Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mocks: 2014 MLB Draft (Twins Pick #5)

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I always like taking the best player. We didn't need an OF when we took Buxton, and it looks like that should turn out well. Unless one of the stand-out pitchers is available though, I really think we should take Turner. SS is our weakness position depth wise. Turner could be the future.
    I bent my wookie...

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gernzy View Post
    I always like taking the best player. We didn't need an OF when we took Buxton, and it looks like that should turn out well. Unless one of the stand-out pitchers is available though, I really think we should take Turner. SS is our weakness position depth wise. Turner could be the future.
    I agree with you, always take the BPA. That said, I can't help noticing Turner looks like he may be available to us. A college SS some have said is close to major league ready would be hard to pass up. Turner is my #1 choice.

No one likes to lose, but there is a time and place. Buxton, Stewart, and Turner will help us all forget.
    Last edited by howieramone; 12-17-2013 at 10:36 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    I agree with BPA but I admit I hope it's not a short stop. I really hope another pitcher falls to us. Unless Turner is a healthy Tulowiski, I don't like gambling on a MI that high up in the draft.

4. This user likes gunnarthor's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (12-19-2013)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Turner is more in the Jose Reyes mold than Tulowitzki. Gap power with great speed and good defensive instincts. Considering short stop is arguably a greater area of need in the minors than pitcher is now I'd be very happy with Turner.

I'd also be very happy with one of the top pitchers or Alex Jackson.

6. This user likes 2wins87's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

InfraRen (12-20-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 70 Times in 48 Posts
    If Turner can take a step forward this year and prove to scouts he is a true SS, then I'm in. While he doesn't bring power he brings everything else. Solid hit tool, takes walks, and has Buxton like speed. Enough said.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think right now I'd prefer Gatewood or Kolek (assuming something doesn't happen and the Twins can get an ace college pitcher). Turner doesn't excite me that much.

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    I like Gatewood, and I've kind of tuned him out since they think he'll be a 3B (with Sano in place) but I should think more BPA. By the time they get to majors, never know, players could be hurt/traded, etc.

That said, I'm still leaning pitcher if we can - Kolek if there, otherwise I do like Turner - I think he could be an awesome table-setter along with Buxton for Arcia, Sano, Mauer to drive in.
    Follow me on Twitter: @Infraren

Till I Collapse

The more I read about these guys the more I hope for Jackson or Turner. Turner may not be that exciting but he has speed to burn and gives the Twins another solid position player with a very good glove at SS. Jackson looks like he could develop into another solid backstop but with power. Even if he fails at Catcher he can move to the OF where his bat and arm will fit just fine. He reminds me a little bit of Bryce Harper. A Catcher who if moved to the OF will move quicker through the system. Obviously he doesn't have the power or all around talent of Harper

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    If Turner can take a step forward this year and prove to scouts he is a true SS, then I'm in. While he doesn't bring power he brings everything else. Solid hit tool, takes walks, and has Buxton like speed. Enough said.
    For me the questions are more about the hit tool and showing enough power to rack up doubles and triples with 5-10 HR's. Basically I need to see more Jose Reyes potential than Billy Hamilton (speed and walks with questionable hit tool, defense and little power). Obviously he won't be Reyes but maybe Rollins/Furcal.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i'm guessing the twins will be tempted mightily by aaron nola out of l.s.u. at #5. too much grit there to overlook and i'm guessing after following eades this year that they fell in love.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    For me the questions are more about the hit tool and showing enough power to rack up doubles and triples with 5-10 HR's. Basically I need to see more Jose Reyes potential than Billy Hamilton (speed and walks with questionable hit tool, defense and little power). Obviously he won't be Reyes but maybe Rollins/Furcal.
    Turner has a little loft in his swing so I can see him hitting a dozen home runs a year but not much more. What worries me is if he proves he is closer to Reyes he won't make it to us. Those damn white Sox love freak athletes. Either way this is a solid draft, especially at the top, and we should get an elite talent at 5.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Vervehound View Post
    i'm guessing the twins will be tempted mightily by aaron nola out of l.s.u. at #5. too much grit there to overlook and i'm guessing after following eades this year that they fell in love.
    While Nola screams Twin's type player I just don't see him being a top 5 or top 10 talent. Ryan has gone for upside the last two drafts and I see him doing that again this year.

15. This user likes cmb0252's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

InfraRen (12-20-2013)

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Turner has a little loft in his swing so I can see him hitting a dozen home runs a year but not much more. What worries me is if he proves he is closer to Reyes he won't make it to us. Those damn white Sox love freak athletes. Either way this is a solid draft, especially at the top, and we should get an elite talent at 5.
    Honestly Turner doesn't excite me unless something changes this spring. I'll be thrilled if the Sox take him.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    A top 5 selection should be used to draft a guy who might be great--a big "impact" player--and not on someone who is more likely to be a "good" player. Teams generally prioritize on: 1) probable sluggers huge HR guys; 2) "ace" starting pitchers; 3) the all-around guy .300 avg/ 20 HR/ defense/ speed. The Twins should do likewise--raise the projection bar, and look for a star!

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    A top 5 selection should be used to draft a guy who might be great--a big "impact" player--and not on someone who is more likely to be a "good" player. Teams generally prioritize on: 1) probable sluggers huge HR guys; 2) "ace" starting pitchers; 3) the all-around guy .300 avg/ 20 HR/ defense/ speed. The Twins should do likewise--raise the projection bar, and look for a star!
    A .285 hitter that takes a walk with 40double/10HR power and 50+SB with acceptable SS defense is an "impact" player. Not to mention that he is a college player with a higher floor and is closer to the majors.

I wouldn't have a problem if the Sox took Turner because then it becomes more likely that one of the top pitchers drops.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    The Twins can always sign a decent shortstop in free agency, but how many true ACEs will this franchice sign in FA? besides withg a true ace you can trade him for 2 SS and a CF if need be

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    The Twins can always sign a decent shortstop in free agency, but how many true ACEs will this franchice sign in FA? besides withg a true ace you can trade him for 2 SS and a CF if need be
    This is not true.

21. This user likes kab21's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Twins Twerp (12-19-2013)

Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
    Part of me wants to keep loading up the minors with potential aces, since the odds of us signing a true ace in the next decade seem remote, but
    a) we have a lot of high upside pitchers in the low minors, and
    b) Turner intrigues me

23. This user likes amjgt's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

InfraRen (12-20-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 205 Times in 83 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Instead of BPA (best player available), this draft calls for the best college-level starting pitcher available (BCLSPA!). Reason? The depth of college-level talent in draft, the Twins need for starting pitching, and finally, this quote from Michael Lewis' Moneyball. as Billy Beane and the Oakland A's positioned themselves for the 2002 amateur draft:

(Bill James) looked into the history of the draft and discovered that ‘college players are a better investment than high school players by a huge, huge, laughably huge margin.’ The conventional wisdom of baseball insiders—that high school players were more likely to become superstars—was also demonstrably false... Paul DePodesta, the head of R & D for the Oakland A’s, made his own study of (Bill James’ theory). As a result of that study, the Oakland A’s front office, over the silent shrieks of their own older scouts were about to implement a radical new idea about young men and baseball (pgs. 98-99).

Four to watch between now and June:

Carlos Rodon, LHP, North Carolina State
    Jeff Hoffman, RHP, East Carolina
    Brandon Finnegan, LHP, Texas Christian
    Tyler Beede, RHP, Vanderbilt

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Well, here's hoping that enough elite guys have boom seasons in 2014 so the Twins can scoop up someone who could end up being the best talent at 5.

As for Turner, he has the most potential for a lead balloon drop down the charts than anyone. If his home run production drops, or an injury affects his speed or defense for a second year in a row, he'll be more of a top 15-20 pick. If he has a on year, than yeah he's a top five talent who looks good in our near future line up. But if Santana shows he's a great prospect this year or Polanco shows he can handle Short, will people still be pulling for him?

26. This user likes maxisagod's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

InfraRen (12-20-2013)

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast