Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: MLBTraderumors outlook on the Twins

MLBTraderumors outlook on the Twins

A breakdown on the Twins offseason outlook was posted at mlbtraderumors.com today. I think it is worth the read and pretty accurate for where the team currently sits and includes some options for players to add moving forward.

Offseason Outlook: Minnesota Twins: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 362 Times in 184 Posts
    Ubaldo (3 years) would be a great signing. Toss in Hughes(3-4 years) and Pelfrey (2 years) as well and I think you have the makings of a potentially halfway decent rotation if Meyer and Gibson can come along.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Ubaldo (3 years) would be a great signing. Toss in Hughes(3-4 years) and Pelfrey (2 years) as well and I think you have the makings of a potentially halfway decent rotation if Meyer and Gibson can come along.
    With Correia on the roster next season I don't see them signing 3 FA. Gibson, Correia are both locks to start in the rotation and I wouldn't be surprised if the Vanamil is too.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 362 Times in 184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    With Correia on the roster next season I don't see them signing 3 FA. Gibson, Correia are both locks to start in the rotation and I wouldn't be surprised if the Vanamil is too.
    They could trade Correia if need be.

Ideally I would go into 2014 like this:
    1. Ubaldo
    2. Hughes
    3. DeDuno
    4. Gibson
    5. Pelfrey/Correia

In the wings: Vanimal, Meyer, Diamond, Albers

Blog Entries
    They could trade Correia if need be.

Ideally I would go into 2014 like this:
    1. Ubaldo
    2. Hughes
    3. DeDuno
    4. Gibson
    5. Pelfrey/Correia

In the wings: Vanimal, Meyer, Diamond, Albers
    Lol, ideally my rotation would look pretty different...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 56 Times in 45 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I figured Sano would be the competition for Plouffe next season maybe not at the onset but someone like Punto could be brought back as a back up/ competition for both SS or 3rd next season and the idea of signing Aledmys Diaz is impressive. I do not see the Twins going big after pitching so maybe Pelfry and another (Hughes likely) to go with Gibson, Dedunno and Corriea and Vanimal, Diamond, Meyer and Albers as the 6th+starter. The Twins cold sign a 1B (Morneau or other) or a bench bat all the same. the main objective for next season is to see if the bats improve (Parmalee, Plouffe, Arcia, Hicks, Colabello to a lesser extent) plus the up and commers (Pinto, Sano, Buxton and Rosales) and the continuance of Dozier and Florimon and the development of Dedunno and more importantly Meyer and Gibson into the rotation.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Brandon, to me the potential starting pitching for next year as you outline it is a recipe for disaster for sure. That group was terrible this year so why would they be any better in 2014?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    I figured Sano would be the competition for Plouffe next season maybe not at the onset but someone like Punto could be brought back as a back up/ competition for both SS or 3rd next season
    If the Twins will suck, at least they will suck with Little Nicky Punto... and his little kitty cat.
    tumblr_mbi93dskQ01qhauq5o1_500.jpg

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Doing little on starting pitching will lead to another 90+ loss season. At least 2 decent (upper middle) starters need to be signed(and this does not include Pelfrey). Anything else risks losing the fan base.

Im not a smart enough baseball mind to figure this out, but is Ubaldo a 'better' version of Sam Deduno? (you know, live ball, doesnt quite know where its going, gets ground balls, etc)

I hope they do not sign Jimenez as my gut feeling is that he will fall apart again. I have more confidence in Liriano posting up a run of quality seasons than Ubaldo. A guy with that kind of delivery, and struggles as recent as his, should not be deserving of a 3-4 year commitment just because we rightfully panic about our starting staff. But hey, its baseball and weird things happen all the time (Jamie Moyer for example). Personally though, never have been confident in Ubaldo Jimenez and would rather try the Randy Messenger experiment. Messenger,however, cannot be the centerpiece of a rebuilt rotation this offseason. Messenger and Hughes cannot be the centerpiece. But Messenger and Hughes to compliment a trade or Tanaka could lead to an interesting rotation going forward (although I feel Tanaka will be severely overpaid and be a relative disappointment because of his price tag). Then add in a minor league risk guy for insurance (an odd sentence but nonetheless true). If they can't find a decent five man rotation they must have as many options as possible (the safe bets, the developing youngsters, the aging veterans, the risky challenges, all of them). If all else seems to fail, get Johan, Johnson, Messneger, Hughes, Maholm, Lincecum (?), Kazmir (?), Halladay (?), Corriea, Diamond, Deduno, Pelfrey, Albers, Worley, Hendriks, Hernandez, and whoever else I may have missed who can survive to work alongside Gibson at the start of 2014. Survival of the fittest.

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    This, substituting someone like Nolasco for Pelfrey, would make me happy. Nothing the Twins do is going to make starting pitching a positive next year, but that would make a respectable rotation. All I ask is for a halfway competitive team next year. Something better than the dumpster fire of the last three seasons.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 341 Times in 217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the_youngster View Post
    I hope they do not sign Jimenez as my gut feeling is that he will fall apart again. I have more confidence in Liriano posting up a run of quality seasons than Ubaldo. A guy with that kind of delivery, and struggles as recent as his, should not be deserving of a 3-4 year commitment just because we rightfully panic about our starting staff.
    I too worry a bit about Jimenez, though it doesn't stop me from wanting him. Even the bad Jimenez is no worse than what the Twins have run out there the last three years.

My concern with Ubaldo is that he looked totally lost until this year. This year just so happened to be when Terry Francona came aboard. While Francona has a history of having very good pitching talent, he also has a history of getting the best out of that talent. Considering how inconsistant Jimenez, Masterson and Kazmir were before this year, I think it may be a solid guess that Francona and his staff have a knowledge or ability that most teams don't.

I am beyond confident that the Twins do not have this ability, so if Jimenez needs continued refinement and adjustments, whoever gets him is in trouble. If he has learned implicitly from his instruction in Cleveland, I guess he should be fine as he would take that knowledge with him.