Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lurkers and rookies please post here

Liked 203 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Always feel free to join me in saying something "stupid", I do it quite often. I just cannot get into the advanced stats that people like to throw around. I can learn from them but I will never really absorb them. But there is room for a lot of different perspectives so I hope you'll post from time to time. (And, if you just want to post for fun, go into the game chats on occasion once the season starts again. )

The mods are really working to clamp down on some of the things that you complain about (a little too much for me sometimes because it stops the flow of the thread but it does seem to have paid off in a little more civility).

And I agree that the site has gotten slow although to add to that, it seems a little more sporadic to me and not necessarily when people are posting a lot so I don't get it.
    I agree on the site speed, and it's something we look at a lot.

As for the advanced stats, I do find that to be an interesting topic. I think about the TwinsCentric writers and reading their/our stories. I know I typically will only use BA/OBP/SLG (OPS), maybe occasionally WAR. I don't know that the other writers use them real frequently either.

This is making me think because often the term "blogger" is used in conjunction with "Stathead" or those types of terms, and I don't know if that's always true. There are times, but not too much. I'm kind of wondering as I'm typing this if we read more Advanced Stats in the Comments section than in the stories themselves. Interesting. I'll have to think about that going forward.

Liked 203 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Yup, I'm a born and bred Winnipegger, nice to see another 'Toban aboard. I spent a week in Swan River one afternoon (Harry Chapin credit).

You're right, there is a fair number of Twins fans in Manitoba, it's surprising how much Twins merch you see being worn here, I sometimes think we out number Jays fans in these parts, some of my friends aside.
    My Grandfather was a huge Killebrew fan and my love for the team was born from that, I've never taken to the Jays, I've only been to a couple of games in TO but have seen the Twins countless times in all 3 stadiums, they are a much more natural team to root for due to the proximity and realistic opportunity to attend games.

My second team was the Expos, I always had a soft spot for them and was a big Steve Rogers fan, it was sad when they left.
    With all these Manitoba fans, maybe we SHOULD have a Twins Daily get together up here by the Canadian border!!

Liked 360 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I'm kind of wondering as I'm typing this if we read more Advanced Stats in the Comments section than in the stories themselves. Interesting. I'll have to think about that going forward.
    Yes. I was not separating comments from articles and I probably should have done so.

Parker tends to use a few more stats than most of the other writers -- but he is also meticulous about his explanations (and I tend to "learn" the most from his articles in terms of understanding the game itself or understanding specifics about a batter's stance & swing or a pitcher's motion, etc.).

I have also enjoyed this thread thoroughly and hope we see more "newbies" (so to speak) posting their stories and thoughts.

Thanks to everyone who has posted here.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 786 Times in 428 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the feedback everyone and this was a great idea for a thread, Glunn.

As for the site speed, you may have noticed a slight increase in speed in the last hour. I've been combing through settings and logs, trying to eliminate useless or little-used functionality.

Tonight, the site *may* go down for a bit. I'm taking a massive chunk out of the database and moving some data to a file system and away from the database. After that, I'll be working in the database, trimming some of the fat.

Hopefully by tomorrow morning, our speed issues will no longer be a problem.

If speed continues to be a problem, I'll be doing more work to the site and removing more superfluous features in the coming weeks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    And I agree that the site has gotten slow although to add to that, it seems a little more sporadic to me and not necessarily when people are posting a lot so I don't get it.
    You can thank all the bot-makers in China and Russia for the inexplicable slowdown during what should be the "slow" time of year.

Bastards.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 614 Times in 329 Posts
    With all these Manitoba fans, maybe we SHOULD have a Twins Daily get together up here by the Canadian border!!
    Now you're talking!! I'm there, maybe we can drag Koskie along!!!

Great stuff!

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    To use an analogy that's been proposed--my participation on this site is like being at a bar. I sit alone, "lurking" (hate that term), nurse my beer, and listen to the same bunch of guys debate the same thing over and over. Meanwhile, there are four big screens showing fantastic baseball coverage, and a fifth one (Brad) with a comedy channel devoted to baseball skits. Also, the links to PeanutsFromHeaven.

Occasionally I might chime in to the table next to me, and usually I am ignored, and sometimes, a glare.

Albert Einstein said that prohibition was the end, or at least really bad, for democracy. His reasoning: If people with disparate views couldn't sit and have a productive (beer-fueled) discussion at a public house, we'd end up with people sipping bathtub gin and arguing over the internet. Or something like that.

All that being said, thanks for all you do TD. There are alot of us lurkers/minimal posters out here who check your site daily, and appreciate all of the effort you put in.

Blog Entries
    There. We'll see if the speed holds up during the busier times of day but right now, you should be seeing a huge improvement in site speed.

Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've been a reader of this site since its infancy. I stop by everyday (sometimes multiple times in a day) and read just about every forum post and article that goes up. I even write my own blog posts on the Twins - I just don't post them here, partially because I didn't want to be "pounced on" for having an opinion / post that differs from the consensus.

