Thread: Article: Minnesota Twins Top 50 Prospects: 46-50

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Minnesota Twins Top 50 Prospects: 46-50

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seems like there were years a player like Slegers would be in the top 30 while a guy like Turner would be in the 20's!
    This system is pretty good!
    Can't wait for the rest of the series!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree that Stuart Turner is top-50. How can MLB.com inlcude Turner, but exlcude Josmil Pinto from their top-20?

I think of all the prospects if a pitcher is over 6'8 1/2 people like to get exicted about him, I think of randy johnson. That said I think Slegers, is among my favorite prospects.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Seems like there were years a player like Slegers would be in the top 30 while a guy like Turner would be in the 20's!
    It's a bit hard to say without seeing the rest of the list, but they probably would be higher on my list if I tried to rank out to 50. Probably not until at least the late 20s on either though. Love the upside on Slegers and from what I've heard about Turner, even if he only hits like Drew Butera he'll still be as good as Drew Butera overall. That's not too exciting, but it's a good guy to have.

Can't wait for the rest of the series!
    Agreed. These lists are always a lot of fun. I appreciate the work Seth.

Where do you think Turner and Slegers will start out next year? Seems like they could be fast risers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    "...even if he only hits like Drew Butera he'll still be as good as Drew Butera overall."

Wow. The new benchmark for Twins players--Drew Butera. I never knew the Twins couldn't have too many of Drew Butera clones. My baseball appreciation has just increased from reading another TD thread.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post
    I agree that Stuart Turner is top-50. How can MLB.com inlcude Turner, but exlcude Josmil Pinto from their top-20?
    Unexplainable, unless they don't include any player that has MLB service time?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Let It Sano View Post
    Where do you think Turner and Slegers will start out next year? Seems like they could be fast risers.
    I would expect both to start at Cedar Rapids, though I think Turner's got a shot to start in Ft. Myers. Both should end the season with the Miracle, you would hope.

And, I agree with those above. As I learn more about them, my sense is they could both move up this list by the time I put a final version in the book.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That seems pretty low for Slegers Seth. He had some pretty good success in college and hopefully can continue it in professional ball. I loved the draft pick.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    That seems pretty low for Slegers Seth. He had some pretty good success in college and hopefully can continue it in professional ball. I loved the draft pick.
    As do I. Like I said, he'll likely be higher once I've done more research and talked to more people. I just don't want his height to be the reason for excitement. He had one good year in college. He's got upside because of his height. It was a great pick. He's definitely a guy who could skyrocket prospect lists.

I have to agree with seth. Nothing stopping slegers moving up the list if he plays weel next year. I have no problem where he is on the list being that he only played in rookie level ball and it's a small sample size.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really like Slegers. More than Turner despite draft position. You could make a top 50 every month, Seth, and I'd still read it every time. I love top prospect rankings. Love em. Love em.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    I really like Slegers. More than Turner despite draft position. You could make a top 50 every month, Seth, and I'd still read it every time. I love top prospect rankings. Love em. Love em.
    Catcher is such a difficult position to get to the big leagues. There is so much attrition that it's just hard to know with them. I personally like Butera, so if he's any better than that as a big leaguer, I think that's a good thing. It'll be interesting to see how his 2014 goes. I'm agreeing on Slegers too. Thinking about some that I have higher, he definitely could be higher. But, I'm probably too careful about not looking at college pitchers' stats in the Appy League and overcompensated.

Thanks for the compliment! I enjoy it, and really believe these guys (all of them) deserve the recognition!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    I'm with Seth on the success of college players in the appy league....doesn't mean much. Seth, thanks, as always, for your work. Really enjoy it.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Aaron Slegers struck out 59 batters and gave up 108 hits in his 106 innings at IU in 2013. Judging off of a tiny amount of innings in E-Town is not a good idea. It has burned many a prospect before. The Big Ten was terrible last year other than IU, so his college ERA is wildly low.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Aaron Slegers struck out 59 batters and gave up 108 hits in his 106 innings at IU in 2013. Judging off of a tiny amount of innings in E-Town is not a good idea. It has burned many a prospect before. The Big Ten was terrible last year other than IU, so his college ERA is wildly low.
    All of that factors in to him being as low as he is... But it shouldn't take away from the possibility that things click for him and he reaches a potential when he cleans up some mechanics.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    All of that factors in to him being as low as he is... But it shouldn't take away from the possibility that things click for him and he reaches a potential when he cleans up some mechanics.
    I have no problem with him there on your list. He's interesting to watch. But general excitement and calling your placement "low" is pushing it quite a bit. Maybe it will become more clear once people see the 45.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I have no problem with him there on your list. He's interesting to watch. But general excitement and calling your placement "low" is pushing it quite a bit. Maybe it will become more clear once people see the 45.
    Exactly,
    If you are going to say someone is low you have to say who you would push down/out of the list