Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Twins seek rotation help for second straight offseason

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 104 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Since the article title is "seeking rotation help for the 2nd straight season" not necessarily impale Terry Ryan, is there anyone on that free agent list that has the potential to provide what Pavano did in 2009-2010?

Innings eater, decent stuff, been through the abyss and back, somewhat charismatic with an ability to lead the staff?

I've been thinking about this with regard to young pitchers and the need for them to have some veteran leadership in the starting staff (and no, I don't really think this is Correia).

I've been looking through the Free Agent lists but that's a lot of sorting out to do. It wasn't that Pavano was a #1 but he was a lot better than anything we've seen recently and I have a gut feeling that he made the other pitchers around him better -- definitely solid in 2010 until the injuries of 2011.

I'd be interested in any thoughts anyone might have about someone comparable available through either free agency or trade.
    Why not raise the bar? How about someone who is not only better than all of the others, but would nicely fit in the rotation of about 20 other teams? Perhaps even somebody who the Twins can expect to have at least 4 more decent years left in his career? My point, choose somebody who can be projected to be part of the success rather than just a bridge to the success. Of course this pitcher costs more--a lot more! But I believe it is better to put the FA pitcher budget all to one guy who can help later as well as now. One good pitcher rather than 3 KCs or 3 Pelfreys.

Liked 1,288 Times in 743 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Why not raise the bar? How about someone who is not only better than all of the others, but would nicely fit in the rotation of about 20 other teams? Perhaps even somebody who the Twins can expect to have at least 4 more decent years left in his career? My point, choose somebody who can be projected to be part of the success rather than just a bridge to the success. Of course this pitcher costs more--a lot more! But I believe it is better to put the FA pitcher budget all to one guy who can help later as well as now. One good pitcher rather than 3 KCs or 3 Pelfreys.
    I have no problem with your approach ... I just don't think there's any way in H E double toothpicks that it happens.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    I have never met Terry Ryan and therefore feel uncomfortable talking about his personality and any traits he may posses. However, I do have an uncle that seems to approach decisions in a similar manner, so I'll write about him and let people draw their own conclusions.
    I haven't met Terry Ryan either. My opinion about him being cheep is simply an observation as a fan on the outside looking in. I appreciate the rest of your story. It was a good read.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    I have never met Terry Ryan and therefore feel uncomfortable talking about his personality and any traits he may posses. However, I do have an uncle that seems to approach decisions in a similar manner, so I'll write about him and let people draw their own conclusions.

Your uncle spent his own money. Ryan works for someone with a directive. Ryan may well have values and want to not spend more than what he values. Ryan works for a family that has values. They also got their money through getting maximal return on their investment. There are parameters spending. Some have said Smith wanted to spend more was the philosophical difference. See where it got him. Ryan may say all he has to do is ask, but he also knows the parameters on when to ask.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234