Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Balance vs. Star Power

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Very complicated.

I am especially annoyed by the evidence that, "Good pitching beats good hitting".

I so want to believe otherwise, or that they are at an even level.

But the 1987 Twins and the 1991 Twins are evidence to the contrary.

Well, Viola & Blyleven weren't supposed to be better than Atlanta. hehehe
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

Liked 208 Times in 110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    That's interesting. I think the common sentiment is that to win in the playoffs you need the big gun - to pitch. But in this round, the Tigers & Dodgers had the big pitching arms and lost.

I hate to say the cliche, but I really think the playoffs are just a craps shoot.
    Correct! Correct! Each of the final for teams are strong, well-rounded teams. The Tigers had Verlander, Scherzer, Sanchez and Foster. BENOIT and Veras each had a big, BAD pitch. Cabrera was so hurt and Fielder and Jackson were bad. These things happen in Short series. The Dodgers had Kershaw, Greinke and Ryu. Ramirez was hurt. Kershaw had a rare bad game. Puig had a bad defensive game. Hey, Iglesius had a big error. Stuff happens.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 45 Posts
    That's interesting. I think the common sentiment is that to win in the playoffs you need the big gun - to pitch. But in this round, the Tigers & Dodgers had the big pitching arms and lost.

I hate to say the cliche, but I really think the playoffs are just a craps shoot.
    Is that why the teams with the best regular season records in their respective leagues are now in the World Series?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 64 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    Is that why the teams with the best regular season records in their respective leagues are now in the World Series?
    And it's the first time in how long?

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 316 Times in 188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    The final 4 teams all seemed to have great pitching. Watching some of the games has confirmed in my mind the importance of pitching and defense.

I would love to see the Twins build a team that can score lots of runs against great pitching and great defense, but after seeing the Tigers flounder, I wonder about the relative importance of having star hitters.
    I still think well rounded is your best bet. Relying on one or two stars is not a good way to approach it. Having the stars is nice, but 1-9 needs to be a threat at the plate as even stars have bad games.... and they had better be able to get it done with the glove too. People look at Detroit's win/loss numbers and think it's powerhouse. They are a good team, but defensively, they are very flawed, particularly in their infield. That team has 3 DH/1B types.

And let's not pretend that Boston doesn't have pitching either. Yes Verlander is the best pitcher, and Scherzer has been great too, but it isn't like Boston is throwing a rotation of PTC guys either.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 346 Times in 197 Posts
    Every year people overreact and think they can deduce the magic formula for winning it all by analyzing the teams in the Series. It doesn't exist.

I'm with John - it's a crapshoot once you hit the playoffs.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 617 Times in 331 Posts

This

Liked 366 Times in 206 Posts
    Albert Pujols had a hand in the Cardinals' Series berth. | SportsonEarth.com : Will Leitch Article

I found this article interesting. Particularly how the Cards started planning early for a big payday for Albert and concentrating on the farm.

Is this partially where the Twins fell apart? Did they fail to have a strategy for the Mauer "big payday" or was it simply that Target Field WAS the strategy?

My personal feeling has always been that the organization got a bit complacent with the looming advent of TF. That they stopped doing the little things well and focusing on things that had made them successful.

Don't get me wrong, draft position and the farm system were also a part of that but I just wonder whether some of their own complacency didn't do them in.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts

Well according to Fangraphs, team WAR for the final four's rotations were:
    Tigers- 1
    Red Sox- 3
    Dodgers- 5
    Cardinals- 6

I don't think the Red Sox and Cardinals ending up in the World Series disproves that dominant starters are the best route to success. Of the 16 starters who took the mound in the two Division Series' only Joe Kelly and Doug Fister had a K/9 less than 7.2. It was star pitching or future star pitching nearly everywhere you looked.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 10-23-2013 at 03:48 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12