Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Article: Available For Order: 2014 Offseason Handbook!

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    John has been tied up with other projects for the past month. He didn't have much time to dedicate to this year's handbook.
    Well we'll just have to pressure him to provide a blueprint. The other three should provide enough fodder for discussion. Let's just ship Eddie Rosario off . . . .

Anyway, am I the only one who has read this damn thing?

Blog Entries
    By the way, it's early this year. It was always after the WS was over before.

I mean the WS is over, essentially, anyway.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Anyway, am I the only one who has read this damn thing?
    I haven't.

No, really, I haven't... Read about half of it while I was designing the book but haven't had a chance to sit down and read it in order.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,215 Times in 725 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I mean the WS is over, essentially, anyway.
    The Yankees won the WS in 2009 after losing game 1 by a 6-1 score. But this year the Cards lost 8-1. There's no coming back from something like that.

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I read it and found it thoroughly enjoyable to the point of starting a thread with my own blue print. I would love to see other blue prints as the ones I read I felt were weak (just my opinion but I think more can be done)

I hope eventually John gives us a blue print as well.

Super Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 484 Posts
    Okay ... late to the party as usual ... just ordered and downloaded it ... didn't order it last year ... wow! Will enjoy reading this when work lets up! Tomorrow.

Senior Member Double-A Wookiee of the Year's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I read it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Thought it was funny you listed the agent for the top tier Free Agents (don't remember that from last year)--but I imagine that means a lot to some people.

Definitely enjoyed Seth's breakdown of potential 40 Man roster additions (especially know it's the reason I'm posting this on Page 8 of the Comments section).

Very surprised Seth's blueprint included trading Eddie Rosario for Homer Bailey. Bailey's a great pitcher, don't get me wrong, but is one year of him (in 2014, no less) worth Rosario? I know you required negotiating an extension, but I guess my reaction is, why not just wait until next offseason to target him as a FA? He'll probably cost you similar dollars as the extension would, and you don't have to sacrifice a prospect.

I've put together my own blueprint I'll likely share at some point--don't know what the best venue for that is.

Blog Entries
    Yeah I am going to work on a blueprint too. I want nothing to do with trading any legit top prospect this year. No way. I am really not interested in trading for a pitcher with one or more such prospect instead of just buying the same quality pitcher!

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiee of the Year View Post
    Very surprised Seth's blueprint included trading Eddie Rosario for Homer Bailey. Bailey's a great pitcher, don't get me wrong, but is one year of him (in 2014, no less) worth Rosario? I know you required negotiating an extension, but I guess my reaction is, why not just wait until next offseason to target him as a FA? He'll probably cost you similar dollars as the extension would, and you don't have to sacrifice a prospect.

I've put together my own blueprint I'll likely share at some point--don't know what the best venue for that is.
    I would absolutely not trade Rosario for one year of Bailey, or anyone. Hence the extension. You make a good point, but I think once he would become a free agent, he could get more years and dollars because he's so young for a free agent. If there's no extension, there'd be no deal, for sure.

I don't mind trading a Rosario type prospect for an ace. I'd love a second half rotation of Bailey, Gibson, Meyer, etc., etc. It'd be encouraging.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I don't mind trading a Rosario type prospect for an ace. I'd love a second half rotation of Bailey, Gibson, Meyer, etc., etc. It'd be encouraging.
    Yeah, but I think that this means that Dozier will be a better second baseman than Rosario. And I am not convinced of that yet, since I remember the year that Christian Guzman had in 2001. I'd rather trade Dozier high, if I had to...

On the other hand, there are several prospects (like Kepler and Harrison and a bunch of RPs ) who would be good trade bait.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Yeah, but I think that this means that Dozier will be a better second baseman than Rosario. And I am not convinced of that yet, since I remember the year that Christian Guzman had in 2001. I'd rather trade Dozier high, if I had to...

On the other hand, there are several prospects (like Kepler and Harrison and a bunch of RPs ) who would be good trade bait.
    You're not going to get a Homer Bailey type for Dozier (or Kepler, Harrison, RPs). Trading Rosario is a "to-get-something-you-have-to-give-up-something." It's not at all saying Dozier will be better than Rosario will be.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    You're not going to get a Homer Bailey type for Dozier (or Kepler, Harrison, RPs). Trading Rosario is a "to-get-something-you-have-to-give-up-something." It's not at all saying Dozier will be better than Rosario will be.
    I was talking preference of trading Dozier before Rosario. And I suspect that Rosario will not be enough for Bailey as well...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Blog Entries
    I like Homer Bailey and I am for exploring some sort of trade scenario, but I am not interested in trading that level of prospect for a pitcher who isn't a markedly better pitcher than several on the damn free agent market who can just be signed.

You won't take my money. Paypal won't let me use a lebanon based credit card..... can't I pay without Paypal?

Senior Member Double-A Wookiee of the Year's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like Homer Bailey and I am for exploring some sort of trade scenario, but I am not interested in trading that level of prospect for a pitcher who isn't a markedly better pitcher than several on the damn free agent market who can just be signed.
    See, that's part of the issue, though--while I wouldn't want to trade Rosario for a year of Bailey + an extension, a team in Win Now Mode that needs pitching might be willing to. My guess is the Reds wouldn't accept much less than a Rosario-level prospect.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678