Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Twins seek rotation help for second straight offseason

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A lot of much ado about nothing regarding TP's "deception" here. Maybe if Correia was the 2nd best pitcher and Pelfrey the 3rd best pitcher signed by the Twins last season, there could have been actual hope in those two. Correia performed well for a 4-5 starter. Pelfrey is not good (I wonder how many times I have typed this at TD?).

Liked 664 Times in 429 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I read the entire quote from Terry Ryan. I honestly see absolutely nothing wrong with it. Seemed pretty straightforward to me.

However, I also didn't see our 60 year old business manager carrying coffee back to her office when I collided with her this morning. We all see different things I guess.
    "9. Lipstick"

"How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

"I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I read the entire quote from Terry Ryan. I honestly see absolutely nothing wrong with it. Seemed pretty straightforward to me.

However, I also didn't see our 60 year old business manager carrying coffee back to her office when I collided with her this morning. We all see different things I guess.
    Since you're still in good humor I take it that she got burned and not you?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    It should be noted that TR's aversion to risk extends well beyond traditional free agency. He's also never inked a significant international free agent (at least, not before the spending limits were put in place), never went above-slot on a draft choice (again, before the spending caps were adopted), and as much as he was called "Trader Terry" and indeed made some good ones, he has a fairly conservative trade history too -- generally only trading from surplus for modest returns.

I'm starting to think it goes beyond risk aversion. I think TR and the Twins staff/ownership in general approach the team almost like a high school or amateur team: we'll do our best to build a team with the players we're given, and we don't mind taking some lumps because that's the cyclical nature of the game. In some ways, it's refreshing compared to the win-at-all-costs attitude, but it's also frustrating when there is obvious talent here (both on the field, as in 2002-2010, and in the front office) but they seemingly limit themselves to only the most basic methods of player acquisition.
    Technically the Twins have gone over-slot on draft choices, though not at the top of the draft.

I think you are right about the Twins' general attitude but I can't characterize it as even partially 'refreshing' because it's just not very smart, while also being a disservice to fans. In this case it's just baseball, but such rigidity and close-mindedness is an ugly thing in the 'real world'.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    A lot of much ado about nothing regarding TP's "deception" here. Maybe if Correia was the 2nd best pitcher and Pelfrey the 3rd best pitcher signed by the Twins last season, there could have been actual hope in those two. Correia performed well for a 4-5 starter. Pelfrey is not good (I wonder how many times I have typed this at TD?).
    Serious question (cause I can't remember and I can't look it up right now). After our rotation was really bad in 2011, who did we go out and get to fix it? I remember Marquis, but who else? Starting to wonder if this story shouldn't have mentioned third straight offseason instead of second straight offseason.
    Just remember: You put the lime IN the coconut. Only THEN, can you drink it all up.

Liked 345 Times in 196 Posts
    Honestly, I do think that TR is cheap -- and it really doesn't matter that he is spending Pohlad's money and not his own. It is probably (to him) the mere idea of spending it that gives him heartburn.

And, you know what, having a few "cheapskates" in your organization is a good thing. Its bad to have people who think that they can (and should) buy anything they want. I'm just not sure that having a real cheapskate at the top of the organization is the best. It depends on how much he can take his boss' words about spending this off-season to heart.

I guess we'll see.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by righty8383 View Post
    I think Terry Ryan is not only inherently cheap, he simply doesn't like to take risks, weather on the FA market or making big trades when the team is contending. Even though the Pohlads seem to be giving their blessing to spend some money, I have a hard time believing TR will make a big signing. The Twins have never been in a better position to go after a guy like Tanaka, yet I would be floored if our favorite team was announced as the highest bidders. I don't think Terry Ryan can stand the thought of feeling responsible if, God forbid, a big ticket signing doesn't work out.
    I have never met Terry Ryan and therefore feel uncomfortable talking about his personality and any traits he may posses. However, I do have an uncle that seems to approach decisions in a similar manner, so I'll write about him and let people draw their own conclusions.

My uncle spent his entire career in sales for a nationally recognized shoe brand. He was very good at his job and retired while in his early 40's. He lives in a private community here in the cities where house values are in the 7 figures. Essentially he has enough money that he will never have to worry about affording something.

He also has a unique way of looking at the world, it may have been what made him so successful at his job. When he is looking to buy a service or product his first step isn't to look around for the best deal, instead it is to decide what he believes that product or service is worth. How much would it cost for my uncle to do or make it himself? He doesn't care what the going rate is, only what he thinks the value should be. So, when his home owners association set out to contract their landscaping services he had a price in mind that he was looking for. When none of the bids came back as reasonable, in his mind, he told the other home owners that he would take on the landscaping duties himself and told them what his fee would be, which was significantly less than the professionals. So, every summer my cousin and I would find ourselves out landscaping with my uncle because the "pros" didn't meet his price point expectations. Now, that sounds like just being cheap, and I'm not sure that it isn't, but that is only one side of the equation.

On the other hand, he will spend when he thinks something meets his price point expectations. One of his first jobs was as a regional sales representative for said shoe brand. He was responsible for North Dakota, South Dakota and Minnesota sales. He needed a vehicle that was capable of getting him around safely, economically and reliably, over long distances. His decision was to buy a brand new Mercedes-Benz. In his low 20's he knew it would be a stretch to afford it, he had to significantly leverage himself those first few years, and had to make sacrifices to make it work. However, at the time Mercedes-Benz were much more reliable than American made vehicles, less time in the shop meant more time selling, it would last much longer (he still owns it today though it doesn't get driven very often), and it was a diesel so it got better gas mileage than all of his other alternatives. So, in the end this seemingly expensive car would meet all of his criteria and, 15 years down the road, be a better deal. It met his price point expectations.

Is my uncle cheap? Well, he shops at dollar stores, Wal-Mart, Menards and Costco almost exclusively. He does his own (and his neighbors) landscaping even though it wouldn't scratch his pocketbook to hire a company to do it for him. Hell, he even makes his own stakes for tacking down landscaping cloth because he doesn't feel the options commercially available are of a high enough quality and cost too much.

Is my uncle a big spender? Well, he has some very valuable pieces of art work and relics that he has collected from around the world on his travels. One time he paid a company to custom make a shotgun for a lady friend who wanted to try out hunting for the first time. She was left handed, short and slight of frame and nothing commercially available met my uncle's expectations.

At times my uncle seems like a miser, at other times he is a spendthrift, but in the end I don't think either description is particularly accurate. He is just a man that views the world through a unique lens and has very strong opinions about the value of things. It has been a blessing and a curse, he is set for life financially and can afford to do anything he wants, yet he doesn't have a wife or children because he drives away those who might love him with his strong ideas and opinions. So that is my uncle. You can take away from that what you wish and make your own determinations if that applies to Mr. Ryan or not.

P.S. Sorry this post was so long but I couldn't find a good way to shorten it without compromising the complexities of my uncle.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    For the record, I would still be happy with Edwin Jackson even in the unlikely scenario that his numbers in Wrigley wouldn't have changed inside TF. I still bet that he is better than Correia next year and certainly better than Pelfrey. And he would be around into the "new era" that is coming someday. I'll eat crow about Shaun Marcum, though.
    Don't eat crow about Marcum, lot's of us were interested and he would have been a worthy gamble as he had a reasonable degree of upside. Had the Twins signed him and he failed, I would still be applauding the effort, just as I would if they'd acquired Jackson, Dempster or Haren. But it wouldn't only be like-minded fans who would have appreciated the effort, it would also have been the players on the roster who saw that management was trying to throw them a life-line. It would have been current and future free agents would see that the Twins were serious suitors.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 340 Times in 193 Posts
    This discussion isn't about results as nick hints at. This is about what the rational thing to expect was. Ryan's comments are about what he expected before the season. Guys like Marcum, Jackson, and McCarthy didn't have good years - but they all offered vastly superior upside than what we signed.

We saw about the best we could expect from our signings....so what exactly did Ryan expect beforehand that he thought they'd make a dramatic difference?

Blog Entries
    Since you're still in good humor I take it that she got burned and not you?
    Knocked her flat... She didn't have a chance. Bowled her little body right over... Right to the ground. The coffee ended up staining the wall. She also cleans the building at night for a little extra on her paycheck... so I'm sure she will clean it right up.

I learned a few lessons...

1. Don't read what you printed off on your way back from the copier

2. No matter who was at fault in the collision. Your Co-workers will assume that it wasn't the fault of the 60 year old female lying on the ground.

3 Women at that age make a funny sound. It isn't the "Ooof" type sound that you would imagine.
    "9. Lipstick"

"I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    I have never met Terry Ryan and therefore feel uncomfortable talking about his personality and any traits he may posses. However, I do have an uncle that seems to approach decisions in a similar manner, so I'll write about him and let people draw their own conclusions.

My uncle spent his entire career in sales for a nationally recognized shoe brand. He was very good at his job and retired while in his early 40's. He lives in a private community here in the cities where house values are in the 7 figures. Essentially he has enough money that he will never have to worry about affording something.

He also has a unique way of looking at the world, it may have been what made him so successful at his job. When he is looking to buy a service or product his first step isn't to look around for the best deal, instead it is to decide what he believes that product or service is worth. How much would it cost for my uncle to do or make it himself? He doesn't care what the going rate is, only what he thinks the value should be. So, when his home owners association set out to contract their landscaping services he had a price in mind that he was looking for. When none of the bids came back as reasonable, in his mind, he told the other home owners that he would take on the landscaping duties himself and told them what his fee would be, which was significantly less than the professionals. So, every summer my cousin and I would find ourselves out landscaping with my uncle because the "pros" didn't meet his price point expectations. Now, that sounds like just being cheap, and I'm not sure that it isn't, but that is only one side of the equation.

On the other hand, he will spend when he thinks something meets his price point expectations. One of his first jobs was as a regional sales representative for said shoe brand. He was responsible for North Dakota, South Dakota and Minnesota sales. He needed a vehicle that was capable of getting him around safely, economically and reliably, over long distances. His decision was to buy a brand new Mercedes-Benz. In his low 20's he knew it would be a stretch to afford it, he had to significantly leverage himself those first few years, and had to make sacrifices to make it work. However, at the time Mercedes-Benz were much more reliable than American made vehicles, less time in the shop meant more time selling, it would last much longer (he still owns it today though it doesn't get driven very often), and it was a diesel so it got better gas mileage than all of his other alternatives. So, in the end this seemingly expensive car would meet all of his criteria and, 15 years down the road, be a better deal. It met his price point expectations.

Is my uncle cheap? Well, he shops at dollar stores, Wal-Mart, Menards and Costco almost exclusively. He does his own (and his neighbors) landscaping even though it wouldn't scratch his pocketbook to hire a company to do it for him. Hell, he even makes his own stakes for tacking down landscaping cloth because he doesn't feel the options commercially available are of a high enough quality and cost too much.

Is my uncle a big spender? Well, he has some very valuable pieces of art work and relics that he has collected from around the world on his travels. One time he paid a company to custom make a shotgun for a lady friend who wanted to try out hunting for the first time. She was left handed, short and slight of frame and nothing commercially available met my uncle's expectations.

At times my uncle seems like a miser, at other times he is a spendthrift, but in the end I don't think either description is particularly accurate. He is just a man that views the world through a unique lens and has very strong opinions about the value of things. It has been a blessing and a curse, he is set for life financially and can afford to do anything he wants, yet he doesn't have a wife or children because he drives away those who might love him with his strong ideas and opinions. So that is my uncle. You can take away from that what you wish and make your own determinations if that applies to Mr. Ryan or not.

P.S. Sorry this post was so long but I couldn't find a good way to shorten it without compromising the complexities of my uncle.
    Interesting read... Thanks for posting. There is nuance in everyone. Terry Ryan may not be a robot but he does speak awfully monotone.
    "9. Lipstick"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    This discussion isn't about results as nick hints at. This is about what the rational thing to expect was. Ryan's comments are about what he expected before the season. Guys like Marcum, Jackson, and McCarthy didn't have good years - but they all offered vastly superior upside than what we signed.

We saw about the best we could expect from our signings....so what exactly did Ryan expect beforehand that he thought they'd make a dramatic difference?
    You're right. Definitely. That said, in Marcum's case there were such worries that I thought were exaggerated about his health and I was willing to just ignore them. Now, he could very well be good again going forward.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Knocked her flat... She didn't have a chance. Bowled her little body right over... Right to the ground. The coffee ended up staining the wall. She also cleans the building at night for a little extra on her paycheck... so I'm sure she will clean it right up.

I learned a few lessons...

1. Don't read what you printed off on your way back from the copier

2. No matter who was at fault in the collision. Your Co-workers will assume that it wasn't the fault of the 60 year old female lying on the ground.

3 Women at that age make a funny sound. It isn't the "Ooof" type sound that you would imagine.
    (No reply to this is even possible)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 168 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    Nice post, Oxtung. To tie it back to the Twins:

TR wouldn't pay the landscaping companies either, but he also seems more willing to tolerate poor landscaping. What would your uncle do if it turned out he and his no-good nephew were poor landscapers?

Also, TR only gets a Mercedes through a police auction or something. In the event it indeed turns out to be a reliable car, he still junks it after the factory maintenance warranty expires.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Recall: The number of times mentioned that the Twins (Ryan) were complicated as the "way to run a team"; the quote from Moneyball about "...if we win, it will change baseball."; the numerous times the AJ trade has been referenced; GMs have individual goals too--and egos!

Recall just before the '08 season that the Twins deemed it a "rebuilding season". Hence, there was no consideration to allocating the Santana and Hunter salaries to new players. Goodness knows the Twins knew they had a big hole at 3B, major holes in the OF, a rotation comprised of rookies and 1-year guys. So, Livan Hernandez was the only FA added! Folks, I believe the real cheapskates are the owners. The new stadium was already approved and design underway--no need to spend on ballplayers to try to repeat earlier success. Ryan is their GM because he wants (craves) the accolades from other GMs on how savvy he runs things on a low budget. It's so sad that Houston and Miami have undercut the Twins so substantially on payroll, that anything less than a World Series will pale in comparision to Houston and Miami on the subject of "running a tight ship". Instead, the Twins are simply viewed as a bad team with an albatross of a contract for one player and millions committed to veterans who won't make a difference.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Serious question (cause I can't remember and I can't look it up right now). After our rotation was really bad in 2011, who did we go out and get to fix it? I remember Marquis, but who else? Starting to wonder if this story shouldn't have mentioned third straight offseason instead of second straight offseason.
    In 2012 they had Liriano, Baker and Pavano all still in the mix, with the slim hope that Blackburn could provide something, so the passive approach was certainly more understandable in that instance. Although it wasn't too tough to see the immense downside of that group.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    In 2012 they had Liriano, Baker and Pavano all still in the mix, with the slim hope that Blackburn could provide something, so the passive approach was certainly more understandable in that instance. Although it wasn't too tough to see the immense downside of that group.
    Indeed it wasn't too tough to see...In 2011, Baker pitched like 20 games, Liriano had an ERA over 5.00 and Pavano was 35 with an ERA in the low 4.00s.

And shouldn't teams always be looking to improve no matter what? For all the talk about how players won't come to perennial losing teams, this was only our first really bad season after a decade of very good records. Wouldn't that have made it a prime time to improve the 26th ranked rotation in ERA?
    Just remember: You put the lime IN the coconut. Only THEN, can you drink it all up.

Blog Entries
    The great paradox is that the best way for the Twins to land one good FA is to land two or three of them . . .

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 326 Times in 216 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Indeed it wasn't too tough to see...In 2011, Baker pitched like 20 games, Liriano had an ERA over 5.00 and Pavano was 35 with an ERA in the low 4.00s.

And shouldn't teams always be looking to improve no matter what? For all the talk about how players won't come to perennial losing teams, this was only our first really bad season after a decade of very good records. Wouldn't that have made it a prime time to improve the 26th ranked rotation in ERA?
    Shhhh, you're harshing on the Kumbaya meme....we just gotta give Ryan enough time to shut down the remainder of the old floats and scattered horse dung left in the organization from 2011..... and then he'll get the new parade cranked up again, eventually....and honestly, what Twins fan didn't love the 90s (after '91)? Good times waiting for the parade to start was had by one and all......of which I remember most fondly the Twins generous offer of a General Admission 81 game Season Ticket package for $81.....hey, by this gesture at least they tacitly admitted they were offering a AAA product.......good times, indeed.....
    Last edited by jokin; 10-17-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Liked 345 Times in 196 Posts
    Since the article title is "seeking rotation help for the 2nd straight season" not necessarily impale Terry Ryan, is there anyone on that free agent list that has the potential to provide what Pavano did in 2009-2010?

Innings eater, decent stuff, been through the abyss and back, somewhat charismatic with an ability to lead the staff?

I've been thinking about this with regard to young pitchers and the need for them to have some veteran leadership in the starting staff (and no, I don't really think this is Correia).

I've been looking through the Free Agent lists but that's a lot of sorting out to do. It wasn't that Pavano was a #1 but he was a lot better than anything we've seen recently and I have a gut feeling that he made the other pitchers around him better -- definitely solid in 2010 until the injuries of 2011.

I'd be interested in any thoughts anyone might have about someone comparable available through either free agency or trade.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast