Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,606 Times in 833 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Minnesota Twins Roster & Payroll 2014

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Since I see myself coming back here on a regular basis, I am going to re-post my suggestions from the end of the 2013 comments:

Love the page -- but is there any chance the site's right sidebar could be disabled for it? Lots of good info on the right side of the charts, but it gets obscured unless you scroll each table over... and then you can't see the left side of the chart!

If the right sidebar has to stay, maybe some kind of "mini-scroll" feature like the Baseball-Reference mobile site would be more workable (i.e. the left column(s) stay fixed as you "scroll" right to see more columns).

Either way, it's an awesome data source, and I applaud your efforts!

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I do agree with spycake about that scrolling issue.

Other than that it is just great.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Revenues are in excess of $200 million.
    Allegedly each MLB team is getting another $25 million for television revenue this year.

Looking at 54% of that starts looking a lot like $120 million or more.

Now I'm not one who is going to go ballistic if they don't spend every nickel of that, or even every $10 million, but they could clearly overpay to get Kazmir. That would tell agents and FAs they are serious and help sign and another good arm. That other arm HAS to be another with excellent SO rates.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Updated to include Paul Molitor and the recently-signed minor leaguers.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    I've talked to Brock and, for now, the sidebar has to stay. The next time the site undergoes sweeping changes (which he thinks will be during next season), the sidebar will go.

If you can deal with the scrolling, I've got a present for you - on the far right side (and it's currently only with the MLB guys) I've added a new column - Agents.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Updated.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    All of this week's moves have been reflected. Next update will involve the correct (or correct as it can get) Winter League rosters.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Updated to include (assumed) Pelfrey figures.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For those who haven't used the Rosters and Payrolls yet, it is a tremendous resource for all things Twins. Contract information. Service time. Options. And much more. Check it out!

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Updated to included to addition of Suzuki. Both the Pelfrey and Suzuki signings are unofficial.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 865 Times in 556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Updated to included to addition of Suzuki. Both the Pelfrey and Suzuki signings are unofficial.
    I'm interested in seeing how you treat the pending Colabello move. Would he still have some affiliation/obligation to the Twins?... And where does the alleged $1M posting fee fit into the 2014 payroll (if at all)?
    Last edited by jokin; 12-21-2013 at 11:48 AM.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    If they get a million, I'll subtract it from the bottom... same as if they got money back in a trade.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looking at the chart I can't help but think 2015 will still be the year the twins make a splash. With Correia, Willingham and Suzuki coming off they will save another $15 Million.

In theory with Sano debuting this year, and hopefully Buxton seeing time in September (if not before), they'll have 2 spots in the rotation up for grabs unless one of the current guys up for #5 shines. They can get that stud, or bring up May or Meyer.

Still too many gaps in the lineup and in the rotation in 2014, I see an improvement but not enough to win anything yet. They could surprise me and make another big signing this offseason, I don't think another arm is in the cards, but a SS maybe? Maybe get them close to the post season to get the engines moving for 2015.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Good point, especially since there aren't going to be many big jumps in salary either.

Casey Fien will be a Super-2, but no other regulars should enter arbitration. (Dozier should fall short, I'm not considering Diamond or Worley "regulars".)

The likelihood, too, is that next year Buxton and Sano combined will make about half of what Plouffe does this year. Meyer too. That makes 2015-2017 a window where you have premium (hopefully) players at the minimum. By the time they need to be paid big money, Mauer's contract is off the books. (Though at the current rate, elite players will be making about $50m a year by then.)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    If they get a million, I'll subtract it from the bottom... same as if they got money back in a trade.
    Thanks for that clarification, Jeremy. Assuming Colabello plays in Korea in 2014, do you have any idea if his return to US baseball at some future point has to go through the Twins, with some sort of pre-emptive rights?

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    I posted in another thread that I believe he has to clear waivers before his rights are sold, but once a deal is worked out, teams have an unwritten agreement to not claim those guys.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    I posted in another thread that I believe he has to clear waivers before his rights are sold, but once a deal is worked out, teams have an unwritten agreement to not claim those guys.
    Thanks, Jeremy. I had only read the Berardino article. He usually does a good job, and did so in this case, as well. But you seem to excel at dealing with the unanswered questions left dangling from his article. I thought it interesting that Berardino noted that the Twins have established a strong ongoing relationship with Korean teams, the Wild West nature of foreign contract deals there, reference to Suk-min Yoon, and that the Twins had done a similar deal with Bobby Keppel going to a Japanese team in 2010 (completely forgot about that one).

http://blogs.twincities.com/twins/20...aded-to-korea/

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Updated to include Pelfrey's incentives (courtesty of Mike Berardino at the Pioneer Press).

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,308 Times in 1,755 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Updated to include Pelfrey's incentives (courtesty of Mike Berardino at the Pioneer Press).
    Either the numbers don't add up or I'm misunderstanding:

Mike Pelfrey can earn an additional $3.5 million in incentives in 2014. ($150K @170,180IP; $200K @190IP; $500K @200IP)

By contrast, the incentive numbers for Hughes just above do add up.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast