Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Lurkers and rookies please post here

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 60 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I had a few friends at the game. They posted video of the best use of Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" ever. I think it was in the 10th inning. The crowd booed the part about Detroit. While singing along. Great stuff.
    Yes we did boo. I've never heard the dome boo so much, and I've been to Vikings games.

TFelton got married, moved, and 3 kids now. Been a busy few years but 'lurking since the beginning of Twins Daily' and will continue lurking til these kids get older.
    Some remember the big posting days of TFelton in the Trish chat room and the paper blogs, while TFelton hasn't given up the dream of returning the 3rd person typer to the mainstream Twins Daily.

Liked 208 Times in 110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TFelton View Post
    TFelton got married, moved, and 3 kids now. Been a busy few years but 'lurking since the beginning of Twins Daily' and will continue lurking til these kids get older.
    Some remember the big posting days of TFelton in the Trish chat room and the paper blogs, while TFelton hasn't given up the dream of returning the 3rd person typer to the mainstream Twins Daily.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but we met at a Twins game at Target Field probably 3 years ago, right?

LOVE that lineup!! That's why its exciting to be a Twins fan coming up in the next few years. There are even more players that could contribute, but those top guys will make this resurgence probably better than the one in the late 90's!!

Hey guys, Aussie Twins fan here. Been a Twins fan since about 2003 and a lurker for the last couple of months after I started being directed here from ESPN articles. Really like the detail and passion you guys have for the twinkies and it gives us guys overseas a great idea of what's to come for us since we obviously struggle to get minor league details over here. While it does look to be a somewhat depressing year coming up it is at least good to see that a bright future on the horizon with all the youngsters coming through. Having looked at a lot of the off-season talk I must say I'd be happiest to take a flier on Josh Johnson of all the starting pitchers, if he's healthy he's most likely to have a few more strong years at him and he's someone that can lead a young pitching staff coming through as he was a proven performer on a horrible Miami team for all those years, although that is a big if. Secondly in regards to a topic I'm pretty interested in which is our infield. There's a lot of talk from you guys that Rosario is the future at 2B soon but he could do with improving his D a bit more, but we really don't have a long term solution at SS. I think our best option is to trade for one since there's slim pickings in Free agency, preferably a guy with a great glove who has a reasonable bat ie. what we thought we were gonna get with JJ Hardy when we made that move. With all the trade rumours going around I would want to ring the Rangers and ask them about Ian Kinsler because he sounds like he might be the odd man out there and it would save the Rangers from moving on Profar or my other alternative would be Asdrubal Cabrera but I don't think there's any way that the Indians move him within the Division

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but we met at a Twins game at Target Field probably 3 years ago, right?
    You are correct.

I have been reading the posts on here for the last couple of months as a lifelong twins fan and just have a couple thoughts that I don't think have been brought up yet from what I have read, and have a couple of thoughts.

First, I fully believe that starting pitching is the biggest need of the club but I will address that last.

I do not believe that Shortstop is a problem for the twins, you can win a world series with the current middle infield. If a person looks at baseball reference they will see that pedro florimon has a 2.1 WAR and Dozier had a 3.8 this last year. That is more than good enough, if florimon shows some improvement with the bat (doesn't have to be a lot he was already 10/10 which very few shortstops are) he is above average.

One of the twins biggest problems is outfield defense. Personally, I think Hicks should start the season again as the centerfielder but I understand that a lot of people don't think that (he did have a .7 war just because of the defense) but the corner outfield defense is a huge problem and any starter that they sign will have problems because of that. Alex Presley is neither a current or long term solution. If the twins want to start hicks in the minors the guy I would like them to look at is Chris Young. He plays above average defense in center and hits for power, caveat, he also strikes out a lot and doesn't hit for average but I believe he is worth a 1 year 5 million contract because he can shift to any outfield position.

The Twins obviously need to trade Willingham, the sooner the better, his terrible defense (along with the catcher platoon in right, don't get me started on that) will not want to make pitchers want to go to Minnesota to "improve their value." but Chris Young plays a really good outfield and can hold down a corner spot with hicks in center until Buxton is ready then hicks can move to right where his arm makes the best choice in the org. once Buxton is ready

I believe Pinto can be an impact bat at catcher even if his catching defensive skills are not quite good enough, but an impact bat at catcher for value makes him above average. Let him, Hermann, and Doumit have it, it will be fine.

As far as the rest of the lineup goes, I honestly don't want the twins to trade any on the top prospects. If dozier proves (he really has no track record as a prospect, but I believe) he can hit like that the her is a lineup I would love to see.

RF Aaron Hick
    1B Joe Mauer
    CF Byron Buxton
    3B Miguel Sano
    DH Oswaldo Arcia
    LF Eddie Rosario
    2B Brian Dozier
    C Josmil Pinto
    SS Pedro Floriman

To me that is a very exciting line up.

The bullpen is fine, they are a dime a dozen the twins have had great luck with that so to the rotation.

I truly believe Alex Meyer will be a front of the rotation starter, I also believe Kyle Gibson is going to be a lot better than most people believe he will be on here (he fell to the twins in the draft because of injury in the 1ST ROUND not because of talent, also most experts thought Max Scherzer would be a reliever because of his delivery, so give it time). I think that a majority of the funds should be spent here.

The one pitcher that I think would be the best is Garza. He has a proven record as both a strikeout pitcher and an ERA below 4 while being healthy enough to throw innings. I would also be happy with Ervin Santana because of his durability. I don't want to get into dollar amounts but I would rather give Garza 5/80 than anything to any other pitcher because if you look at numbers he is that much better than the rest I think.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see other pitchers signed. I like Kazmir on a one year deal, I like arroyo but for less than 10 million a year. I don't thin hughes would be good for more than a year (he has no track record other than his prospect status). I would LOVE Johan, but that might be my fandom.

That is all I have for now. Sorry for the long post but hope people comment and give me their opinions!

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 52 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mtillma View Post
    I have been reading the posts on here for the last couple of months as a lifelong twins fan and just have a couple thoughts that I don't think have been brought up yet from what I have read, and have a couple of thoughts.

First, I fully believe that starting pitching is the biggest need of the club but I will address that last.

I do not believe that Shortstop is a problem for the twins, you can win a world series with the current middle infield. If a person looks at baseball reference they will see that pedro florimon has a 2.1 WAR and Dozier had a 3.8 this last year. That is more than good enough, if florimon shows some improvement with the bat (doesn't have to be a lot he was already 10/10 which very few shortstops are) he is above average.

One of the twins biggest problems is outfield defense. Personally, I think Hicks should start the season again as the centerfielder but I understand that a lot of people don't think that (he did have a .7 war just because of the defense) but the corner outfield defense is a huge problem and any starter that they sign will have problems because of that. Alex Presley is neither a current or long term solution. If the twins want to start hicks in the minors the guy I would like them to look at is Chris Young. He plays above average defense in center and hits for power, caveat, he also strikes out a lot and doesn't hit for average but I believe he is worth a 1 year 5 million contract because he can shift to any outfield position.

The Twins obviously need to trade Willingham, the sooner the better, his terrible defense (along with the catcher platoon in right, don't get me started on that) will not want to make pitchers want to go to Minnesota to "improve their value." but Chris Young plays a really good outfield and can hold down a corner spot with hicks in center until Buxton is ready then hicks can move to right where his arm makes the best choice in the org. once Buxton is ready

I believe Pinto can be an impact bat at catcher even if his catching defensive skills are not quite good enough, but an impact bat at catcher for value makes him above average. Let him, Hermann, and Doumit have it, it will be fine.

As far as the rest of the lineup goes, I honestly don't want the twins to trade any on the top prospects. If dozier proves (he really has no track record as a prospect, but I believe) he can hit like that the her is a lineup I would love to see.

RF Aaron Hick
    1B Joe Mauer
    CF Byron Buxton
    3B Miguel Sano
    DH Oswaldo Arcia
    LF Eddie Rosario
    2B Brian Dozier
    C Josmil Pinto
    SS Pedro Floriman

To me that is a very exciting line up.

The bullpen is fine, they are a dime a dozen the twins have had great luck with that so to the rotation.

I truly believe Alex Meyer will be a front of the rotation starter, I also believe Kyle Gibson is going to be a lot better than most people believe he will be on here (he fell to the twins in the draft because of injury in the 1ST ROUND not because of talent, also most experts thought Max Scherzer would be a reliever because of his delivery, so give it time). I think that a majority of the funds should be spent here.

The one pitcher that I think would be the best is Garza. He has a proven record as both a strikeout pitcher and an ERA below 4 while being healthy enough to throw innings. I would also be happy with Ervin Santana because of his durability. I don't want to get into dollar amounts but I would rather give Garza 5/80 than anything to any other pitcher because if you look at numbers he is that much better than the rest I think.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see other pitchers signed. I like Kazmir on a one year deal, I like arroyo but for less than 10 million a year. I don't thin hughes would be good for more than a year (he has no track record other than his prospect status). I would LOVE Johan, but that might be my fandom.

That is all I have for now. Sorry for the long post but hope people comment and give me their opinions!
    Fantastic first post. I basically agree with 95% of this.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,300 Times in 775 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mtillma View Post
    A lot of lurkers/firsttimers hold off because they don't want feedback, but I'll take you at your word.

Instead of getting rid of Willingham, would you consider him for DH for 2014? I'm not sure all the ourfield pieces you listed in your lineup will be ready and fully productive before the Hammer's contract runs out. I doubt he has much trade value at this time, but if you do want to trade him then maybe a good first half would allow for a useful trade at the deadline. That could coincide with Buxton getting called up.

So it took me longer then I thought to log in, and then find this post again but here goes my first post: Is there a running list somewhere anywhere of all current Twins Prospects. Also a list of players the Twins drafted but didn't sign that became Major Leaguers. I'll show my age a little, I believe the Twins once drafted Jason Varitek? Also Kolten Wong more recently I believe drafted but didn't sign. Thanks for giving us a safe place to post!

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This link will take you to the Twins MiLB page. The top 20 prospects are listed there as well as links to the MiLB Twins Affiliates. Under the names of the teams you can pull up rosters and stats...lots of info there but to start I would check out the 20 listed.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/news/prospect...x.jsp?c_id=min

there are more extensive lists (beyond the 20) but do not have the links handy right now

Wow. First post ever. I've been waiting for this moment for so long, this must be what it's like for a stalker to finally confront the object of his/her affections.

Anyway, here is what I have to say:

It seems apparent to me that the Twins are on the verge of a renaissance similar to the one we had the privilege to enjoy from 2002-2010. Sure, they didn't do much in terms of playoff victory over that span, but as I believe we have all learned from the last three years, making the playoffs and getting swept is a hell of a lot better than losing 90+ games in a season.

We all know how epic some of the prospects coming up will be; Buxton has a Willy Mays-esque ceiling; Sano will pound out 40 homers a year, Meyer will be the right handed version of Randy Johnson and Mauer will be the wily vet whose experience and still elite level of play will be the lighthouse that guides the team to a world championship before he rides off into the sunset as an all-time great Twin. Maybe I'm getting carried away, but you get the point. It would be so amazing if, for the first time in my entire life, the Twins went aggressive, and made moves with the interest of winning this year. Would starting the season off as the starting center fielder really be too much for Buxton? We all have heard about how fantastic his makeup and desire-no, need-to be great is. He is also an extremely gifted physical specimen. How badly does he need one more year of seasoning in the minors? We know he is the future, and the faster he is up in the bigs, the faster this bright future can begin. The same goes for Sano. Even if he only bats .220 and strikes out 200 times, it's still a safe bet he would homer 20-25 times, and any experience he can get can only help him in the long run. With ultra-talented prospects like those two, it's obvious that they have the ability to compete at the major league level, so what is the point of letting them dominate the minors, when they could be getting valuable major league experience in a year that most people don't expect the Twins to be competitive anyway? For all we know, they could come up and play at a high level, and be the boost this team has needed for three years.

But having Buxton and Sano up this year does nothing for the "starting rotation" the Twins have been trotting out for the last 291 losses. So, taking into consideration the fact that they have about $40-$60 million dollars to spend, it's time to go out and get at least two, if not three, above-replacement-level starting pitches. My three would be Garza, Hughes and Johan. Johan may or may not be above replacement level, but he would come very cheaply and mostly would just satisfy my pipe dream of him coming back to us that I've had since he was traded. Garza would be a great get for the Twins. He is everything that the current rotation is not: a sometimes dominant pitcher with a decent k/9 and a bit of an attitude (allegedly) who can lead the rotation until Meyer is ready. Also, I like Hughes a lot as a guy who can be a solid 3/4 guy down the road.

I also wouldn't mind signing AJ to a one or two year deal either, to split time with Pinto.

So, here would be my batting order and rotation for next year:

CF- Buxton
    2B- Dozier
    1B- Mauer
    3B- Sano
    LF- Willingham
    C- AJ/ Pinto
    RF- Arcia
    DH- Doumit
    SS- Florimon

Bench: AJ/Pinto, Presley, Escobar, Plouffe

Rotation:

Garza
    Hughes
    Meyer
    Santana
    Gibson

Now, in all honesty, I don't really expect any of this to happen, buuuuuut I would be absolutely ecstatic if TR realized that he's getting old and YOLO. If things play out well, these moves could lead to a playoff push next year, and if the youngsters struggle, then that was to be expected, and they get a valuable year of major league experience. I know that I'm not taking into consideration their arbitration clocks, but if these players pan out like we hope and think they will, what difference does one year make when you will be having to sign these guys to multi year, 100+ million dollar deals?

Thanks for sticking with this post, thoughts and criticisms are highly appreciated

13. These 2 users like SadMnFan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (11-25-2013), snepp (11-26-2013)

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great start to your posting career sadmnfan and welcome aboard.
    i would be beyond happy if your blueprint was followed.

Liked 303 Times in 168 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AJOHN View Post
    Thanks for giving us a safe place to post!
    I am glad that you felt comfortable posting in this thread. Please keep in mind that we now have 6 moderators who are committed to not allowing personal attacks in any threads. If you choose to post in other threads, you will find that others may disagree, but will be generally respectful.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SadMnFan View Post
    Wow. First post ever. I've been waiting for this moment for so long, this must be what it's like for a stalker to finally confront the object of his/her affections.

Anyway, here is what I have to say:

It seems apparent to me that the Twins are on the verge of a renaissance similar to the one we had the privilege to enjoy from 2002-2010. Sure, they didn't do much in terms of playoff victory over that span, but as I believe we have all learned from the last three years, making the playoffs and getting swept is a hell of a lot better than losing 90+ games in a season.

We all know how epic some of the prospects coming up will be; Buxton has a Willy Mays-esque ceiling; Sano will pound out 40 homers a year, Meyer will be the right handed version of Randy Johnson and Mauer will be the wily vet whose experience and still elite level of play will be the lighthouse that guides the team to a world championship before he rides off into the sunset as an all-time great Twin. Maybe I'm getting carried away, but you get the point. It would be so amazing if, for the first time in my entire life, the Twins went aggressive, and made moves with the interest of winning this year. Would starting the season off as the starting center fielder really be too much for Buxton? We all have heard about how fantastic his makeup and desire-no, need-to be great is. He is also an extremely gifted physical specimen. How badly does he need one more year of seasoning in the minors? We know he is the future, and the faster he is up in the bigs, the faster this bright future can begin. The same goes for Sano. Even if he only bats .220 and strikes out 200 times, it's still a safe bet he would homer 20-25 times, and any experience he can get can only help him in the long run. With ultra-talented prospects like those two, it's obvious that they have the ability to compete at the major league level, so what is the point of letting them dominate the minors, when they could be getting valuable major league experience in a year that most people don't expect the Twins to be competitive anyway? For all we know, they could come up and play at a high level, and be the boost this team has needed for three years.

But having Buxton and Sano up this year does nothing for the "starting rotation" the Twins have been trotting out for the last 291 losses. So, taking into consideration the fact that they have about $40-$60 million dollars to spend, it's time to go out and get at least two, if not three, above-replacement-level starting pitches. My three would be Garza, Hughes and Johan. Johan may or may not be above replacement level, but he would come very cheaply and mostly would just satisfy my pipe dream of him coming back to us that I've had since he was traded. Garza would be a great get for the Twins. He is everything that the current rotation is not: a sometimes dominant pitcher with a decent k/9 and a bit of an attitude (allegedly) who can lead the rotation until Meyer is ready. Also, I like Hughes a lot as a guy who can be a solid 3/4 guy down the road.

I also wouldn't mind signing AJ to a one or two year deal either, to split time with Pinto.

So, here would be my batting order and rotation for next year:

CF- Buxton
    2B- Dozier
    1B- Mauer
    3B- Sano
    LF- Willingham
    C- AJ/ Pinto
    RF- Arcia
    DH- Doumit
    SS- Florimon

Bench: AJ/Pinto, Presley, Escobar, Plouffe

Rotation:

Garza
    Hughes
    Meyer
    Santana
    Gibson

Now, in all honesty, I don't really expect any of this to happen, buuuuuut I would be absolutely ecstatic if TR realized that he's getting old and YOLO. If things play out well, these moves could lead to a playoff push next year, and if the youngsters struggle, then that was to be expected, and they get a valuable year of major league experience. I know that I'm not taking into consideration their arbitration clocks, but if these players pan out like we hope and think they will, what difference does one year make when you will be having to sign these guys to multi year, 100+ million dollar deals?

Thanks for sticking with this post, thoughts and criticisms are highly appreciated
    This is an excellent first post, and I admire your optimism. I hope to see you (and all of our other first time posters) become active in other threads.

Blog Entries
    Bump -- I am hoping for more posts from rookies and lurkers.

Just another Twins fan from South Dakota. I have been lurking for at least two years. I have learned so much about how a baseball team is put together from this site. So I wanted to thank all the writers and insightful posters. Hopefully I will have some intelligent insight soon. THANKS AGAIN.

19. These 4 users like ByRunBucksTon's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (12-11-2013), glunn (12-11-2013), JB_Iowa (12-11-2013), Oldgoat_MN (12-11-2013)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've posted here 20 times or so now. Been to 38 MLB parks including the Met and Target Field. Followed the Twins since the Rod Carew days in the mid-70's making them my favourite AL team.

My overall favourite team is the Cardinals. Never had to bear 2 or more consecutive 90 game losing seasons. Like your bulletin board.

21. These 3 users like thetank's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (12-11-2013), glunn (12-11-2013), JB_Iowa (12-11-2013)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ByRunBucksTon View Post
    Just another Twins fan from South Dakota. I have been lurking for at least two years. I have learned so much about how a baseball team is put together from this site. So I wanted to thank all the writers and insightful posters. Hopefully I will have some intelligent insight soon. THANKS AGAIN.
    It's good to know that you are out there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thetank View Post
    I've posted here 20 times or so now. Been to 38 MLB parks including the Met and Target Field. Followed the Twins since the Rod Carew days in the mid-70's making them my favourite AL team.

My overall favourite team is the Cardinals. Never had to bear 2 or more consecutive 90 game losing seasons. Like your bulletin board.
    Do the Cardinals have anything resembling TD?

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast