Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Twins add Paul Molitor to the major league staff!

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Twins add Paul Molitor to the major league staff!

https://twitter.com/Twins/status/392671833587064832

twins.jpg

I like it! Prime him up to take over for Gardy in a couple years?
    Last edited by InfraRen; 10-22-2013 at 10:25 AM.
    Follow me on Twitter: @Infraren

Till I Collapse

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ...but can he pitch?

Liked 208 Times in 110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    According to the Twins:
    He will oversee base running, bunting and infield instruction, PLUS assist with in-game strategy.
    His last MLB coaching duty was as hitting coach of the Mariners in 2004.

Liked 323 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bet that's all they needed to get to a semi-respectable record
    /sarcasm
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 208 Times in 110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Like the change from Joe Vavra to Tom Brunansky was something that many Twins fans wanted, I'm sure that this addition of Paul Molitor will push the Twins to another World Series title!

I'm actually OK with Molitor. He is very respected by the minor leaguers. He's obviously quite knowledgeable.

Liked 366 Times in 206 Posts
    Another opportunity to add a Spanish-speaking coach who might relate to some of the up and coming players down the drain.

The old boys club lives on (unfortunately their results don't thrive.)

I like Molitor on the staff, but it should be at the expense of Vavra or Ullger with someone from outside brought in as well; this organization needs some new blood in coaching/leadership roles.

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Follow me on Twitter: @Infraren

Till I Collapse

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 811 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Another opportunity to add a Spanish-speaking coach who might relate to some of the up and coming players down the drain.

Or you could view it as "they added a Hall of Fame player who is one of the smartest hitters of the last generation and is widely respected throughout the league".

Really, I don't see how anyone can complain about this move. Every time I hear Molitor talk about baseball, I leave impressed.

Yeah, it'd be nice to add a Spanish-speaking coach as well but this is Paul Molitor, for Christ's sake. If that guy's available, you hire him. Period.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 64 Times in 42 Posts
    I'm ambivalent. I don't really think coaching at the ML level matters that much but I do think the Twins need to bring in some Latino coaches.

I get that a guy like Molitor - HOF player - can relate to guys in ways Vavra etc can't. And if Sano, Buxton etc have an appreciation of baseball history, they'll listen more to him. And he certainly knows a thing or two about baserunning and the "little things" that add up. But he hasn't really coached much and I'm not sure how much he can really help. I wish the Twins would pursue someone like Orlando Cabrera who definitely played baseball the "Twins way" who might be able to make the transition from the minors to the majors easier for guys like Sano, Arcia and Rosario.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 811 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew0211 View Post
    I like Molitor on the staff, but it should be at the expense of Vavra or Ullger with someone from outside brought in as well; this organization needs some new blood in coaching/leadership roles.
    Vavra, no. He was a pretty decent hitting coach.

Ullger should have been fired ten years ago.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 184 Times in 104 Posts
    Is Ullger really hurting anything at this point?
    I like bringing Molitor in, alot. Having a guy with a track record like that can be nothing but a positive influence. Also, he battled his demons as a young ball player, with the team about to get extremely young in the next year or two, having a guy like Molitor who can warn about some of the temptations to the youngsters is a GOOD thing IMO.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew0211 View Post
    I agree. With the additions/re-assignments over the last 2 offseasons, only 1 coach was actually let go while 3 have been added. They now have 8 full time coaches on the staff.
    Last edited by SweetOne69; 10-22-2013 at 10:56 AM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I'm ambivalent. I don't really think coaching at the ML level matters that much but I do think the Twins need to bring in some Latino coaches.

I get that a guy like Molitor - HOF player - can relate to guys in ways Vavra etc can't. And if Sano, Buxton etc have an appreciation of baseball history, they'll listen more to him. And he certainly knows a thing or two about baserunning and the "little things" that add up. But he hasn't really coached much and I'm not sure how much he can really help. I wish the Twins would pursue someone like Orlando Cabrera who definitely played baseball the "Twins way" who might be able to make the transition from the minors to the majors easier for guys like Sano, Arcia and Rosario.
    The reason that he hasn't coached was because he wanted to spend time with family after he retired. Now that his kids are older, he wants to get more involved in the game again. He has been a "guest" coach at Spring Training for several years, so it isn't like he has been away completely since he retired.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
    Do they need to make room for Molitor or can they simply add him to the coaches already on the staff?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post

I'm right there with you. The Cubs have come out and said they will higher a coach, at least a bench coach, that is Latin american to help the next wave of talent adjust to the bigs. I love Monitor as much as the next fan but the Twins more than any organization needs fresh blood. Instead this is business as usual.

I like it!

Any truth to the rumors that he and Gardy don't always see eye to eye?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 64 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by panolo View Post
    I like it!

Any truth to the rumors that he and Gardy don't always see eye to eye?
    I doubt it. Molitor wanted to be the manager when Ryan hired Gardy but other than that I don't think there's any bad blood between the two. As mentioned, he's been a pretty consistent presence at ST every year.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 163 Times in 86 Posts
    I have nothing against Molitor and he was a great player, however this team really needs a latin presence on it's coaching staff, imo. If they need room Ullger should have been gone years ago.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    When I hear Molitor talk, it sounds like TK to me... he doesn't mince his words and will go after a player with the "drive in two but let in three" comment even after a win.

I wonder how it will go over in the clubhouse to have someone so openly critical (demanding may be a better adjective) be 'under' the rah-rah Gardy. I imagine the play-off between the dour TK and the buddy-buddy Gardenhire worked great, but good-cop/bad-cop always works better if the 'bad cop' is the one in control!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast