Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Rookie Review: Ryan Pressly

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 346 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Rookie Review: Ryan Pressly

Him and Theilbar make me glad that the bullpen is in a good place for next year.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pressly has options, of course, and needs to be sent to Rochester to be a starter. If that doesn't go well by mid-season, then I think he can safely have his old job back. The other option is to put him in higher-leverage positions.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really am not convinced that Pressly is a good long term option from the bullpen. I have a strong conviction that he'll have a big sophomore slump, but the question is how far?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Pressly has options, of course, and needs to be sent to Rochester to be a starter. If that doesn't go well by mid-season, then I think he can safely have his old job back. The other option is to put him in higher-leverage positions.
    Again, I don't understand what about his mediocre to bad 2011 and 2012(and that was at A+) as starter inspires this line of thinking. Sending him down strikes me as an utter waste of time, little chance he emerges to be a better option than the mediocrity we already have at AAA. He's a decent reliever with a good shot at being a good, cheap one for the next few years, I'm happy with that.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,179 Times in 1,689 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iastfan112 View Post
    Again, I don't understand what about his mediocre to bad 2011 and 2012(and that was at A+) as starter inspires this line of thinking. Sending him down strikes me as an utter waste of time, little chance he emerges to be a better option than the mediocrity we already have at AAA. He's a decent reliever with a good shot at being a good, cheap one for the next few years, I'm happy with that.
    I share this view. The Red Sox consciously converted him from starter to reliever. It's not impossible that the Twins' talent evaluators could have noticed something their Red Sox counterparts overlooked when they made this judgement, and if they feel this is the case then go for it; but lacking a reason to think the Sox are bad at their jobs I tend to see this as an undertaking with low odds of success.

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Let Pressley continue in long relief. If, after another successful year, we still need a righthand starter, then the Twins can try him out. I see no reason to send him back to AAA for any reason at this time.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pressley needs to improve to help the Twins. Twins have options at what he does, unless you feel that 2 years of that for cheap money is his career.

He is young. He can/should be stretched out as a starter. He has to learn to get thru a batting order consistently twice and the Twins need to see if he can do it a third time to fully evaluate his place in the organization. He can pitch himself into a job in spring training again. But going back to AAA is not a career killer. If he can't consistently start, then groom him to replace Swarzak. In some ways, Pressley and Diamond replacing Duensing and Swarzak would not be a bad move by the Twins...if not i 2014, especially in 2015.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
    I think the Twins need to look outside the organization to bring in pitchers good enough that turning Pressly into a starter is a non-topic.

Pressly as a starter sounds like more of the same type of AAAA pitch-to-contact starters the Twins already have a legion of.

Pressly's average fastball this last year was almost 94 MPH. We really have no starters that reach that regularly. It is probable that there is a decrease in this if he starts but I still think it is worth a shot. It appears we have plenty of reliever candidates but few starter candidates. I think trying Pressly as a starter makes perfect sense and would be an excellent move.