Thread: Vikings D

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts

Vikings D

Lol

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The game wasn't on for me today. Looks like Direct TV did me a favor.

P.S. How do you only run the ball to AP 10 times in the entire game? Regardless of what he went through, football is his life. I think he'd have liked to get more opportunities.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 179 Times in 102 Posts
    They were getting their ass kicked the entire game. No reason to be running AD to possibly risk injury in a meaningless game.

Additionally, in his early runs he wasn't getting much yardage at all (because once again the Vikes had no passing threat)

At this point, Speilman and Fraiser almost certainly have to go. I like Fraiser a lot, but 3 years in and this team doesn't look like a contender.

Hopefully freeman can turn this team around a bit, however with this **** defense, I don't see any way they win more than 6 games even with a kick ass offense.

1. Get rid of this whole coaching staff. I like Leslie, he seems like a good guy. But he's a bad head coach. Which would be fine if he surrounded himself with talented assistant coaches. But he's surrounded by morons.

2. Stop this bull**** ass Tampa 2 defense. Move to a 3-4 and start rebuilding the defense.

3. If there name isn't Harrison Smith, Patterson, Kahlil or Floyd...they should be available for trades.

4. I wanna give Speilman a break, but he left so many holes on this defense. The secondary is one of the worst I've ever seen in my life.

Blow it up and hopefully they'll be ready to compete by the time Ziggy's bull**** stadium opens.

Senior Member Triple-A
    What's more embarassing: The Twins starting rotation, or the Vikings secondary?

The Vikings QB trump both.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pius Jefferson View Post
    The Vikings QB trump both.
    Disagree. the offense is just below middle of the pack in points scored....the defense is trying to become one of the worst in NFL history.
    Lighten up Francis....

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 303 Times in 180 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With the exception last drives of each half, every time Rogers got the ball, he took the Pack down and got points. People rip on the lack of the QB, and they are right... But this D is awful. Wonder if Allen can get traded for a 2nd rounder or something of value for next year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Anytime the Packers were faced with a 3rd down, they would run the same play. Why do the Vikes DB's play so far off their opposing WR's and just allow them these conversions? So painful to watch.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If it is this obvious to us, what are the chances that Frazier is noticing it? Seems like they have some pretty good talent. Harrison Smith being out doesn't help. I wasn't even a fan of the defense with Frazier there.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 339 Times in 193 Posts
    I think the days of the Tampa 2 are over as a predominant scheme. Too many rules have been laxed to help the passing game.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 70 Times in 37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I think the days of the Tampa 2 are over as a predominant scheme. Too many rules have been laxed to help the passing game.
    I agree, but for a different reason.

The theory of the Tampa 2 is to "bend but not break". The thinking is that we don't think you can drive down the field 10+ plays without making a mistake.
    There was a time when that was probably a correct theory, but the NFL has changed. So many good passing attacks now have perfected the high % passing routes, Rodgers, Brady, Brees, P. Manning, etc.
    Good offenses in this day and age are perfectly content and able to go on 10+ play TD drives. They won't try to force the deep ball, they will just take the easy 7 to 15 yard passing plays that the Tampa 2 allows, over and over again, all the way down the field.

The Tampa 2 defense is completely outdated. I think it's pretty telling that Monte Kiffin himself hardly uses it in the traditional sense anymore, that is really all you need to know.

I'm no expert on defenses, but i would love a 3-4 type defense. Complex blitzing schemes. Aggressive man coverage. Of course, it takes talented personel. But yes, this tampa 2 is ridiculous. I swear the only two rules in this defense are dont get beat deep, and tackle your guy right away after you let him catch it.

the cover 2 is a run stopping defense. it is designed to keep the corner on outside leverage and push wide plays i.e. sweeps, pitches, and options inside or bubble the ball carrier to allow pursuit. for the 2 deep zone to work in pass coverage you need quality play from your linebackers, something sadly lacking by the vikings for about a decade.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 339 Times in 193 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    the cover 2 is a run stopping defense. it is designed to keep the corner on outside leverage and push wide plays i.e. sweeps, pitches, and options inside or bubble the ball carrier to allow pursuit. for the 2 deep zone to work in pass coverage you need quality play from your linebackers, something sadly lacking by the vikings for about a decade.
    Very true, I think quality linebacker play is highly underrated by your average fan. It's also underappreciated as a commodity in the NFL.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Correct, LBers and OG are the most undervalued spots in the NFL....

I would guess they'll finally spend some resources on LB this year, either in FA or the draft. Thankfully, we won't see the cover 2 much more.....
    Lighten up Francis....