Thread: Blackburn coming back?

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 170 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries

Blackburn coming back?

When questioned about the 2014 budget, Terry Ryan said the sub-60m figure the Twins are projected to spend doesn't include Blackburn.

TD: Well, the estimation at the end of the year was like 55 or 56
    million.

TR: You counting Blackburn?

TD: Probably not, no.

TR: OK, so you donít know. [Smiles] I do, so weíll be OK.
    Buckle in for some Blackie!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Is he under contract for next year? I thought next year was an option year that the Twins would clearly not exercise. I suppose they could invite him back on a minor league deal but I guess I'm not really seeing the connection of your quoted material.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that was a simple miscommunication. Ryan thought Parker was referring to the 2013 payroll (which technically included Blackburn's $5.5M salary for this year), whereas Parker was referring more to the present commitments, which no longer include guys like Blackburn, Pelfrey, etc.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 170 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Is he under contract for next year? I thought next year was an option year that the Twins would clearly not exercise. I suppose they could invite him back on a minor league deal but I guess I'm not really seeing the connection of your quoted material.
    Yes there is an 8m option on Blackie's contract for 2014 which would push the Twins projected payroll from the high 50s to around 67m.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    I think that was a simple miscommunication.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    I think that was a simple miscommunication. Ryan thought Parker was referring to the 2013 payroll (which technically included Blackburn's $5.5M salary for this year), whereas Parker was referring more to the present commitments, which no longer include guys like Blackburn, Pelfrey, etc.
    I hated that exchange. I hope it sounded better than it came across in reading it because TR came across as a smug jerk who acted as if he had hidden information and that fans have no clue.