Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Article: TwinsDaily Interview With Terry Ryan: Gardenhire and Molitor

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Yes, you did. Not to be flippant, but this has been hashed out after each Ryan interview, and Ryan repeatedly comes up short in any claims to be embracing the ways in which the game has changed since he first came on the scene.
    Even with the clubs who have a bunch of analytics guys ignore at 95% of their advice anyway. It's like 'we got a stats guy, check' now go sit in the corner and be quiet.

Twins have Jack Goins. Probably a few other guys he gets data/info from.

I have degrees in Chemistry & Mathematics, almost another in Physics. My Career is in analytics. Find someone who has connections with the Twins front office, I'll work for the Twins for free.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the most polarizing thing about Ryan is how closed-mouth he is about procedure. This allows the people who want to think badly of him continue to do so while hypothesizing his transgressions and it allows the people who think highly of him to continue to do so while hypothesizing his winning strategy.

An example of this is that three months ago, people were screaming that the Twins had one guy in analytics without really knowing for sure. We now know for certainty that this is not the case and that they have multiple people in it, people who Ryan claims to consult on every acquisition. I think it's also fair to claim with certainty that they are not using this analytics team to the extent of, say, Tampa Bay.

Should Ryan talk more about procedure? I'm not so sure he should... But I'm also not so sure he shouldn't, if only to quiet some of the fanbase and local writers who go off half-cocked and claim theory as truth, whether it be positive or negative.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post

Should Ryan talk more about procedure? I'm not so sure he should... But I'm also not so sure he shouldn't, if only to quiet some of the fanbase and local writers who go off half-cocked and claim theory as truth, whether it be positive or negative.
    Ryan only has to answer to the Pohlads and it's pretty clear they have a very high opinion of him so I don't think he has to give away his thinking just so a few guys in the fanbase are satisfied. Most of the local writers - at least the ones that matter - are pretty pro-Ryan, even if they do take the occasional shot at him.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    I agree.

2012 Draft was great. Could go down as the best draft in Twins history.
    I find that statement amusing given that there were a lot of people complaining about the Twins draft strategy in 2012 (with all the college relievers in particular). I'm not sure I'm ready to call it best in history (though truth be told, I'm much of a historian here), but that draft class is looking promising.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I think the most polarizing thing about Ryan is how closed-mouth he is about procedure. This allows the people who want to think badly of him continue to do so while hypothesizing his transgressions and it allows the people who think highly of him to continue to do so while hypothesizing his winning strategy.

An example of this is that three months ago, people were screaming that the Twins had one guy in analytics without really knowing for sure. We now know for certainty that this is not the case and that they have multiple people in it, people who Ryan claims to consult on every acquisition. I think it's also fair to claim with certainty that they are not using this analytics team to the extent of, say, Tampa Bay.

The number of fans that buy at least one ticket could number in the 3-500000 range. The number that care about the process that passionately? 1%? A fan's biggest concern would be if they win, not how they get to that point.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234