Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Minnesota Twins Top 50 Prospects: 36-40

Liked 208 Times in 110 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Minnesota Twins Top 50 Prospects: 36-40

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In my unprofessional opinion, Melotakis is the most likely on this list to reach the show. I say this under the assumption that he will ultimately be in the bullpen. I still think Wimmers could be solid. Nice job so far Seth!

Blog Entries
    Just 35 more to go!

I agree that Melotakis will be a very good bullpen arm, but I completely agree with seeing if the starting can work (because I believe starters are worth more than relievers (many more innings).

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Navarreto over Turner? I wouldn't have done that but I guess you think their is more potential in Navarreto?

This is a lot of fun, thanks for doing this!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hey Seth, love all the work you put into this, great reads! Small request as I find myself jumping back & forth from this page to the players last season stats. Any way they could be tossed in at the end of the summary for each player?

Also with the pitchers, does anyone know a good site where you can find a pitchers pitch repetoire? Like he has a 2 seamer, curve, changeup & slider. etc...

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 52 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Navaretto and Atherton confuse me completely. Like . . . .completely.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Navarreto over Turner? I wouldn't have done that but I guess you think their is more potential in Navarreto?

This is a lot of fun, thanks for doing this!
    This is fun! Thanks!

I think that Navarreto's upside is much higher than Turner's. Size, power. Much more offensive upside. Turner's three years older and is tremendous defensively but many question his offensive game. I would say Turner is much more likely to get to the big leagues, but "a little better offensively than Drew Butera" isn't terribly exciting. Naverreto has a long way to go, but for me, prospect lists are about potential, or at least that's a big part of it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor0333 View Post
    Hey Seth, love all the work you put into this, great reads! Small request as I find myself jumping back & forth from this page to the players last season stats. Any way they could be tossed in at the end of the summary for each player?

Also with the pitchers, does anyone know a good site where you can find a pitchers pitch repetoire? Like he has a 2 seamer, curve, changeup & slider. etc...
    Good suggestions. I could provide links to their Baseball-Reference.com page or their milb.com page, if people would like.

As for a place to find pitcher's repertoires, I would suggest ordering the 2014 Minnesota Twins Prospect Handbook where I'll be sure to include that for everyone, with velocities and much more.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Navaretto and Atherton confuse me completely. Like . . . .completely.
    How so? You think they should be higher? Lower?

Liked 323 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wimmers is an interesting case. Hate to say that, but he does not belong in a prospect list anymore and I suspect that if he were a 10th round vs a 1st round draft pick he would not be in this list. Think of this:

He is the same age as Liam Hendriks, has pretty much the same stuff (with less velocity), but (unlike Hendriks) he never got to pitch more than 41 innings in any professional level or have any substantial success. This does not a top 50 prospect make, given that he does not have a lights out pitch (like a 98 mph FB or a killer slider or change that can potentially be harvested in the future.) I did like his two seamer when I saw him at ST in 2012, but it is an 88-90 mph pitch.

Make or break year for him and he really needs to be lights out in New Britain this season to make it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 217 Times in 149 Posts
    I disagree with thrylos, he certainly belongs on prospect lists because he stil has upside, and isn't in the majors......

Not a fan of picking and rewarding players that act like Navarreto, but he was a kid and racial stuff can escalate. I hope he's on a short leash.

Of this list, Melotakis is the most likely, imo, to make the majors. I think it will be as a reliever, but letting him start this year is not a bad idea. But I hope they make a decision faster than they have with some others. At some point, the guy can be a MLB reliever and be set for life financially, or he can spend years more in the minors. I don't know what will happen here, but I hope they decide this year, not 2 years from now.

Blog Entries
    Thrylos, I can't really disagree with you much. Certainly, he would not be on the list if he were a 10th rounder instead of a first rounder. However, he was a first-rounder, and rightfully so, just three years ago. Injuries are part of the game, and because of his injuries and struggles, he is not going to be debuting at age 23 like so many hope. In fact, he may not debut until he's 27 (if at all). However, if he comes back in 2014 at 100% and gets a full year under his belt, works 140 or so innings and and produces, it will be as a starting pitcher. Let's say he debuts at 27 and is an average big league starter (#3/4 type), for six pre-free agency years, that takes him to 33. Six years of a starter is pretty valuable. Now, I'm obviously countering that by placing him at 40 with what happened his first full season when he was healthy and the uncertainty of any TJ or surgery comeback. That's some of my thinking.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why not bring up Melotakis quickly (once he is ready) to the minnesota bullpen? Then after a year or two...move him to starting pitcher (like the path of rule 5 pick Johan Santana)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This season had to be a pretty big increase in innings over anything Melotakis has ever done before, right? I'd be curious if he wasn't somewhat "pacing himself" knowing that was going to be the case, and that next year you might see a little bump from him as he's better conditioned for the workload. I'd definitely give him another season as a starter to see what happens.

Blog Entries
    My thought is that starters are much more valuable, so if you can develop them, go for it. A reminder that most good relievers were not relievers in the minor leagues. They were starters.

Consider, most relievers aren't closers. Set up guys may go one inning, but they also could go 2, even 3. So, it certainly doesn't hurt to have them 1.) work on pitches, and 2.) stretch out to be able to fill a long-relief type of role if needed when they are called up.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Develop him as a starter in the minors

Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post
    Why not bring up Melotakis quickly (once he is ready) to the minnesota bullpen? Then after a year or two...move him to starting pitcher (like the path of rule 5 pick Johan Santana)
    Santana was only in the bullpen because they had to keep him on the 25 man roster. Until Melotakis has to go on the 40 man roster they should keep trying him as a starting pitcher. There is really no downside - he gets to see more batters and work more on his secondary pitches as a starter. Minor league relievers don't get much more than 60 innings a year. My guess is they'll make the decision when he reaches AA.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 217 Times in 149 Posts
    Sure there is downside. If he's not going to be a SP, he delays his income by a lot staying in the minors as a bad starter* rather than moving up as a good reliever.

*I'm not syaing he is bad, I'm saying there is certainly downside risk to staying a starter.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Melotakis hasn't been a bad starter. He's moving up the ladder as a starting pitcher and I assume that will continue until he isn't performing well. If he gets to AA and they decide to convert him back to relief he'll move quickly. Getting him innings speeds his development, it doesn't slow it down.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    If Melotakis can only manage 6.8 K/9 in Low A ball, I don't know that I care to see much more of him as a starter. I had high, likely too high, hopes for him, Duffy and the rest of that 2012 pitching class. I thought the Twins might be on to something converting these hard-throwing relievers with littler wear and tear into starters but it doesn't look to be working.

Either these guys lost more velocity than expected or the Twins have tinkered too much, either way, if the ceiling is #5-6 starter, might as well stick them back in the pen because that's where back-end starters end up most of the time anyway.

I agree with the Navarreto over Stewart. I know it's not cool or old-school to say so, but offense trumps defense, always, and it's not like Navarreto looks bad behind the plate.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 52 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have the great fear that all catchers below Pinto are going to disappoint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast