Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jose Abreu signs with Sox

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 380 Times in 212 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FSP View Post
    An $11 million per year proven commodity will have only proven to be very average.
    Amen to this. Don't want to ink huge contracts? You're going to have to take bigger risks. 6/86 for the best hitter in Cuba ATM seems like a good compromise and one every "mid-market" team should be all over.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 815 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    I love this signing for the Twins. This means Adam Dunn OR this guy is playing 1B/LF. That's 'greener' pastures for the Twins. Very slow and liabilities in the field. Adam Dunn's D-WAR is -2.4. Can't wait to see him or Abreu in the field for the White Sox.

According to Buster Olney, "most" (whatever that means) industry experts feel he's a very risky acquisition and weary on his guy's ability to transition to MLB.

It's not even assumed he'll start with the big club next year.

If he cost 'only' $11M/per, why didn't the Yankees put 2 pennies together and get him?

Lyle Overbay, Mark Reynolds, Kevin Youkilis, Travis Hafner, & Curtis Granderson were responsible for most of the DH at-bats and they represent $37.5M coming off the books.

Why wouldn't they sign him...if he was only $11M/yr to sign?

How about Boston? Mike Napoli is a FA after the season. He cost $13M.

They must not think Abreu could hit .259 AVG 23 HR 92 RBI in 579 at-bats (Napoli's numbers)...and for a cheaper price to boot.
    Uhhh, I doubt that's what they're thinking at all, the Yankees are frying much bigger fish than this one (Cano, Tanaka, to name two). And they're trying to significantly reduce their payroll, besides.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Ugh, if the Twins spent 68 million on a bat before they spent that money on front-end starter, everyone would be up-in-arms, as they should be.
    Speak for yourself, most certainly not everyone would be up in arms. There is a huge power hole in the lineup right now, and this was a very affordable option for a guy who plays in Cuban baseball like a hybrid of Prince Fielder/Miguel Cabrera- even if his numbers only translate to Cespedes-level production in the AL. And there's more than enough payroll room for pitching acquisitions, Abreu would move the projected payroll bar up to only around $65M.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LimestoneBaggy View Post
    My main point is that he appears to be a defensive liability (or a primary DH). Taking a risk is always good (and I would have been beyond happy if they would have taken a shot), I can just see the logic in passing at that price point with a low defensive upside. Seems to be half the player of Puig/Cespedes for more money. I hope that he stinks for the Sox, or you will be dead on.
    While I'd happily take on half of a Puig, is he really half of a Cespedes (offensively)? He had better contemporary Cuban League production numbers than Cespedes. And as Fielder has proven, being a defensive liability at first is really not very significant if he can produce halfway decently at the plate.

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Ugh, if the Twins spent 68 million on a bat before they spent that money on front-end starter, everyone would be up-in-arms, as they should be.
    Once again, 11 million a year is not a burden on the payroll. Period.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    They are allowed to fix one problem at a time. Not one signing will solve all their problems. Signing no one, otoh, will solve zero problems. Let us hope he is only a AAAA player, and not good.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by raindog View Post
    Frustrating that he's going within the division, and the Twins weren't interested. I sure hope they make me look like an idiot, but they should have gone after the guy. 6 years, 68 million is not unreasonable, and wouldn't have crippled the payroll if he failed.
    Exactly, it's less than Morneau was getting paid and it's not like your paying him $23M/yr

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 614 Times in 342 Posts
    I guess I'm not concerned about the ordering of significant signings. I'm more concerned that we won't have any at all.

Administrator Double-A Twins Daily Admin's Avatar
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So this must mean they're not bringing back Konerko.

I wonder if the Twins will talk to him.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    I wouldn't have been against signing Abreu but my eyes (in person) saw a youngster that moved like a 32 yr old with a really long swing. He has put up some ridiculous numbers in international competition but that international competition wasn't always MLB caliber and sometimes that is the step where long swings get exposed.

I'm also hoping that the Twins are hanging onto their cash to make a good pitcher signings and possibly even add a Nick Swisher type. Obviously Choo will be very expensive but I would love Mauer/Choo back to back with guys like Buxton/Sano/Arcia/rosario surrounding them in a couple of years.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 106 Posts
    I guess it's not if you have so little invested in your rotation. Priorities matter.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    It is if it is a below average player. See any complaint about Blackburn's contract.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 106 Posts
    No, this deal would not have been prohibitive in signing another or two more similar contracts (though 68mil isn't chump change, even if over six years), but the reality is that the Twins are likely to only commit that kind of money to one non-organizational player this offseason. And I'd rather that player be a pitcher.

If Abreu turns out to be Viciedo (to whom he's been compared), having that contract on the books for the next years will get less and less palatable.

I don't believe we will ever see a contract of 6 years given to a pitcher by Ryan. I hope he proves me wrong, but deals like this strike me as the only kinds of larger commitments we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    It is if it is a below average player. See any complaint about Blackburn's contract.
    This assumes the payroll would be used otherwise. It also assumes Abreu is a below average player. How good he will be remains to be seen, but if fear of disappointing results is going to drive your contract signings - you might as well not even bother. Great players and talented players disappoint every year for any number of reasons.

Plus, Ryan is paid to make sure he utilizes his resources effectively. So far, he isn't earning his own paycheck either.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    So this must mean they're not bringing back Konerko.

I wonder if the Twins will talk to him.
    Exactly what I commented on in the Twins thread. Just exactly the way the Twins think, hope lightining strikes twice- aging thumper finds temporary new life- ala Jim Thome. Konerko's a great guy like Thome, but is that really the direction a rebuilding team should be headed?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Exactly what I commented on in the Twins thread. Just exactly the way the Twins think, hope lightining strikes twice- aging thumper finds temporary new life- ala Jim Thome. Konerko's a great guy like Thome, but is that really the direction a rebuilding team should be headed?
    Konerko would be a fine signing if the team didn't already have Willingham and Doumit filling the role of aging players that shouldn't play in the field. 2 of those types is probably too many and 3 is just silly for a rebuilding team.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Konerko would be a fine signing if the team didn't already have Willingham and Doumit filling the role of aging players that shouldn't play in the field. 2 of those types is probably too many and 3 is just silly for a rebuilding team.
    Exactly. Konerko's a class act and potentially a good team mentor, but there are plenty of younger and more able-bodied and productive veterans available in Free Agency that might also provide a leadership role, as well.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    This assumes the payroll would be used otherwise. It also assumes Abreu is a below average player. How good he will be remains to be seen, but if fear of disappointing results is going to drive your contract signings - you might as well not even bother. Great players and talented players disappoint every year for any number of reasons.

Plus, Ryan is paid to make sure he utilizes his resources effectively. So far, he isn't earning his own paycheck either.
    Chastising for not spending the money assumes he will be an above average first baseman. They are paid to evaluate talent. It is not fear of disappointment, it is called talent evaluation. Would you pay 68 million for Jamie D'Antona? You see big numbers for a player and think they will translate to major league success. Power from a long swing disappears with a plus fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Chastising for not spending the money assumes he will be an above average first baseman. They are paid to evaluate talent. It is not fear of disappointment, it is called talent evaluation. Would you pay 68 million for Jamie D'Antona? You see big numbers for a player and think they will translate to major league success. Power from a long swing disappears with a plus fastball.
    If they avoided this because he's going to be a sub-par player - great! Hopefully they're right. But at this point, we have every reason to believe the reason was because his price went too high.

What we do know for sure, that is the most disappointing part for many I think, is that he was one of only a few options this young available in FA.
    Last edited by TheLeviathan; 10-20-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast