Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: TwinsDaily Video: How Much Pitching Can The Twins Afford?

Liked 113 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: TwinsDaily Video: How Much Pitching Can The Twins Afford?

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That was really cool.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    BB players are like other collectibles/investments--buy quality.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd like to think they can atleast sign a guy like Colby Lewis & trade for a flier on Brett Anderson.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What I got out of this summary is that of all the free agent pitchers signed last year Correia was among the top six. This despite the fact that at least a dozen of these guys got more money per year than he did. This tends to highlight the problem with free agents. Most really aren't very good, whether it is injuries, age or other reasons. But because everyone needs pitchers GM's are willing to gamble money and years even though good results aren't all that likely.

The best results for the money, were Colon and Liriano and even Liriano had a 2 year offer for $7 mil a year till he hurt himself over the winter. It almost looks like you have just as good a chance of getting a good pitcher(if you do your research and get lucky) of digging around in the bargain bin as spending $10 mil a year on multiple year contracts for "2nd tier" free agents.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
    What I got out of this summary is that of all the free agent pitchers signed last year Correia was among the top six. This despite the fact that at least a dozen of these guys got more money per year than he did. This tends to highlight the problem with free agents. Most really aren't very good, whether it is injuries, age or other reasons. But because everyone needs pitchers GM's are willing to gamble money and years even though good results aren't all that likely.

The best results for the money, were Colon and Liriano and even Liriano had a 2 year offer for $7 mil a year till he hurt himself over the winter. It almost looks like you have just as good a chance of getting a good pitcher(if you do your research and get lucky) of digging around in the bargain bin as spending $10 mil a year on multiple year contracts for "2nd tier" free agents.
    I agree.. Free agency isn't about signing talent. It's about getting lucky and hoping the players don't age quickly.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's true to an extent, but the more expensive guys are more expensive for a reason. They are more highly sought. Players get paid based on production, and right now the Twins could stand to add some guys that have proven they can produce.

Administrator Double-A Twins Daily Admin's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries

i'm pretty sure this is overstated a bit. Anyone care to do an analysis of the average ERA & IP for greinke vs 8-figure guys vs the rest?

Super Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Liked 787 Times in 492 Posts
    lol ,,, Little Sisters of the Poor?

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Clever video. I like it.

Understanding that it's an overgeneralization, it just seems to me that the FA pitching market has become populated by two groups: 1) the superstars getting perhaps their one career opportunity to really cash in by hitting the market, and 2) pitchers with enough flaws that their current team did not see them as worthy of being retained by offering a fair multi-year deal.

The group in between, reliable, productive starting pitchers, simply is not reaching the market because teams are locking those guys up with extensions as soon as they demonstrate their quality.

Maybe the Offseason GM Handbook will demonstrate that I'm wrong.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Good stuff, but for once I'd prefer this team go after quality not quantity.

I'm curious though, by all accounts the Twins were below budget this past year, so where is the $30 million budget coming from? To get back to the expected Target Field payroll, they should have over $40 million to spend should they so choose. Not that they are likely to.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 117 Times in 52 Posts
    Regardless of how much the Twins have to spend, there's a finite number of pitchers on the market. I suspect that the Twins will try to sign a 2nd tier pitcher and add a couple more lottery tickets.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    So considering that FA is a crapshoot, outside of the elite guys, should the Twins go after 3-5 guys in the bargain bin and see who turns out to be our Liriano or Feldman? Or should we go all in on a Tanaka, Garza or Santana?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 111 Times in 67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    So considering that FA is a crapshoot, outside of the elite guys, should the Twins go after 3-5 guys in the bargain bin and see who turns out to be our Liriano or Feldman? Or should we go all in on a Tanaka, Garza or Santana?
    I can get on board with about anyone other than Garza.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    The Twins have plenty of budget and plenty of rotation spots to fill, they can go do both.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That was cool. Nice presentation.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Tanaka and Kazmir.
    Maybe Josh Johnson if the price isn't too steep, perhaps heavy on incentives for innings pitched.

That would eat up that $40 million pretty quick, but we'd have a chance to win some games next year if an offense shows up.
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Would prefer Johnson and Lincecum(I know he will have a qualifying offer), but the Twins need quality(Tanaka would be fine also and one lottery pick)

Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Very cool presentation, thanks John.

Going after the bargain bin doesn't significantly improve the rotation over what the Twins had last season. I'm with Old Goat, 40 mil has the potential to buy a competetive ball club, but status quo buys the more of the same.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    First off pretty cool video.

I think you've made an error though in your choice of words. You said "The Twins could have up to $25-$30 million dollars to spend...." That is just not true. They will have at a minimum that much. You also have to consider that they will be recieving another $25-$30 million in additional revenue via MLB. Then, as someone stated above they weren't at their limit last season either. Forbes estimated their 2012 revenue (2013 isn't out yet that I know of) at $214 million. That likely decreased a bit in 2013 but if you use the Twins 52% rule the payroll could have been as high as perhaps $100 million in 2013. When you add it all up I think it would be more accurate to say the Twins could have up to $70 million dollars. It obviously depends on where their revenue really stands at and how the Twins handle the new money being distributed this season, but when you're using the words "up to" you're talking about the most money a team can spend and any way you cut it that will be more than $25-$30 million.

There were eleven FA starting pitchers signed for the 2013 season that qualified for the ERA title and posted better ERA's than Correia. Five posted sub-3.00 ERA's and another three of those posted sub-3.50 ERA's. R.A. Dickey had an ERA almost identical to Correia's.

Failure certainly happened and when it did it came in 3 varieties. Just poor pitching, Dempster, Haren, Jackson, Blanton, Pelfrey and Saunders fall into this catagory; players with injuries, Baker, McCarthy, Marcum, Marquis; and fliers that didn't succeed like Erik Bedard, Derek Lowe, Roy Oswalt, Rich Harden, etc...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast