Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Article: Free Agent Pitcher Profile: Ubaldo Jimenez

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    I can follow that logic.
    I can too. I am confused by those wanting to trade prospects for certain pitchers when the equivalent pitchers are available for money that is readily available.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mostly I want Ubaldo on the Twins so I can get a shirt that says "U-ballin w/ Ubaldo" or something to that extent, as long as it has "U-ballin" somewhere. I'd be quite pleased if the Twins signed Ubaldo. 4/64 seems solid, obviously I'd prefer to see a 2/3 year deal, even a 2/35 like Timmy. The Twins May have some pitching coming up through their system, and inking questionable "stars" to long term deals is something I'd avoid, however, the lack of high-minors pitching talent puts me squarely in the Ubaldo territory. Sign him. Give up the 2nd round draft pick.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    I'd rather overpay for Jimenez than Correia.

Jimenez is close to the wrong side of thirty with his continue decrease of velocity, the twins might get two more good years out of him. Id rather try to get lucky in the second round and get a guy that can help us for TEN years.

But if the twins were expected to contend in two years, I would say yes.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heimer View Post
    Jimenez is close to the wrong side of thirty with his continue decrease of velocity, the twins might get two more good years out of him. Id rather try to get lucky in the second round and get a guy that can help us for TEN years.

But if the twins were expected to contend in two years, I would say yes.
    The Twins won't be held back by lack of prospects. They will be held back by never having enough effective MLB'ers to add prospects to. Ubaldo only costs money and a what likely amounts to a marginal prospect. Adding an above average arm is exactly what this team needs (now and 3 years from now).

I already showed draft results for the Twins (and the entire MLB) is really sketchy once you get close to the 2nd rd. And even if that pick turned out it will probably take 3-4 years to even make the majors.

I think you are also prematurely jumping the gun by saying that someone won't be effective at age 32.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 191 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Offseason Handbook pegs his estimated contract at four years and $64 million
    This would please everyone wouldn't it? Those of us who'd like to watch a better product would get a front of the rotation talent. Those concerned about the profitability of the product and breaking minor league talent into the rotation would have a starter coming off the books in each of the next 5 years. Everybody wins.

I guess there is the question of - would Ubaldo go for 4/64. At this point, I think most of us would be surprised if he could do better than that anywhere else.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    I don't think he will get near 4/64. The teams that make the most sense to me are Toronto and the Yanks- I still do not see him as a fit for the Twins

8. This user likes Otwins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

thetank (02-09-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
    I agree 100% with Kab21's comment way back in October about adding the right pieces in MLB right now to augment the good prospects coming along. If management does not do that there is little or no success to look forward to in regards to moving up in the standings.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123