Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Minnesota Twins Top 50 Prospects: 36-40

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I have the great fear that all catchers below Pinto are going to disappoint.
    I don't but mostly because I never expect too much from a catcher.

Wimmers will get every chance to shine in 2014 in the minors. The question is, do the Twins put him on the 40-man roster. He would have to start at Ft. Myers this year (partly because he will still be in the best training center area.) You can debate if he will go as high as New Brit. But he has to try and make it as a starter. As Seth says, he can 40-man for 3-4 years, if the Twins feel they have the space for him. He just needs to face batters now.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Wimmers is an interesting case. Hate to say that, but he does not belong in a prospect list anymore and I suspect that if he were a 10th round vs a 1st round draft pick he would not be in this list. Think of this:

He is the same age as Liam Hendriks, has pretty much the same stuff (with less velocity), but (unlike Hendriks) he never got to pitch more than 41 innings in any professional level or have any substantial success. This does not a top 50 prospect make, given that he does not have a lights out pitch (like a 98 mph FB or a killer slider or change that can potentially be harvested in the future.) I did like his two seamer when I saw him at ST in 2012, but it is an 88-90 mph pitch.

Make or break year for him and he really needs to be lights out in New Britain this season to make it.
    Mid-rotation potential always belongs in a top 50.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    My question: what type of rotation are the Twins trying to build? The names mentioned in this list as pitchers sound like they are simply less experienced versions of the pitchers that are/have been in the rotation the past few years. Continuing to develop this type as a starter inevitably leads to adding the most successful as "tryouts" to the rotation. The answer is already in--these aren't the guys! The bar for the rotation must be set higher in order to actually develop the rotation required to win consistently. Melotakis, (I thought) had the most success of the named bunch this past season, projects (to me) as a Craig Breslow--who is actually a darn useful pitcher! Another thread is neded for Breslow--so back to Melotakis, develop him for what he really is/can be. A very useful pitcher can be had, and not in an interminable period. Geese should not be confused with swans despite how much you truly want swans.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    My question: what type of rotation are the Twins trying to build? The names mentioned in this list as pitchers sound like they are simply less experienced versions of the pitchers that are/have been in the rotation the past few years. Continuing to develop this type as a starter inevitably leads to adding the most successful as "tryouts" to the rotation. The answer is already in--these aren't the guys! The bar for the rotation must be set higher in order to actually develop the rotation required to win consistently. Melotakis, (I thought) had the most success of the named bunch this past season, projects (to me) as a Craig Breslow--who is actually a darn useful pitcher! Another thread is neded for Breslow--so back to Melotakis, develop him for what he really is/can be. A very useful pitcher can be had, and not in an interminable period. Geese should not be confused with swans despite how much you truly want swans.
    Please note that so far we have been looking at #s 36-50. These are "good" prospects, but they're not top prospects. Good prospects can get to the big leagues and contribute as bullpen arms, bench bats/utility players, 5th/6th/7th starters, 4/5th Outfielders, and once in awhile be more.

I don't know what you're hoping for. There are only about 15 true aces in all of baseball. There are maybe 30 #2s, an then pretty much everyone else fits into the 3-5 category. Those guys throw the types of velocities that these guys throw. They throw the types of pitches these guys throw. And many of them become successful in the big leagues.

There is no one way to build a rotation. There is no "perfect" pitching prospect (Mark Prior was one, right? Strasburg? Cole? Etc.) With so few obvious top pitching prospects, having a few of them is good, and the rest are guys you're hoping with based on one or two pitches, good control, etc.

As for Melotakis, and Wimmers, and Duffey, it would be silly to give up on them, just like Summers from a previous list. They could continue to progress, find something that clicks. Get used to working a full season and what that means they need to do. Who knows?

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Melotakis spent better than half the 2013 season experimenting with different grips for his breaking ball and really didn't come up with an effective one until almost the point where he was pulled from the rotation and moved to the bullpen due to his innings. He's got plenty of velocity on the fastball to fall back on, whether as a starter or bullpen arm, but if he had worked strictly from the pen in 2013, would he have gotten enough innings to finally find that breaking ball? Or would he still have been looking for it next year?

I think it's much too soon to know with certainty what his eventual role will be, but I agree with Seth, until you know a lot more than what you know now, you let him get starting pitcher innings and as much work on those secondary pitches as possible.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Administrator Double-A Twins Daily Admin's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't want to make too much of the stats, and I know a lot of these guys are working on other things and have a little time, but I gotta say - the K rates from some of these guys that I had higher expectations for, are again making me wonder about how the Twins scout pitchers.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 135 Times in 95 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I had Mason Melotakis as my Adopt-a-Prospect in 2013 and I got to meet him in Cedar Rapids when I made a trip there in June. He seems like a nice young man and seemed legitimately surprised and flattered when I told him he was my Adopt-a-Prospect. He seems to have the skill set to advance quickly and he did a good job last season overall. I would expect that he'll advance quickly when his role (starter or reliever) is determined.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    I don't want to make too much of the stats, and I know a lot of these guys are working on other things and have a little time, but I gotta say - the K rates from some of these guys that I had higher expectations for, are again making me wonder about how the Twins scout pitchers.
    Scout or instruct. Something just doesn't add up. Other clubs just don't seem to have as much trouble getting minor leaguers with above average K rates.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    As with everything else pitching-related, I blame it on 'Pitch to Contact'!

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Scout or instruct. Something just doesn't add up. Other clubs just don't seem to have as much trouble getting minor leaguers with above average K rates.
    I'd be willing to bet that if you were looking at the 36-40 range prospects of other clubs, you'd likely see a lot of guys like this. You start getting up higher on this list, and you'll start seeing guys with better K rates.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I'd be willing to bet that if you were looking at the 36-40 range prospects of other clubs, you'd likely see a lot of guys like this. You start getting up higher on this list, and you'll start seeing guys with better K rates.
    I completely agree with this. If they struck out 8.0/9 IP or more, they'd likely be higher. (or relievers) I would like to think that the Twins have more K guys higher up this list, and there are a few. Tim Atherton struck out a batter an inning in Cedar Rapids this year and he was in one of the last groups.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 339 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Or just as importantly, how they coach them.

How many pitchers, in general, not necessarily just prospects, significantly increase their K rate after joining the Twins organization?

Recent case in point, perhaps not statistcally significant, but still possibly indicative:

Miguel Sulbaran moves within the same league:

@ Great Lakes K*9 8.3
    @ Cedar Rapids K*9 7.2

That's a 13.25% drop in K*9 rate.

Blog Entries
    Of course, he threw 92.2 innings with Great Lakes and 20.0 innings with Cedar Rapids, but don't worry about that small sample size. Or, that the West was much more difficult than the East division this year.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Of course, he threw 92.2 innings with Great Lakes and 20.0 innings with Cedar Rapids, but don't worry about that small sample size. Or, that the West was much more difficult than the East division this year.
    Or that this was his first taste of full season professional ball.

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And we got him for Drew Butera? I'm still laughing about that one

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12