Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Terry Ryans Rules for constructing a low cost, risk averse winner as i see it part I

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    The combined WAR for all Twins starters is exceded by every Detroit starter except Porcello who had a 3.2 WAR. That 3.2 WAR as a 5th starter made him by WAR the 36th best pitcher in MLB. As Detroit will attest, you need a good bullpen. A good bullpen doesn't do much for you when there is nothing there to protect.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Verlanders 4.6 WAR cost 20 million the Twins bullpen cost half that with 6.7 WAR. we have 2.1 more WAR with an extra 10 million to spend. I just compared their value. and I would rather have the extra WAR even though Verlander is more entertaining.
    Budget for salary is one (soft) constraint. The 25-man active roster limit is another (hard) constraint. WAR/dollar is fine but you can't assemble a 20+ WAR pitching staff, like Detroit did, one Casey Fein (0.4 WAR) at a time - unless you are allowed to use 50 men.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Budget for salary is one (soft) constraint. The 25-man active roster limit is another (hard) constraint. WAR/dollar is fine but you can't assemble a 20+ WAR pitching staff, like Detroit did, one Casey Fein (0.4 WAR) at a time - unless you are allowed to use 50 men.
    I'd add that innings are also a hard constraint. You have a finite amount of innings to accumulate WAR so if you're counting by WAR you need good pitchers in those innings.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 58 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seeing as how the Tigers bullpen blew 1 excellent start and put another one of his starts out of reach against Boston in the playoffs I bet the Tigers would like to rethink their bullpen which also goes back to the mean argument I presented with this article. If you have excellent starting and a bad or below average bullpen vs an average rotation and a great bullpen you end up in the same area for team ERA. While the Tigers have the best rotation in the league, they didn't lead the American league in ERA as the Royals did that. When the pitching matches up aggregately then it comes down to inches to who will win the most and for the Twins those inches are found in the other rules I have been posting showing how the Twins gain those inches. There will be another post coming soon.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Seeing as how the Tigers bullpen blew 1 excellent start and put another one of his starts out of reach against Boston in the playoffs I bet the Tigers would like to rethink their bullpen which also goes back to the mean argument I presented with this article. If you have excellent starting and a bad or below average bullpen vs an average rotation and a great bullpen you end up in the same area for team ERA. While the Tigers have the best rotation in the league, they didn't lead the American league in ERA as the Royals did that. When the pitching matches up aggregately then it comes down to inches to who will win the most and for the Twins those inches are found in the other rules I have been posting showing how the Twins gain those inches. There will be another post coming soon.
    Everyone knew the Tigers bullpen wasn't a strength. They just don't seem to assemble very good bullpens. Boston, however, has done very well with their bullpen. Also, the Tigers didn't lose that series because of their bullpen, they lost it because they scored less than 3 runs in 4 of the 6 games. Hard to win if you can't score.

I'm looking forward to your coming posts.
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 10-21-2013 at 12:51 PM. Reason: It didn't need the Post Script
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts
    One could argue the managerial decisions were every bit as liable as the actual bullpen performance. The real downfall was what Smerf alluded to - Boston's starters matched Detroits which negated a huge strength.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123