Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 58

Thread: Suk-Min Yoon

  1. #21
    Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    6,917
    Like
    992
    Liked 1,215 Times in 725 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    BTW, something not mentioned yet...his agent is Scott Boras.
    Hey! Stop posting offensive names.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    580
    Like
    8
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Told by someone I trust that he is "definitely not Ryu!" Was good 3 years ago, but things have gone downhill. Maybe a back-end of rotation guy, maybe a bullpen arm.
    I take Seth's word.
    You gotta laugh though most of the Twins starters sucked last year and now they want to sign a man named Suk.

  3. #23
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    3,786
    Like
    26
    Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    198
    I'd rather see the Twins sing him instead of the usual 30-some suspects they use to fill the Rochester rotation.

    His first name is pronounced "Sook", btw
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  4. #24
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,077
    Like
    14
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    Most organizations this is correct. With the Twins I'm not so sure. Signing Correia would have been fine last year had it not been our "big" FA signing of the off-season. When it comes down to it I just do not trust this front office to improve our team significantly.

    Also a 4.00 ERA and 1.30 whip in Korea is not likely to translate very well in the states.
    His numbers were significantly better previous seasons. the issue is the recent injury and velocity loss and that he has never shown starter durability. You go after him hoping that he bounces back but this should be the 3rd or 4th starter added and you expect him to start him in AAA.

  5. #25
    Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,633
    Like
    0
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    140
    Chatted with someone with the Twins who has seen Yoon, but isn't the point man on this scout/negotiation.

    Really liked Yoon in 2010. Fastball (94), nasty slider (87) and a curve and change to boot. Since then has battled injuries (lost velocity) and attitude issues and went from front line prospect to back-of-the-rotation type. Expects him to "get paid like a 4".

    Says he's talented and signable, but is more "lottery ticket" than anything. Nothing about Ryu, but says there is hope for a "Iwakuma-type revival" (which wouldn't be terrible, imo).

    This line sums it all up: "Better than what we got? Sure. Am I real psyched about it? Eh...."

    His workout is going to really determine everything. I would assume - at the least - that his deal tops the deal the Orioles gave Tsuyoshi Wada (2 yr/$8.15m plus a $5m team option) as a 30-year old in 2011.

    I floated 3/$20 out earlier today and I think, with Boras, that's a decent place to start.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    583
    Like
    3
    Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Told by someone I trust that he is "definitely not Ryu!" Was good 3 years ago, but things have gone downhill. Maybe a back-end of rotation guy, maybe a bullpen arm.
    Sigh. Then why is their buzz on him?

    I predict a depressing off-season...prove me wrong Terry Ryan!

  7. #27
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    3,786
    Like
    26
    Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I floated 3/$20 out earlier today and I think, with Boras, that's a decent place to start.
    I thought that the Twins could do better with 3/$20M as a starting place, but then I realize that this is Blackburn/Correia type money...
    Sad.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  8. #28
    Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,633
    Like
    0
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I thought that the Twins could do better with 3/$20M as a starting place, but then I realize that this is Blackburn/Correia type money...
    Sad.
    Probably the going rate for a 27-year-old #4 starter.

    On a related note, it's a great time to be a professional-ish pitcher.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    877
    Like
    108
    Liked 129 Times in 59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Right, but you need real depth at AAA. Whether it's Deduno or this guy or Albers; those guys are going to end up pitching major league innings, given how often starting pitchers get hurt.

    I just don't see how our interest in this guy reconfirms your disbelief in the Front Office's competence.
    Our interest in this guy in particular doesn't confirm my disbelief in the front office. It's the majority of the guys we have interest in that makes me feel this way.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    580
    Like
    8
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I'd rather see the Twins sing him instead of the usual 30-some suspects they use to fill the Rochester rotation.

    His first name is pronounced "Sook", btw
    Thrylos do you know what Scott Baker's contract status is for 2014? Did he sign a 1 yr or more.

  11. #31
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Posts
    556
    Like
    4
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post

    His first name is pronounced "Sook", btw
    We'll let his performance determine how it should be pronounced

  12. #32
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,112
    Like
    369
    Liked 327 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post

    I just don't see how our interest in this guy reconfirms your disbelief in the Front Office's competence.
    This quote from a Twins inside source and the bolded text reconfirms the FO SOP:

    Says he's talented and signable, but is more "lottery ticket" than anything.

    Nothing about Ryu, but says there is hope for a "Iwakuma-type revival". This line sums it all up: "Better than what we got? Sure. Am I real psyched about it? Eh...."

    According to Jeremy, the bidding would start with Boras at 3/$21 for a pitcher with shoulder issues and declining velocity, who they already acknowledge is at best, a "lotto ticket".

    Further depressing this whole scenario, should Suk prove to be "signable" at $21M (which would be the second highest FA Twins signing, ever), this would, in fact be trumpeted by the FO as THE Big Splash of the offseason (ala Correia), certainly not merely the "AAA depth-seeking" that you proffered.

    Yes, I would question their competence yet again should they go down this path. The Twins have a recent history of casting high-priced players aside, and only reinvesting a smaller percentage of those freed-up dollars back into the club's payroll- with the payroll dropping substantially in both 2012 and 2013. Given the Twins will have freed up only $18-$23M from the 2013 payroll number (depending on what happens with Pelfrey) and forecasting falling revenues in 2014, they would likely only spend enough, in addition to Suk, by getting another retread/bargain bin SP as the secondary signing. Highly unlikely, that in addition to signing Suk, that they will seriously go after another top arm who legitimately projects as top-of-the-rotation potential.
    Last edited by jokin; 10-17-2013 at 01:13 AM.

  13. #33
    The fact that the top current target for this team seems to be an Asian pitcher who's performance has regressed for 3 straight years should tell us all that we need to know about this horrible franchise. We already have plenty of fringe starter/bullpen arms. We'll continue to debate crap like this while other teams spend more money to sign superior talent and we will still spend a couple grand to buy tickets and eat food at the stadium and hope to have a competitive team in 2015 or 2016. Stop the farce and wake up. Ownership does not care more than winning just enough to keep the business cash flowing.

  14. #34
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,112
    Like
    369
    Liked 327 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by twinswest View Post
    The fact that the top current target for this team seems to be an Asian pitcher who's performance has regressed for 3 straight years should tell us all that we need to know about this horrible franchise. We already have plenty of fringe starter/bullpen arms. We'll continue to debate crap like this while other teams spend more money to sign superior talent and we will still spend a couple grand to buy tickets and eat food at the stadium and hope to have a competitive team in 2015 or 2016. Stop the farce and wake up. Ownership does not care more than winning just enough to keep the business cash flowing.
    And I forgot to mention that since the Twins "liked him" in 2010, Suk has developed "attitude issues".....that's sure to go over real big with the anal types in charge at field level.

    Is there a hidden Korean ex-pat demographic I'm unaware of in Minnesota?
    Last edited by jokin; 10-17-2013 at 03:12 PM.

  15. #35
    Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,633
    Like
    0
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    140
    The team is gonna go watch him. Nowhere did anyone suggest he's a "top target". What I posted was one guy's view, and the perception that I get is that he's simply a pitcher that's on the radar (along with many others).

    My best guess is that some other team will like him more. And people will complain the team was too cheap to get him.

  16. #36
    Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    6,917
    Like
    992
    Liked 1,215 Times in 725 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by twinswest View Post
    The fact that the top current target for this team seems to be an Asian pitcher who's performance has regressed for 3 straight years should tell us all that we need to know about this horrible franchise. We already have plenty of fringe starter/bullpen arms. We'll continue to debate crap like this while other teams spend more money to sign superior talent and we will still spend a couple grand to buy tickets and eat food at the stadium and hope to have a competitive team in 2015 or 2016. Stop the farce and wake up. Ownership does not care more than winning just enough to keep the business cash flowing.
    Moderator's note: Please avoid turning a thread about a possible FA acquisition into a debate on front office motives and so forth. Review the TD Comments Policy if necessary:

    http://twinsdaily.com/minnesota-twin...er-2013-a.html

  17. #37
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,112
    Like
    369
    Liked 327 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Moderator's note: Please avoid turning a thread about a possible FA acquisition into a debate on front office motives and so forth. Review the TD Comments Policy if necessary:

    http://twinsdaily.com/minnesota-twin...er-2013-a.html
    ....But......aren't these 2 topics inextricably interlinked?

  18. #38
    The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Posts
    1,623
    Like
    5
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    292
    I think too many people are overlooking the fact that this guy is only 27. It's not like he's a 35-year-old who is losing velocity due to age. He's had some shoulder problems. It's reasonable to believe he could rebound from his health woes and return to his form of a couple years ago, when he was one of Korea's premier talents.

    I'm sure that's why teams will take an interest in him (and I'm also sure that's the idea that Boras will be pushing hard).

  19. #39
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    191
    Like
    0
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    ....But......aren't these 2 topics inextricably interlinked?
    I tend to agree with this sentiment, theses topics are pretty closely linked.

  20. #40
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,112
    Like
    369
    Liked 327 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    I think too many people are overlooking the fact that this guy is only 27. It's not like he's a 35-year-old who is losing velocity due to age. He's had some shoulder problems. It's reasonable to believe he could rebound from his health woes and return to his form of a couple years ago, when he was one of Korea's premier talents.

    I'm sure that's why teams will take an interest in him (and I'm also sure that's the idea that Boras will be pushing hard).
    I don't think people in general are minimizing his past demonstration of his talents or his potential to bounce back. But even an anonymous source inside the Twins confirmed that he still projects as somewhat of a "lottery ticket" signing...and mindful that he isn't envisioned as front-end SP material. Remind me again of when's the last time the Twins were willing to take a flyer with the costs for the flyer starting at 3/$21?....That's what people are talking about...were it to occur, this would be the Twins one and only big offseason signing, with all the risks that it would entail.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.