I love the debate that occurs within the comments. I agree with others that the negativity can be a bit off-putting and can keep me from wading into a topic. I do understand and appreciate the negativity, however, as I think it shows the passion of the fanbase. We all want the Twins to win - while we have different ideas of how we'll get there and who will be able to achieve these goals - at the end of the day, it's all the same goal. Those discussions are interesting to read and are important to "air out", in my opinion.

My two cents for this offseason: While I'd love to see Tanaka signed by the Twins, the Yankees reportedly being in the market for him makes me believe the Twins simply have zero chance of signing the potential ace. I hope I'm wrong on that account, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'd like the Twins to persue Phil Hughes. His home/road splits intrigue me and I think he could become a very reliable pitcher if he's simply removed from that matchbox sized Yankee Stadium. Target Field's spacious OF has to be good for someone - right?

I'd also take a chance on Josh Johnson. Yes, his injuries are a concern and there is a chance his contract could end up being money down the drain, but when he's healthy, there are few pitchers better than him - certainly no one in the Twins rotation now is as good as a healthy Josh Johnson.

Finally, I'd re-sign Mike Pelfrey. (I cannot believe I'm saying this, his slow pace and inconsistent performance drove me NUTS last season). He seems due to have a better season after recovering from TJ surgery - hopefully he could be a bit of an innings eater / veteran presence at the back end of the rotation for the Twins.

Thanks for this thread - it was a good idea! I'll try to "lurk less-post more" in the future - maybe I'll even post some of my blog stuff here...

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iTwins View Post
    I've been a reader of this site since its infancy. I stop by everyday (sometimes multiple times in a day) and read just about every forum post and article that goes up. I even write my own blog posts on the Twins - I just don't post them here, partially because I didn't want to be "pounced on" for having an opinion / post that differs from the consensus.
    May I ask where you do put up your own blog posts? I'm always looking for additional blogs to visit.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Wondering what some of the Free agents we will sign. I know there is a pitcher from Korea we are looking at. Do you guys think we will get him? Suk-Min Yoon.
    All you need to know about North Dakota:

Economy is among best in nation because of Oil Boom.
    You can play Blackjack for real money in bars here.
    NDSU Bison good at football.
    University of North Dakota good at Hockey.
    Roger Maris and Phil Jackson (NBA coach) are from here.

I thought Minnesota was uninhabited north of St. Cloud???

Thanks for the invitation. I have high hopes for Hicks. I saw him twice in spring training this past year and he looked to have good plate discipline from both sides of the plate. He was selective and drove the ball to all fields. He looked major league ready. I really don't know why it didn't translate to the regular season. He's not the only rookie who didn't light it on fire his first time around. His not playing winter ball didn't disappoint me because I thought he needed some time to clear his head. If you haven't played competitive ball you really can't appreciate how mentally draining it is once you have a few back to back o'fers. He struggled and couldn't battle back. I think taking some time off, getting his ---- together will do him and the Twins some good. Again, thanks for the invitation to post. I'll be back!

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beervendor View Post
    Thanks for the invitation. I have high hopes for Hicks. I saw him twice in spring training this past year and he looked to have good plate discipline from both sides of the plate. He was selective and drove the ball to all fields. He looked major league ready. I really don't know why it didn't translate to the regular season. He's not the only rookie who didn't light it on fire his first time around. His not playing winter ball didn't disappoint me because I thought he needed some time to clear his head. If you haven't played competitive ball you really can't appreciate how mentally draining it is once you have a few back to back o'fers. He struggled and couldn't battle back. I think taking some time off, getting his ---- together will do him and the Twins some good. Again, thanks for the invitation to post. I'll be back!
    Yes, exactly. And I still don't have an answer from anyone as to how many players have ever skipped AAA and then been the leadoff man on opening day. Or in recent memory. Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by CRF_EC View Post
    At the Met, a favorite pastime was turning over empty cups and stomping on them to pop them and make an echo, all the while waiting for Killebrew to come bat.
    Oh yeah! Although we usually did the stomping just after the game ended cause there were lots of them lying about. Other memories I have from the Met: Walking underneath the bleachers along the left field foul line looking for loose change. Going under the seats in left field, walking up to the field and watching the game at ground level just behind the fence. When leaving the game from the left field seats walking along those rickety boards suspended over the metal framework, or else walking down the exit ramps behind home plate. I remember riding my bike to games and sneaking in during batting practice (there was a place in the fence in the left field corner where you could gain access), going to games with mom on Mother's days (which was every Thursday afternoon) because box seats were $3.00. Eating popcorn out of those megaphone cone-shaped containers, wearing the chinese coolie style straw hats. Wow, your post has induced nostalgic overload!
    Last edited by powrwrap; 10-30-2013 at 04:02 PM.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
    I qualify as a lurker, I believe. I read TD on a pretty regular basis and have started a few threads. I choose not to post all that often because everything tends to spiral into a bit of a pi$$ing match instead of an exchange of ideas. If I wanted to argue, I'd just go visit my relatives more. Humor.

Thoughts about TD and the Twins, in general.
    1) I love the minor league stuff. I haven't seen more than maybe a 30 second highlight video of most of the players discussed, but I love the insights.
    2) I am pretty excited that Jack Goin actually signed up for this site. That's cool. Who knows where it goes, but it is neat.
    3) I really want this team to do well again. The FAs signed last year made it pretty clear they weren't going to compete in 2013. It would be nice to have some hope at the start of 2014, but I think it will be another year to just get us to 2015. Maybe there will be hope in 2015. (Note: "hope" in my terms means hope to be in the playoffs with a chance to win it all, not just a season sniffing .500. Though .500 is certainly more fun to watch.)
    4) I keep trying to put Trevor Plouffe in the Michael Cuddyer bucket - the guy that got moved around, positionally, a little bit and had moments, but didn't really put it together for awhile. I think the number of ABs that Plouffe has now is about the same number of ABs where Cuddyer picked it up a bit. Maybe Plouffe steps up in a similar way.
    5) Dozier had a nice season, but it wasn't amazing and I have a hard time understanding why (seemingly) everyone got so head over heels.
    6) I've started and deleted a few other thoughts here even though this thread is a safe house. I've already said too much. Time to go back underground with the rest of the lurkers.

scottz

Speaking of turtles,

I've poked my head out here a few times to check things out. I've been mostly ignored, which is fine. I used to post at the Twins website in the comments section, but that felt like bringing a violin to a meth fight. Nobody knew what was going on and most didn't have a good time. I check this site several times a week.

Since most have shared a story:
    The moment that I knew I would be a Twins fan the rest of my life was game 163 against the Tigers in 2009. Alexi freakin' Casilla gets a walk off hit to save his name after I had just cursed the living bejesus out of it after blowing that tag from 3rd. That was a great season ending rally to watch. Several weeks of critical baseball to culminate with an unlikely hero. Just awesome.

My favorite Twins moment was 2010 when Jim Thome crushed a ball to right for a walk-off dinger. I watched every pitch of that game and was so in the moment that it gave me chills all over my body. The scene in Moneyball where a similar moment happens gives me the chills (to a lesser degree) because of the similarity. There's no particular reason to love that moment, but I was so into the game it couldn't have ended better.

Most disappointed Twins moment...when the Twins didn't draft Sonny Gray. I was at Vanderbilt for grad school and watched him pitch many times. The guy had awesome all over him. Big situation...he got bigger. That curveball made college hitters cry. I know the Twins have had many disappointing moments, but that one was personal to me. The rest I can get over. Gray was my guy.

If you can't tell I'm a recent Twins fan. I grew up in SD not really watching baseball and only got into when my college girlfriend in St. Cloud got me into it. I hope to someday make it back to MN so I can once again sit at Target field and enjoy the summer sun and baseball. If not, I'll go to Fort Myers.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VandyTwinsFan View Post
    I grew up in SD not really watching baseball and only got into when my college girlfriend in St. Cloud got me into it.
    Splendid taste in women, my friend. I believe my wife and I raised our daughter to be a similar catch.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VandyTwinsFan View Post
    Speaking of turtles,

I've poked my head out here a few times to check things out. I've been mostly ignored, which is fine. I used to post at the Twins website in the comments section, but that felt like bringing a violin to a meth fight. Nobody knew what was going on and most didn't have a good time. I check this site several times a week.

Since most have shared a story:
    The moment that I knew I would be a Twins fan the rest of my life was game 163 against the Tigers in 2009. Alexi freakin' Casilla gets a walk off hit to save his name after I had just cursed the living bejesus out of it after blowing that tag from 3rd. That was a great season ending rally to watch. Several weeks of critical baseball to culminate with an unlikely hero. Just awesome.

My favorite Twins moment was 2010 when Jim Thome crushed a ball to right for a walk-off dinger. I watched every pitch of that game and was so in the moment that it gave me chills all over my body. The scene in Moneyball where a similar moment happens gives me the chills (to a lesser degree) because of the similarity. There's no particular reason to love that moment, but I was so into the game it couldn't have ended better.

Most disappointed Twins moment...when the Twins didn't draft Sonny Gray. I was at Vanderbilt for grad school and watched him pitch many times. The guy had awesome all over him. Big situation...he got bigger. That curveball made college hitters cry. I know the Twins have had many disappointing moments, but that one was personal to me. The rest I can get over. Gray was my guy.

If you can't tell I'm a recent Twins fan. I grew up in SD not really watching baseball and only got into when my college girlfriend in St. Cloud got me into it. I hope to someday make it back to MN so I can once again sit at Target field and enjoy the summer sun and baseball. If not, I'll go to Fort Myers.
    I don't think I have ever watched so many highlights from game as I have from that game 163. It was just crazy, especially the 6-3 double play with Cabrera and Nathan's reaction to it.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 146 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Splendid taste in women, my friend. I believe my wife and I raised our daughter to be a similar catch.
    I hope you have enough sense not to let her go to St Cloud whatever it is called now. Started many a hangover at the Press and Red Carpet bars.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast