Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Paul Molitor Added To Minnesota Twins Coaching Staff

Administrator Double-A Twins Daily Admin's Avatar
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Paul Molitor Added To Minnesota Twins Coaching Staff

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 481 Times in 278 Posts
    This is nothing but good news - someone with a different perspective who might be part of the rebuilding plan.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's interesting, because there are member of the Twins organization that thought Ron Gardenhire was the reason Molitor wasn't added to the staff before this year - that he essentially vetoed it. I don't know if those people were right or not, but it's always seemed strange that he was on the outside looking in, and it seemed especially strange last year. I wonder if that was ever true, or if things have changed or if Gardy just didn't have much say at this point. It should make for an interesting dynamic.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think there's a difference between having Molitor on your staff as a lame-duck manager and having Molitor on your staff after being given a two-year extension. I know there really isn't a difference, but I would view this as a much less threatening move if I was Gardy than I would have last year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, is it safe to assume Molitor will be next-in-line for the manager job? in 2 yrs or less?

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just listened to Molitor's interview on 1500 and I think he pretty much laid out the answers to these questions.

1) he was disappointed he didn't get one of the open coaching spots last year and TR pretty much went with Gardy's preferred choices as coaches.
    2) he and Gardy talked and he got an explanation of the choices that were made (wanted a catcher, wanted a bi-lingual coach, felt Bruno deserved the promotion).
    3) Gardy approached TR about adding a 7th coach this year and suggested Molitor, which caught Molitor a bit by surprise.

It seems logical that Gardy getting the 2 yr extension would make him less uneasy about having Molitor on board, but I don't really buy that as a significant factor for 3 reasons: a) having a 2 yr extension wouldn't prevent the Twins from firing Gardy, so if/when the Twins lose a bunch of games, the speculation of a Molitor replacement will still be there even with the extension, b) really, if you're Gardy and it turns out the Twins are looking like they're going to fire you, what the hell do you care who the replacement is going to be because you're gone either way, and c) I don't think Molitor is going to be the next Twins manager, regardless.

I think it's a good hire.

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    Kind of wish they would have hired someone from outside the organization, preferably someone originally from Latin America.

Still, I like Molitor. Based off his reputation, I hope he can correct some fundamentals. If the Twins are going to bunt, (I don't like the bunt), at least do it right.

Administrator Double-A Twins Daily Admin's Avatar
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    Just listened to Molitor's interview on 1500 and I think he pretty much laid out the answers to these questions.

1) he was disappointed he didn't get one of the open coaching spots last year and TR pretty much went with Gardy's preferred choices as coaches.
    2) he and Gardy talked and he got an explanation of the choices that were made (wanted a catcher, wanted a bi-lingual coach, felt Bruno deserved the promotion).
    3) Gardy approached TR about adding a 7th coach this year and suggested Molitor, which caught Molitor a bit by surprise.

It seems logical that Gardy getting the 2 yr extension would make him less uneasy about having Molitor on board, but I don't really buy that as a significant factor for 3 reasons: a) having a 2 yr extension wouldn't prevent the Twins from firing Gardy, so if/when the Twins lose a bunch of games, the speculation of a Molitor replacement will still be there even with the extension, b) really, if you're Gardy and it turns out the Twins are looking like they're going to fire you, what the hell do you care who the replacement is going to be because you're gone either way, and c) I don't think Molitor is going to be the next Twins manager, regardless.

I think it's a good hire.
    Thanks for posting this Jim. That's very good information.

You guys also got to he has worked with the twins top two prospects Sano and Buxton in the minors so that will help the team out