Thread: Ryan Q&A with Darren Wolfson

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Actually, I think his answer was "we're smart enough to fix this."
    Or maybe it was "Nothing is broken. What's to fix?"

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    I'm glad that Ryan feels confident that his team can turn the ship around, but when he says "we'll get this thing squared up" the "we" he's referring to is largely the same bunch that bungled it in the first place.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,304 Times in 702 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I think he's right though. There are always these early signings and people gasp around wondering if it'll set the market, but then things come back down. Even with the economic gain (the $25M in additional revenues - of which $13M would equal about 52%, I don't think that Lincecum sets it. It was a crazy deal by the Giants, and teams know it.
    Perhaps he is and yes it is a common occurrence, although by no means a given. I just have this sinking feeling that he's saying it with his fingers crossed behind his back, because he ain't going there.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Lots one can do with $65 Million in a year, but you got to commit that 52% of revenues to payroll. I am convinced that if the Twins spend that $ wisely, they could be contending in 2014. However, I am almost convinced that Ryan does not know how to do this.
    I think it's a bad idea to continually run yourself against your budget ceiling. It leaves no wiggle room for improvisation should something good or bad happen in 2014-2015. It also can crunch you when your young, good players start asking for raises and/or extensions.

On the other hand, if the Twins have a ceiling of $110m+ right now, they should be no lower than $90m at the end of this offseason.

That's still plenty of money to shore up this MLB team. Phil Hughes, Josh Johnson, and a few minor offensive bats can be had for $30m a year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Perhaps he is and yes it is a common occurrence, although by no means a given. I just have this sinking feeling that he's saying it with his fingers crossed behind his back, because he ain't going there.
    To be fair, I think Ryan means it and believes in his guys. I just also think it's fair for us to not have the same faith in his crew and demand better results seeing as there are plenty of resources available.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 167 Posts
    IMO it's an ego thing with Ryan. He wants to prove that he can do it without all the stats and spending a lot of money.

Pohlad has said the money is there (true or not) so even spending 30m to be at 90m payroll, well under the Pohlad stated 52%, might not make us a contender but should certainly make the team much easier to watch for the fans.

Note to Terry Ryan and Jim Pohlad, the last 3 years have been very hard to watch, please improve this team!!!
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    IMO it's an ego thing with Ryan. He wants to prove that he can do it without all the stats and spending a lot of money.
    In all honesty, how can you think it's an ego thing? The guy literally prevented a fawning book to be written about him. I'm sure he believes in his staff to fix this since they've done it before and he was the only small payroll GM to keep his team successful while turning over the teams nucleus.

It's not like he took over a team with an obvious quick fix solution. The Twins couldn't have spent their way out of this mess.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 332 Times in 210 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I think it's a bad idea to continually run yourself against your budget ceiling. It leaves no wiggle room for improvisation should something good or bad happen in 2014-2015. It also can crunch you when your young, good players start asking for raises and/or extensions.
    It's going to be 3-4 years before the Twins have any decent young players looking for anything more than token raises. Probably 5-6 years until any homegrown talent could look for "star" money.

I'm all for leaving a little wiggle room in the budget, but $30+ million is more than "wiggle room." I'd rather prove NOW that this team and GM are willing to spend, and willing (and able) to use free agency to improve the team. That's going to be a lot more important to the next good Twins team than leaving extra payroll space over the next 5 years.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 332 Times in 210 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    In all honesty, how can you think it's an ego thing? The guy literally prevented a fawning book to be written about him. I'm sure he believes in his staff to fix this since they've done it before and he was the only small payroll GM to keep his team successful while turning over the teams nucleus.

It's not like he took over a team with an obvious quick fix solution. The Twins couldn't have spent their way out of this mess.
    I don't think its ego-driven necessarily. But I do get a dismissive "I'll do it my way, thanks" vibe from TR. Which was great when they emerged from the wilderness to have a good run in the low-budget Dome... less encouraging when we are lost in the wilderness again, under budget, and better players are always 2-3 years away.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Go twins!! Get better-soon!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post

Pohlad has said the money is there (true or not) so even spending 30m to be at 90m payroll, well under the Pohlad stated 52%, might not make us a contender but should certainly make the team much easier to watch for the fans.

Note to Terry Ryan and Jim Pohlad, the last 3 years have been very hard to watch, please improve this team!!!
    The contract extension for Gardenhire signifies that Pohlad is supporting "the plan". So far that plan has been replace expensive veterans with much cheaper young players. I fully expect this "plan" to be continued. The statement "the money is there" is vague and non-committal. A multi-year deal means the "team" need not focus on adding a few extra wins in 2014 at the expense of following "the plan".

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 207 Times in 116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    So far that plan has been replace expensive veterans with much cheaper young players. I fully expect this "plan" to be continued.
    Do you sincerely believe that's the "plan" Ryan sold the Pohlad's on?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    It's going to be 3-4 years before the Twins have any decent young players looking for anything more than token raises. Probably 5-6 years until any homegrown talent could look for "star" money.

I'm all for leaving a little wiggle room in the budget, but $30+ million is more than "wiggle room." I'd rather prove NOW that this team and GM are willing to spend, and willing (and able) to use free agency to improve the team. That's going to be a lot more important to the next good Twins team than leaving extra payroll space over the next 5 years.
    When I say "wiggle room", I don't only mean player raises.

What if the current crop of Twins prospects come up and churn out an 85 win season despite a guy like Phil Hughes falling on his face? At that point, wouldn't you like an extra $15-20m to go find a good starter in the offseason? What if the pitching succeeds but the middle infield is a disaster? Wouldn't you want some available cash to shore up that deficiency?

This team can spend plenty and not go anywhere near their theoretical ceiling of $120m. And at this point, I see no reason for them to push anywhere close to that number. Leave space to add necessary pieces down the road as you get closer to competitive baseball.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Do you sincerely believe that's the "plan" Ryan sold the Pohlad's on?
    I do, yes. That is part of the plan. I sincerely believe that.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member MVP
    When I say "wiggle room", I don't only mean player raises.

What if the current crop of Twins prospects come up and churn out an 85 win season despite a guy like Phil Hughes falling on his face? At that point, wouldn't you like an extra $15-20m to go find a good starter in the offseason? What if the pitching succeeds but the middle infield is a disaster? Wouldn't you want some available cash to shore up that deficiency?

This team can spend plenty and not go anywhere near their theoretical ceiling of $120m. And at this point, I see no reason for them to push anywhere close to that number. Leave space to add necessary pieces down the road as you get closer to competitive baseball.

What is more likely? Signing legit MLB players, and having them be good, or having this same exact roster win 85 games?
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    What is more likely? Signing legit MLB players, and having them be good, or having this same exact roster win 85 games?
    Except he didn't say this roster.

Senior Member MVP
    I guess not, but which prospects are coming up this year? And, what is more likely, those prospects come up and win 85, without spending ANY money on pitching, or that bringing in MLB pitchers and hitters will win more games? What's more likely?
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    I guess not, but which prospects are coming up this year? And, what is more likely, those prospects come up and win 85, without spending ANY money on pitching, or that bringing in MLB pitchers and hitters will win more games? What's more likely?
    Maybe I wasn't entirely clear but I'm not advocating fielding this same roster in 2014. I mentioned Phil Hughes in the post, which suggests that I'm all for spending money this offseason to pick up quality players.

But I think running up to the theoretical $120m ceiling just because you can is a mistake. When a team is this bad and is relying on prospects so heavily to succeed, you simply don't know what holes you'll have in 2015. At that point, the prudent move is to spend some money this year (maybe $20m), spend a little more next season (maybe another $10-15m), then make a big push when you know what you need to become a playoff team.

Senior Member All-Star
    Well, every year the Twins are going to bring in pitchers and hitters. As for rookies debuting next year, I'd bet that Sano, Rosario, Meyer and May all get up next year. (Personally, I think Buxton comes up this year, too, but that's just a wild guess/hope thing).

I think what Brock is trying to say is that you don't want to make a signing now that hurts the teams flexibility when that core needs some help. I know you like Ellsbury, for example, so if the Twins spent a 7/142 (Carl Crawford like deal, which is what Boras has suggested as a starting point), the Twins would be paying over 21m/year for a guy who will be a declining left fielder (and perhaps declining quickly based on his skill set) when the core is ready to compete and getting raises. I think the Twins would be better off by using FA to plug holes that a good team has - think of 2010, when the Twins added a 4WAR pitcher, a 25HR DH and a strong MI to a pretty decent nucleus.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Maybe I wasn't entirely clear but I'm not advocating fielding this same roster in 2014. I mentioned Phil Hughes in the post, which suggests that I'm all for spending money this offseason to pick up quality players.

But I think running up to the theoretical $120m ceiling just because you can is a mistake. When a team is this bad and is relying on prospects so heavily to succeed, you simply don't know what holes you'll have in 2015. At that point, the prudent move is to spend some money this year (maybe $20m), spend a little more next season (maybe another $10-15m), then make a big push when you know what you need to become a playoff team.
    It should be obvious what they need to become a playoff team - starting pitching, both on the front-line and depth in the minors. They need a couple good pitchers right now, as well as more SP talent in the high minors so they're not demolished because someone reverts to Blackburn-levels or needs Tommy John surgery.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast