the many observers when he had Holmes intentionally walk Ontario's top 2014 prospect, outfielder Gareth Morgan, in the first inning.

While most prospects are gassed right now from throwing all summer Holmes can still reach back and hit 97 (highest I have heard him throw). Pretty impressive. Full report below:

World Wood Bat Association World Championship showcases high school stars | MLB.com: News

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Early on all the talk was how 9 different HS arms were hitting 95 MPH or higher during the summer showcase. Those scouting reports don't indicate too many guys with +velocity. What's happening here? Is Crawford not buying into those figures or are most of the power arms just not ranked as high? After reading those scouting reports, I still would only want Kolek at #5. Low 90's fastballs need not apply.
    You can add Holmes to your list at #5. Sitting at 93 is more than adequate considering he has two other good pitches already. I agree though that the list was a little underwhelming but I like 4 pitchers in next year's draft at this point and could settle for Gatewood so I think the Twins will land someone I like.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    You can add Holmes to your list at #5. Sitting at 93 is more than adequate considering he has two other good pitches already. I agree though that the list was a little underwhelming but I like 4 pitchers in next year's draft at this point and could settle for Gatewood so I think the Twins will land someone I like.
    Holmes has really come on strong and I'm really starting to like him. He pitched today and sat in the 92-95 range. Callis gunned one pitch at 97 last week which is pretty impressive this late in the year. As kab said he also has more than just a above average fastball.

Senior Member All-Star
    Chris Crawford released his top 14 HS position player list, probably the one most fans who want a college arm care least about, and here is what he had to say about the class.

"On paper, this is a better class of high-school hitters than last year to start the year, with more quality at the top and quantity of guys that could go early as well. In particular it’s a much better middle-infield class, though last year was among the worst I’ve seen in my time doing this. It’s a bit light in terms of left-handed bats — and there’s more volatility in this group than last year — but I see enough offensive upside in the prep bats to at least partially make up for the lack of quality and quantity on the college side to start the year."

His next will be college pitchers but tell then here is his HS position player list. Lots of interesting talent.

Top ?14 for 14: High School Hitters |

Senior Member All-Star
    For those of you only want the Twins to draft a college pitcher here is Christopher Crawford's top college pitcher list:

Top 14 for ?14: College Pitchers |

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Jim Callis and Jon Mayo put together their first mock today, each picking a player for each team in the top 10. Check it out:

http://ht.ly/rrTjc

SPOILER:
    V

Jackson and Beede

Myself, I've been leaning Kolek, Hoffman or Turner but I understand Jackson especially with the Mauer move. I still don't like it, but I'd get it.

Also, Jim Callis hopped on Twitter and a couple Twins questions came up:

callis.JPG
    Last edited by InfraRen; 12-04-2013 at 12:33 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter: @Infraren

Till I Collapse

Liked 320 Times in 190 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Really interesting take that the Twins "need arms more". I'd probably argue that the single biggest position of need in the organization right now is hands down shortstop, and unless Polanco sticks there (which I think will happen starting next season at Fort Myers) there really is not much top talent in the organization. Left hand pitching is likely need number 2 and second base close need number three. I think that the Twins are set up with right hand pitching for a while...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by InfraRen View Post
    Jim Callis and Jon Mayo put together their first mock today, each picking a player for each team in the top 10. Check it out:

http://ht.ly/rrTjc

SPOILER:
    V

Jackson and Beede

Myself, I've been leaning Kolek, Hoffman or Turner but I understand Jackson especially with the Mauer move. I still don't like it, but I'd get it.

Also, Jim Callis hopped on Twitter and a couple Twins questions came up:

callis.JPG
    They also released his their first top 50 list:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/wat...14/#list=draft

Senior Member All-Star
    Also, Christopher Crawford released his own top 50 list today. For people trying to research for the draft it is a good read. Link below:

http://mlbdraftinsider.com/2013/12/t...way-too-early/

13. This user likes cmb0252's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (12-04-2013)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by InfraRen View Post
    I like Jackson a lot if he sticks at catcher. The Twins are likely to give him every shot to stick there, so I'd be happy if they end up with him.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    The International League is where to find SSs, too many Americans eat their way out of SS or don't hit as well as the Internationals. There appears to be several pitchers that project very high--it would be a mistake to pass on one given the market demand for starting pitching. My favorite is Aiken, a LH, HS player from around San Diego.

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    The International League is where to find SSs, too many Americans eat their way out of SS or don't hit as well as the Internationals. There appears to be several pitchers that project very high--it would be a mistake to pass on one given the market demand for starting pitching. My favorite is Aiken, a LH, HS player from around San Diego.
    I agree on pitcher - that's my first choice. And you have a point on SS, Kwak - that's why I lean Turner if we go position player. He's a speed demon, and projects to stay there with his lean build. I feel like having him on the basepaths with Buxton and then having guys like Arcia, Sano to drive them in would be a slick combo.

Gatewood is very intriguing with his power, but they worry about hitting overall - also, he's likely to bulk up to 3B and with Pelotero we obviously don't need that.

Yeah, so for me it would be BPA (Best Pitcher Available) then Turner, then probably Jackson.

LONG time left though, things will change, just fun to get talks started!
    Last edited by InfraRen; 12-04-2013 at 03:14 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter: @Infraren

Till I Collapse

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    We needed pitching when we drafted Buxton. Every organization would say they could use more pitching, it has always been important. I don't want to be that guy saying "Take the Best Player available," but I'll bite. WE NEED TO TAKE THE PLAYER WITH THE HIGHEST TO FLOOR RATIO. I don't care if it is SS, pitching, or OF. If you think an outfielder has a chance to be the best of the bunch…take him.

I would rather have an abundance of A/B level OF prospects than a Kevin Gausman or the best pitcher on the board. Pitchers have a high level of flame out and a high level of Tommy Johnness. Now, I am not against taking a pitcher number 5, I am simply stating that an OF or even 1b/C option is not out of the question.

P.S. I hope that Beede finds some command this season because I loved that guy out of high school and think he still has all the makings of an ace.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    I like MLB's Draft coverage because it's free, it has videos, and helps people put names to faces. Sadly they don't update the information regularly. I'm warming up to Alex Jackson but still like Kolek best at five. The problem with focusing on Pitching is the 4 teams ahead of the Twins need pitching badly. If the top bat is there at five, take it.

19. This user likes maxisagod's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

InfraRen (12-04-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Interesting draft class. We should do BPA but I hope Kolek falls to us. A guy to sorta watch could be Sean Newcomb. The lefty plays in an inferior league so he'll be a complete scout pick but he has good size. He could climb up the draft boards.

I don't think we take High School Pitcher again. I too would like Turner to be our SS of the future. Does project to stay a SS?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Most definitely projects to stay at SS. He's a pretty polished college guy whos best tool is his speed. Though a few have questioned if he's going to have enough bat.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast