Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mocks: 2014 MLB Draft (Twins Pick #5)

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Twitter
    @InfraRen
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts

The Mocks: 2014 MLB Draft (Twins Pick #5)

Fresh Mock Draft From Dan Kirby (MLB.com/TTFBaseball)

TOP 5

1. Houston Astros — Carlos Rodon, LHP, North Carolina State

2. Miami Marlins — Trea Turner, SS, North Carolina State

3. Chicago White Sox — Jacob Gatewood, SS, Clovis HS (CA)

4. Chicago Cubs — Jeff Hoffman, RHP, East Carolina

5. Minnesota Twins — Tyler Kolek, RHP, Sheppard HS (TX)
    After selecting flamethrower Kohl Stewart fourth-overall this year, the Twins can add another power arm in Kolek, a 6’-6”, 240 pound right-hander who can touch triple-digits with his fastball. I got to see him throw at Wrigley and he was hitting 99 mph with ease. He also shows a good feel for a slider that has plus potential. His size suggests even more velocity could be coming, and he has great body control considering his frame. He has been timed at 4.8 in the 40, showing great athleticism. He is another in a long line of country strong, hard throwers from the state of Texas.

Read more at 2014 MLB mock draft 2.0: Draft order set

2014 MLB mock draft 2.0: Draft order set
    Last edited by John Bonnes; 10-06-2013 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Please only publish excerpts of stories.
    Till I Collapse

Twitter
    @InfraRen
    I find myself pulling for Kolek, Gatewood or Hoffman right now. But I also have a lot of "research" to do still.
    Till I Collapse

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 364 Times in 192 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Too funny that there are mocks for the 2014 draft already... interesting reading the names, but will be interesting to see what happens from February through May.

Twitter
    @InfraRen
    Yup! Very early, figured I'd start the thread and we can post/discuss as the months go by inching towards the draft!
    Till I Collapse

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely silly to have this here already.
    Thank you!

I'm sure we'll get a lot of movement on these lists. Kohl Stewart wasn't even on the list of top prep players until he was well into his senior year. (or so I read)
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
    Last year at this time I the top five seemed to be Appel, Manaea, Stanek, Meadows and Frazier.

All stayed in the first round and Appel, Meadows and Frazier remained in the top 10. We'll see.

Just for fun, my prediction: Rodon stays on top and goes number one. Hoffman tails off and has question marks like Manaea, falling to the end of round one. Gatewood cruises to a top three pick. Kolek stays hot but others pass him, he stays in the top ten but not top five. Turner hits a roadblock and falls into the 15-20 range. My Jon Gray guess for 2014 is Michael Cederoth who ends up top 3.

Kolek or Turner is who I am really hoping for. Turner would give us a stud at a premium position not to mention a lead off man. Kolek on the other hand gives more pitching depth which the Twins most definitely need.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 800 Times in 503 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by InfraRen View Post
    I find myself pulling for Kolek, Gatewood or Hoffman right now. But I also have a lot of "research" to do still.
    Agreed, we really won't be able to form an opinion till mid spring. These guys (with Rodon who won't be there at 5) are who I'd be looking at very closely.

A 1-2 punch of Stewart/Kolek could be nasty.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Point of order.... How is it decided who gets the fourth pick since the Cubs and Twins had identical records at the end of the year?

I just looked this up the other day when I was hoping we would surpass the Cubs in the draft order. It is by place in the standings if I understood it correctly. I believe either way the Cubs beat the Twins as they were last in their division compared to second to last for the Twins, and second worst in the NL compared to third worst for the Twins.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It goes by last years overall record. Cubs were worse than us last year.

Tie breaker is the prior year's record

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Too funny that there are mocks for the 2014 draft already... interesting reading the names, but will be interesting to see what happens from February through May.
    This is what keeps us going, Seth.

14. These 2 users like Chance's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

AJOHN (12-04-2013), johnnydakota (12-19-2013)

I stand corrected. I must have misinterpreted what I read and it conveniently worked for the Cubs and Twins this year. My apologies.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    Well there you go, this team has a LONG way to go before competing with the Cubs in general suckitude.

Blog Entries
    It maybe be too early to truely guesstimate our 5th overall pick, but we have had nothing to complain about 4 out of the last 5 years from our first round selections. The one blemish maybe Levi Micheal and even with him it's to early to tell. The other 4 were: Kohl Stewart, Byron Buxton, Alex Wimmers, and Kyle Gibson. Odds are we will have another prospect to get excited about in just a few months!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    While it is way too early to mock most of the names we know now will be the same names come draft time. At least when talking about potential top 5 guys. If we had say the 25th pick, we wouldn't be complaining about bring back Gardy, and would be talking about this prematurely.

19. This user likes cmb0252's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (12-19-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Screw Premature. There are some names on this years list that have so much talent they will always stay top 10, Barring injury or religious conversion to football that is.

Rodon is the top talent, unless there is a money issues, he doesn't fall past the White Sox. Turner will always have his talent but could get lapped by guys having better years, but not do to a loss of ability.
    My main prediction will be that teams will commit to their guys early and we'll know who the top 3-4 are 2 weeks in advance.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 68 Times in 47 Posts
    Given what we know currently I think that mock is pretty much on. I don't think Turner will go that high. It seems lots of people prefer power over speed but maybe Turner is just that good. I think Turner will drop. I also have seen Mocks with Kolek at number 3 or 4. If he does well in the spring I don't think he will make it number 5. It would be pretty cool if the Twins did get him though. Two guys that might throw the ball in the triple digits would be pretty cool.

No matter what the order is it appears the Twins will get a difference maker and potential all star. I think the top 10 to 12 players could be incredible this year. Let's just hope the guy we pick is the best guy for this team.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 800 Times in 503 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Point of order.... How is it decided who gets the fourth pick since the Cubs and Twins had identical records at the end of the year?
    What Chance said... Last year's record is the tie breaker.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast