Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Meyer leads Glendale

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    The suggestion being that Ryan called up Gibson mostly because the rubes were clamoring for him?
    I didn't get that Brock was suggesting that, but I wondered about it at the time.
    Albers' numbers were better than Gibson's when Gibson was called up.
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgoat_MN View Post
    I didn't get that Brock was suggesting that, but I wondered about it at the time.
    Albers' numbers were better than Gibson's when Gibson was called up.
    Ok then.. maybe I'm just being hyper sensitive to the "blame the players, blame the fans" narrative. Apologies Brock.

Side note being that IMO Terry Ryan needs to forget about calling up Alex Meyer until he can get either Gibson or Diamond straightened out and pitching well again.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 329 Times in 218 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ryan said he wasn't going deep enough into games and toyed with the strike zone too often. Gibson was called up and...
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Do you have a link for that? I don't remember hearing Ryan saying that. I'm not saying it's not true, but all I remember Ryan saying was that Gibson wasn't consistant enough which really wasn't true.

Also looking at Gibson's numbers in AAA last year, he pitched 101 innings in 17 starts. At the MLB level, doubling those 17 starts to 34 would equal a full and healthy season for a starter which would mean his start/innings numbers would have extrapolated out to 34/200. Maybe he was only averaging 6 innings a start, but that 200 innings and 34 starts seem to be the benchmark this club looks for in their free agents.
    Ryan may have said those things, but Gibson's numbers from May 8 to June 20 belie and utterly refute that notion and those comments. Hence, there was very strong evidence for why all the clamor for calling him up to staunch the bleeding on the Twins woeful SP staff.

From May 3 to May 25, 3 of Gibson's 4 starts were shutouts, 2 of them complete games, the other, 8 innings. I didn't get the pitch counts during that stretch of 9 starts, but in only one of them, could he be termed "wild", with 5 BBs on June 9.

Gibson's numbers over that time frame:

9 Starts
    2 complete games
    61 innings pitched
    6.8 innings/game
    BB*9 2.6
    H*9 6.8
    K*9 7.7
    WHIP 1.06
    ERA 2.36

Only 1 start less than 6 innings, 5 of 9 starts, 7 innings or more.
    Last edited by jokin; 10-25-2013 at 05:00 PM.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 329 Times in 218 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Ok then.. maybe I'm just being hyper sensitive to the "blame the players, blame the fans" narrative. Apologies Brock.

Side note being that IMO Terry Ryan needs to forget about calling up Alex Meyer until he can get either Gibson or Diamond straightened out and pitching well again.
    How about both of them?

Really, without both of them stepping up, AND a quality FA acquisition, 2014 is going to be a very long year reminiscent of the last 3.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12