Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twins Minor League Signings: Offseason '13-14

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 364 Times in 192 Posts
    Blog Entries

Twins Minor League Signings: Offseason '13-14

I thought it would be good to start a thread on Twins minor league signings this offseason. Some will be players that are returning to the Twins, and others will be from outside the organization (starting after the World Series).

Mike Berardino is reporting the Doug Bernier has signed to stay with the Twins.

I can report that James Beresford has signed to stay as well.

Both will be invited to Twins spring training.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    BA reported those both in their most recent transaction log. They also reported the Twins re-signed Virgil Vasquez earlier in the off-season. R&P 14 is in progress and I hope to have something published this weekend.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks guys for keeping up on this. A couple of the players signed will play in the majors I'm sure. We just don't know which ones. I'm not a big fan of zero power middle infielders, but Beresford has hit better as he has advanced--perhaps he can provide competition for Escobar and also provide major league ready middle infield depth.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    It's official on Vasquez, Bernier and Beresford. The Twins also brought back Jermaine Mitchell and Lester Oliveros. (I still think Oliveros will get added to the 40 man)

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Vasquez, Mitchell and Oliveros are all currently playing in Venezuela as well. There are many soon-to-be MiLB FAs that last played with the Twins playing there too. Dakota Watts is the only one currently under team control playing, in addition to the other guys.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    That's, in part, due to the 40 man roster regulation just going into effect.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    According to Matt Eddy (Baseball America), the Twins have re-signed C Jairo Rodriguez, 1B Reynaldo Rodriguez and 3B Deibinson Romero to minor league deals. None of them need to worry about being taken in the Rule 5.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Reynaldo Rodriguez who was in AA last year? This seems odd. One of Hicks or Vargas must be moving to AA, they seem sure there is going to be room for him in AAA? Also for Romero to get at bats either Plouffe gets injured early or Sano starts the year at AA.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    And by odd, I mean for the players to sign. There's nothing wrong with depth for a team, but it seems like these two guys are going to get less at bats than last year.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Of the three, I found the Jairo Rodriguez return the most surprising. Rodriguez was basically used as an organizational-float and I thought he was on borrowed time the whole second-half of the season.

Rodriguez will compete for 1B at-bats in Rochester. Parmelee and Colabello and Vargas and Hicks sandwiched him last year and they'll likely do the same this year. Without much 1B-depth (not that it would be tough to add) at the lower levels too, it makes sense to bring him back.

Romero really improved his standing within the organization after this past year. I would guess he got a ST invite (I bet the others did too) and will be Plouffe's competition. This also will make Sano earn his eventual assignment to Rochester, which also makes sense.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    In the newest installment of minor-league transactions, the Twins have re-signed both LHRP Aaron Thompson and C Dan Rohlfing.

All changes shown here.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    In the newest installment of minor-league transactions, the Twins have re-signed both LHRP Aaron Thompson and C Dan Rohlfing.

All changes shown here.
    I like both of these signings. Thompson has some (very little) big league time and is still just 27. he's got good stuff. Like Jeremy said on Twitter, he could take Duensing's spot.

Dan Rohlfing is a right-handed Chris Herrmann in that he is a very good, athletic defensive catcher who has the ability to play elsewhere. There's value in that for the Twins, but also for Rochester.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I like both of these signings. Thompson has some (very little) big league time and is still just 27. he's got good stuff. Like Jeremy said on Twitter, he could take Duensing's spot.
    The problem with Thompson and the other AAAA LHPs the Twins have is that they are soft tossers. His FB is of the 88 mph variety. Duensing reaches 94-95 and averaged 92.5 the past season. They already have 4 soft tossing lefties (Diamond, Albers, Hernandez -if he stays-, Thielbar) at least (I'd argue that Darnell and Dean are also) ahead of Thompson.

Minor league filler barring injury, I think.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    The problem with Thompson and the other AAAA LHPs the Twins have is that they are soft tossers. His FB is of the 88 mph variety. Duensing reaches 94-95 and averaged 92.5 the past season. They already have 4 soft tossing lefties (Diamond, Albers, Hernandez -if he stays-, Thielbar) at least (I'd argue that Darnell and Dean are also) ahead of Thompson.

Minor league filler barring injury, I think.
    I wouldn't dispute any of that. But I think Diamond and Albers and Dean will get every opportunity to be rotation guys. Hernandez is probably gone. That leaves Duensing and Thielbar with little actual competition. Thompson get a chance to compete, which is never bad, even if the competition is.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,281 Times in 1,747 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    At AAA this year Thompson had a 1.4 WHIP, and he didn't have a lefty-righty split that would suggest a LOOGY role either. Nothing else in his career leads me to forecast him to do even as well as Duensing if he got the chance. I'd see him as organizational depth only.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    I'm pretty much good with any minor league signing. There's little downside. Thompson's a solid left. Darnell and Dean may end up ahead of him, but let it play out. Depth is a good thing.For the record, I would absolutely keep Duensing around.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,281 Times in 1,747 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm more than fine with minor league signings too. I just took issue with the part about replacing Duensing.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Referenced tweet, for the record. I'm assuming that he'll be an NRI, but I wasn't suggesting this means Duensing is out of a job now.

@jeremynygaard: .@skaro21 @SethTweets @MattEddyBA Thompson could compete for Duensing's job; Rohlfing good catching depth.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    The Twins added Edgar Ibarra to the 40-man roster today.

They also signed Wilkin Ramirez to a minor-league deal with a ST invite. Ramirez joins Bernier, Romero, Mitchell, Rohlfing, Oliveros and Thompson as non-roster invites.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    According to Baseball America, the following Twins minor leaguers have become free agents:

Minnesota Twins
    RHP: Nick Blackburn (AAA), Kyle Davies (AA), Cole DeVries (AAA), Deolis Guerra* (AAA), Miguel Munoz (Hi A), Dan Sattler (AA), Manuel Soliman (Hi A), Tom Stuifbergen (AA), Dan Turpen (AA)
    LHP: Nelvin Fuentes (Hi A), Pedro Hernandez (AAA)
    1B: Jeff Clement (AAA)
    2B: Eric Farris (AAA)
    SS: Ray Olmedo (AAA)
    OF: Brian Dinkelman (AAA), Jhonathan Goncalves (Hi A), Angel Morales (AA), Jordan Parraz (AA), Antoan Richardson (AAA)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast