Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Twins add Paul Molitor to the major league staff!

Liked 1,073 Times in 479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Manager in Waiting?
    That's my initial reaction as well.

And for what its worth, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the wait was less than 2 years.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    According to the Twins:
    He will oversee base running, bunting and infield instruction, PLUS assist with in-game strategy.
    His last MLB coaching duty was as hitting coach of the Mariners in 2004.
    That sounds great! Now all we need are players that can get on base and follow simple instruction and we could be a .500 team.
    Wait, I forgot about the pitching. Is there any chance they can find someone qualified (not Rick Anderson) who could turn around the pitching staff and than we can get out of the cellar and back to respectability.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    It's hard not to read Molitor being on the staff (whatever his designation might be) as a manager in waiting
    Probably, but that is a complete BS. I like Molitor and I like him around the players. I think he should be a candidate for a managerial position, but if this is a preemptive move to keep the old boys club intact and stall change despite the obvious need for outside voices, Ryan needs to go.

Molitor or any other current employee cannot be given de facto status while we are staring at all this incompetence, it is a huge slap in the face to fans who want to think there is hope this club will someday join the 21st century. Ryan needs to stop insulating this club from the rest of the baseball world.

Liked 333 Times in 176 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    That's my initial reaction as well.

And for what its worth, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the wait was less than 2 years.
    The thread was already four pages long before I read it, and it was almost unbelievable that there were about twenty times more posts about the continued lack of a Spanish-speaking coach in the dugout as there were about the seemingly very high probability that the next manager of the Twins has been named. Start date TBD.

And yes, the two year contract means nothing to anyone except Gardenhire, who gets paid for two years no matter when Molitor takes over, and at least some of the players, who are being told not to treat Gardy like a lame duck manager even though history tells us he unequivocally is.

Completely understand and mostly agree with the take of nicks and others who want new blood from outside the organization. But with Ryan GM'ing (and perhaps even just the Pohlads owning) the Twins, a guy who spent the majority of his time both during and after his playing career away from the Twins might be the closest to an 'outsider' we see as the Twins' manager.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Having spent a lot of time with people from Latin America, speaking spanish, and relating on a cultural level are two very different things. I have nothing against Molitor being added, but someone that can relate better to people in their culture would have been nice, imo.

Not sure I really care one way or the other. I'm fascinated that people care so much. When some of us question the current coaches, and the "growth" of the players, we are told major league coaches don't matter all that much.

I am much more interested in what players they add, than adding a coach. Does no one else see this as a PR move? I do.
    Lighten up Francis....

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I am much more interested in what players they add, than adding a coach. Does no one else see this as a PR move? I do.
    It could be. If so, Molitor got suckered. There's nothing in it for Molitor at this point in his career to be a "baserunning" coach. All the circumstantial evidence points to a changing of the guard soon to come.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Why are there no calls for a black coach, as no one can understand the culture of being black in America because they are not black? Coaches are hired for their ability to work with people. In any diverse workplace there are going to be a variety of different cultures. A coach or manager will not last long in the profession without the ability to work with all kinds of people to get the best out of them.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    It would not be a PR move. The adding of players that were born in Minnesota to play out their final seasons did not increase attendance.

Minnesota Twins hire Paul Molitor as coach - TwinCities.com
    Though some observers might view Molitor as a potential threat to Gardenhire, Ryan said the idea of adding Molitor to the staff actually came from the current manager.
    "This initially came about from Gardy," Ryan said. "Once the season concluded, we sat down in earnest to see exactly how we wanted to proceed. Gardy had mentioned Paul. We had discussed him at length at previous times. As it got serious, I gave Paul a call and Gardy gave Paul a call to see if he had interest, which he did."
    that should probably answer the questions "why now?" and "is Molitor is a manager in training?"

Liked 114 Times in 64 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My experience is that this might make it harder for Molitor to be named manager some day. If things get bad enough that Gardy needs to be fired, I have to think they'll be bad enough that none of his assistant coaches will be given the reins.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 331 Times in 220 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    It would not be a PR move. The adding of players that were born in Minnesota to play out their final seasons did not increase attendance.
    Twins attendance 1990: 1.752M
    Twins sign Jack Morris
    Twins attendance 1991: 2.294M (31% increase in overall attendance).

Twins attendance 1995: 1.058M (72 games)
    Twins sign Paul Molitor
    Twins attendance 1996: 1.437M (81 games) (21% increase in per/game attendance.)

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by benchwarmerjim View Post
    Minnesota Twins hire Paul Molitor as coach - TwinCities.com

that should probably answer the questions "why now?" and "is Molitor is a manager in training?"
    It still doesn't answer the question that wasn't asked of Ryan, namely, why is Molitor a "good fit" now, when according to Ryan, he wasn't a "good fit" last year, or any year previous to now? Ryan said that he and Gardy had "discussed (Molitor) at length at previous times", and yet up until today he has been forever-spurned from joining the field staff on a regular basis. What changed?

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    All the circumstantial evidence points to a changing of the guard soon to come.
    Seems like a fresh new 2-year contract for Gardy would be circumstantial evidence in the opposite direction. Depends on what you mean by "soon", I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    It still doesn't answer the question that wasn't asked of Ryan, namely, why is Molitor a "good fit" now, when according to Ryan, he wasn't a "good fit" last year, or any year previous to now? Ryan said that he and Gardy had "discussed (Molitor) at length at previous times", and yet up until today he has been forever-spurned from joining the field staff on a regular basis. What changed?
    Everything Terry Ryan says begs for a reading between the lines.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Everything Terry Ryan says begs for a reading between the lines.
    And a pair of Secret Decoder "Reading Between the Lines" Glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Seems like a fresh new 2-year contract for Gardy would be circumstantial evidence in the opposite direction. Depends on what you mean by "soon", I guess.
    Yes, soon would be 1 or 2 years, which is lightning speed by Twins standards.

I was on the losing side of the Gardenhire debate. To some of us, it was inconceivable that the status quo prevailed. So if nothing else the Molitor hire at least throws us a bone - and apparently Trevor Plouffe agrees It could very well be just a PR move. If the Twins honestly get some guys turned around and we win some games, I'll be fine with the coaches coming back for 2015.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Yes, soon would be 1 or 2 years, which is lightning speed by Twins standards.

I was on the losing side of the Gardenhire debate. To some of us, it was inconceivable that the status quo prevailed. So if nothing else the Molitor hire at least throws us a bone - and apparently Trevor Plouffe agrees It could very well be just a PR move. If the Twins honestly get some guys turned around and we win some games, I'll be fine with the coaches coming back for 2015.
    Brian Dozier is All In, too:

"He's been a huge help to me, not only as a second baseman but just everything. He kind of changed the way I prepare, I guess, for a game," Dozier said. "We already have a really good coaching staff. To add another good one only makes us better. …

"When you see Paul Molitor, Hall of Famer, you're all ears no matter what."

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Twins attendance 1990: 1.752M
    Twins sign Jack Morris
    Twins attendance 1991: 2.294M (31% increase in overall attendance).

Twins attendance 1995: 1.058M (72 games)
    Twins sign Paul Molitor
    Twins attendance 1996: 1.437M (81 games) (21% increase in per/game attendance.)
    That the Twins were winning those years compared to the poor seasons previous had nothing to do with attendance. It was all to see 2 players. By 1998 with Molitor the attendance had gone back down. They were not winning. Winning draws the fans

Liked 1,073 Times in 479 Posts
    We'll see how it plays out. I still get the strong sense this isn't entirely about adding another coach...a coach who "wasn't a fit" just a year ago and won't be viewed by almost anyone as just another of Gardy's guys.

By next June, if (when?) the Twins are buried in the standings again, on their way to another dismal season, things could get pretty ugly.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 608 Times in 325 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    My experience is that this might make it harder for Molitor to be named manager some day. If things get bad enough that Gardy needs to be fired, I have to think they'll be bad enough that none of his assistant coaches will be given the reins.
    I think given the likely short time frame this might happen, the new infield instruction, base running coach gets spared. Unless of course they play the infield and run the bases like they have the last two years.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast