Thread: Article: White Sox Sign Jose Abreu: Donkey Kong Part II

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: White Sox Sign Jose Abreu: Donkey Kong Part II

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Excellent article. Helpful information to put things in perspective.

Now lets sign someone you can't rip apart!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for this analysis, I think many times most of us want to sign someone for the sake of signing someone. I might be in the minority but I happen to like the direction TR has the organization going. I can handle another year or two of losing if it means adding elite talent to our organization. There really is no need to make a splash right no IMO other than to put fans in the seats.

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    It's worth nothing that Adam Dunn was a very good player before he signed with the White Sox. They could not have possible predicted he would fall off a cliff when he signed with them.

Also, 25 at-bats is irrelevant. The quality of Cuban pitching is a valid argument, though.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 132 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by raindog View Post
    It's worth nothing that Adam Dunn was a very good player before he signed with the White Sox. They could not have possible predicted he would fall off a cliff when he signed with them.

Also, 25 at-bats is irrelevant. The quality of Cuban pitching is a valid argument, though.
    Scouting reports are also relevant. He has a long swing that might have trouble with MLB pitchers. He is an MLB caliber player but it's debatable just how good he might be. I think it's more likely that he's a .250 hitter with a .310-.320 OBP. He will hit some HR's but I don't think he will be all that good.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 68 Times in 48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Scouting reports are also relevant. He has a long swing that might have trouble with MLB pitchers. He is an MLB caliber player but it's debatable just how good he might be. I think it's more likely that he's a .250 hitter with a .310-.320 OBP. He will hit some HR's but I don't think he will be all that good.
    Here's an interesting comp - I read where a scout used a comp of what you saw from Evan Gattis this season. I believe Gattis has a chance based on his pedigree and past performance to have a much better OBP, but this season he posted a .771 OPS, 106 OPS+, 21 homers, but a .243/.291 BA/OBP line. If that's what Abreu is, he'll have a chance to post 30+ homers with his 65-75 grade power, but he'll likely be closer to a Chris Carter than a Paul Konerko sort of 30-homer guy.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMind07 View Post
    other than to put fans in the seats.
    Which is, to be fair, something that is normally of very keen interest to a GM.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMind07 View Post
    Thank you for this analysis, I think many times most of us want to sign someone for the sake of signing someone. I might be in the minority but I happen to like the direction TR has the organization going. I can handle another year or two of losing if it means adding elite talent to our organization. There really is no need to make a splash right no IMO other than to put fans in the seats.
    Tanking for multiple years sure worked out for the Royals fans, hasn't it? Baltimore still hasn't recovered previous fan interest from their long-term tenure in the wilderness. And generating interest that puts fans in the seats is kind-of the main point for a sports franchise- healthy, and predictable, year-after-year profits means your favorite baseball team has even better means to acquiring the elite talent we all crave.