Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suk-Min Yoon

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries

Suk-Min Yoon

Korean pitcher is starting to draw some buzz as a potential Twins target, per Doogie.

https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/st...82325084991488

Yoon is comparable to Hyun-Jin Ryu, who has had tons of success for the Dodgers, but my understanding is that Yoon is coming off a season where he lost some velocity and pitched out of the bullpen following a shoulder injury. That might make him more affordable. Thoughts?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Well, no posting fee required (so cheaper). Lost velocity. Has had injuries he's recovering from. Seems to meet all the requirements for a Twins signing. :-)
    Just remember: You put the lime IN the coconut. Only THEN, can you drink it all up.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yoon will be our consolation prize when we come up just short on Tanaka

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    <tasteless reference deleted>
    This post won't last long

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatt Crapps View Post
    This post won't last long
    Nor should it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    As to the original post, I don't know enough about any of the international signees to know whether or not we should go after them but I'b glad that we did and hope the scouting guys get it better than Nishi.

Blog Entries
    Puck, we get that you weren't trying to be offensive but probably best to just not reference racially insensitive crap like that, especially on a thread about an Asian pitcher, even if you're not trying to endorse it.

Moving on...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Puck, we get that you weren't trying to be offensive but probably best to just not reference racially insensitive crap like that, especially on a thread about an Asian pitcher, even if you're not trying to endorse it.

Moving on...
    I took it all out..I most certainly do not endorse racism, absolutely the opposite in reality, but Stephen Colbert slamming that news station for posting those names was hilarious (because of all the levels those names had to get to before even getting on the news prompter for the anchor to read) and every once in awhile, it's nice to not take everything so serious and laugh...

But, again, took it all out. I stand by my first post though...just the kind of pitchers we'll go after :-)
    Last edited by ThePuck; 10-16-2013 at 12:54 PM.
    Just remember: You put the lime IN the coconut. Only THEN, can you drink it all up.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can anybody post his stats? Does he strike anybody out or pitch to contact? How old is he?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    Can anybody post his stats? Does he strike anybody out or pitch to contact? How old is he?
    Suk-min Yoon Minor League Statistics & History - Baseball-Reference.com

The right-handed Yoon pitched in 30 games for Kia in 2013, tossing over 87 innings. He posted a 4.00 ERA and 1.36 WHIP while striking out 76 batters.

BTW, something not mentioned yet...his agent is Scott Boras.
    Last edited by ThePuck; 10-16-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thank you Mr. Puck! Doesnt look like his arm has the innings that a Matsuzaka or Davarish or Tanaka might have....but I would still rather have Tananka

Liked 345 Times in 196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Suk-min Yoon Minor League Statistics & History - Baseball-Reference.com

The right-handed Yoon pitched in 30 games for Kia in 2013, tossing over 87 innings. He posted a 4.00 ERA and 1.36 WHIP while striking out 76 batters.

BTW, something not mentioned yet...his agent is Scott Boras.

There is more here historically, though, right?

Because Anthony Swarzak threw 96 innings (albeit over 48 games) with a 2.91 ERA with a 1.156 WHIP in major league ball but only striking out 69.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post

Because Anthony Swarzak threw 96 innings (albeit over 48 games) with a 2.91 ERA with a 1.156 WHIP in major league ball but only striking out 69.
    I only gave what I had readily available...if others have more they should definitely share

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post

Yes. In the past he's been one of the league's stars as a starter, and was voted MVP in 2011 (I think?) but he lost some velocity and converted to a relief role this year due to the shoulder injury. Because of that, he carries some risk, but he'll also come cheaper and at 27 he's got some upside to bounce back.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Told by someone I trust that he is "definitely not Ryu!" Was good 3 years ago, but things have gone downhill. Maybe a back-end of rotation guy, maybe a bullpen arm.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 126 Times in 58 Posts
    Why even bother on someone like this? I'm sick of the bottom of the barrel scraping we continuously do. Go big or go home.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    Why even bother on someone like this? I'm sick of the bottom of the barrel scraping we continuously do. Go big or go home.
    I emphatically disagree with the approach you suggest. To become a winning club you try to find value where ever you can. Including, but not foolishly limited to, going big. Signing a guy like Yoon has nothing to do with whether we go big or not. Sheesh.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 126 Times in 58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    I emphatically disagree with the approach you suggest. To become a winning club you try to find value where ever you can. Including, but not foolishly limited to, going big. Signing a guy like Yoon has nothing to do with whether we go big or not. Sheesh.
    Most organizations this is correct. With the Twins I'm not so sure. Signing Correia would have been fine last year had it not been our "big" FA signing of the off-season. When it comes down to it I just do not trust this front office to improve our team significantly.

Also a 4.00 ERA and 1.30 whip in Korea is not likely to translate very well in the states.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post

Also a 4.00 ERA and 1.30 whip in Korea is not likely to translate very well in the states.
    Right, but you need real depth at AAA. Whether it's Deduno or this guy or Albers; those guys are going to end up pitching major league innings, given how often starting pitchers get hurt.

I just don't see how our interest in this guy reconfirms your disbelief in the Front Office's competence.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    [Moderator removed the post]
    Yes...yes I did...and posted a link of Stephen Colbert's whole hilarious thing about it where he slams the news station for reporting the fake names even though the list had to go through a bunch of people.

Darn it. Timmy had two jobs! Get coffee, and confirm the names of pilots in airline disasters!
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 10-16-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast