Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 58

Thread: Ryan Q&A with Darren Wolfson

  1. #1
    Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,954
    Like
    257
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts

    Ryan Q&A with Darren Wolfson

    Wolfson gives a pretty good interview.

    Lots to chew on: clarification on Molitor, Mauer to firstbase, sabermetrics, and everyone's favorite, free agent pitching.

  2. #2
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,675
    Like
    302
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Nice interview. Seems he's confident in his plans.

    I hope Plouffe has a strong year next season. He's frustrating.

  3. #3
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    Great interview. He's making himself accessible. I appreciate that.

    This part was interesting to me:

    Why not hire some of their guys? Find their No. 6 or 7 guy and make him the No.4 guy under you?
    Why don't I just copy what they're doing? I have a lot of trust in our guys. We'll get this thing squared up.
    Lighten up Francis....

  4. #4
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,675
    Like
    302
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post

    Why not hire some of their guys? Find their No. 6 or 7 guy and make him the No.4 guy under you?
    Why don't I just copy what they're doing? I have a lot of trust in our guys. We'll get this thing squared up.
    Yeah, I thought it was interesting too. And this is where the Ryan and anti-Ryan crowds will clash so I didn't post it. I agree with Ryan, others don't. It seems that people are so dug in now it doesn't really matter anymore.

  5. #5
    Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    3,610
    Like
    912
    Liked 1,266 Times in 677 Posts
    Well, the Giants overwhelmed Lincecum. I think that contract will affect the market.
    I don't know about that. We say that every year when a guy signs early. Everyone tries to portray that as the market. I don't necessarily agree with that. That's one instance. There will be a couple (contracts) that come into play this winter, or fall, and we will all grasp some. But that doesn't mean it sets the market.


    Usually hate to play the cyncic but it sounds more to me like he's hoping it doesn't set the market, because he won't be in it if it does. Not that I would have advocted signing Lincecum to that deal but if that's what it takes for him, it's not going to get much better.



  6. #6
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,813
    Like
    173
    Liked 656 Times in 369 Posts
    Straightforward, but I disagree when he said they never needed to use free agency during their last run. He's confusing need with desire, there were certainly needs.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    267
    Like
    19
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    I found it intresting he said Trevor would get a contract but declined to answer on Swarsak and Duensing. I wonder why that was? Was he hopin for more bargaining power? Or is he not planning on signing them?

  8. #8
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,964
    Like
    94
    Liked 378 Times in 195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    I found it intresting he said Trevor would get a contract but declined to answer on Swarsak and Duensing. I wonder why that was? Was he hopin for more bargaining power? Or is he not planning on signing them?
    I wouldn't sign either one of them, Swarzak is the definition of replaceable in the bullpen, and Duensing at this point is a mediocre LOOGY. With the pen being the one real strength, replacing both of those guys should be rather easy.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    159
    Like
    1
    Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
    Do what the A's do: sign a bat to platoon with Plouffe and have him only start vs. lefties.

    You could do that. That's a possibility. I'm not saying that's something that has been discussed. It could be. I'd like to think we can find guys who can play 140, 150 games. That's one of our problems. We've had very little continuity in any lineup. We've had guys bouncing all over. I'm not saying you couldn't put (Eduardo) Escobar over there. You could. Escobar's got some pop in his bat. There's a spot for him if he wants to take it. So, there's always that possibility.
    I find it kind of odd that Terry is unable to even comprehend a question involving signing a free agent. Doogie asks about signing a guy to platoon with Plouffe and somehow Terry didn't hear the "Sign Somebody" but instead heard "Play someone on your roster, maybe Escobar". This is probably just another example of how far the free agency process is from his mind when thinking about improving this team.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Double-A Wookiee of the Year's Avatar
    Posts
    132
    Like
    9
    Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Good interview. Wolfson did a good job of throwing out specific names and situations and making Ryan respond.

    I agree with twinsnorth49--the response to Doogie's comment on Lincecum was pretty telling. Sounds like Ryan might once again be surprised by how high the market will go this year. (Or hopefully, he's right and Lincecum's an isolated case. But I'd bet more on the former than the latter.)

    I've also noticed a pattern in Ryan's interviews where he makes a lot of references to "taking the phone calls" from other GMs, but he rarely says anything about making the calls. I don't know if it's a verbal tic or even intentional to keep people from knowing his priorities, but it does seem to suggest he's pretty passive on the trade market, which has been my impression.

    The other exchange I found noteworthy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfson & Ryan

    How you would classify this free-agent pitching class?
    It's OK. It'll be very competitive. There will be 25 clubs in on almost any quality starter. There's not enough to go around. We all know that. You'll probably be able to get one of them, hopefully. There's a couple guys out there that need to have their futures decided with an option and possibly a tender.
    That sounds like a reference to Ubaldo Jimenez to me (does anyone else fit that "option and possibly a tender" description?). I wonder if TR's thinking Jimenez?

  11. #11
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,496
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    66
    Liked 369 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    I found it intresting he said Trevor would get a contract but declined to answer on Swarsak and Duensing. I wonder why that was? Was he hopin for more bargaining power? Or is he not planning on signing them?
    My thought is it means that both could be trade possibilities and he doesn't want to give away too much. If he says, "No, we're going to non-tender them." why would anyone trade for them? I'm more surprised with his response about Plouffe, not that it is a surprise (it's obvious to tender him), just that he actually said it.

  12. #12
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,496
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    66
    Liked 369 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Well, the Giants overwhelmed Lincecum. I think that contract will affect the market.
    I don't know about that. We say that every year when a guy signs early. Everyone tries to portray that as the market. I don't necessarily agree with that. That's one instance. There will be a couple (contracts) that come into play this winter, or fall, and we will all grasp some. But that doesn't mean it sets the market.


    Usually hate to play the cyncic but it sounds more to me like he's hoping it doesn't set the market, because he won't be in it if it does. Not that I would have advocted signing Lincecum to that deal but if that's what it takes for him, it's not going to get much better.


    I think he's right though. There are always these early signings and people gasp around wondering if it'll set the market, but then things come back down. Even with the economic gain (the $25M in additional revenues - of which $13M would equal about 52%, I don't think that Lincecum sets it. It was a crazy deal by the Giants, and teams know it.

  13. #13
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,496
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    66
    Liked 369 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Great interview. He's making himself accessible. I appreciate that.

    This part was interesting to me:

    Why not hire some of their guys? Find their No. 6 or 7 guy and make him the No.4 guy under you?
    Why don't I just copy what they're doing? I have a lot of trust in our guys. We'll get this thing squared up.
    I found this to be a strange question. First, this isn't realistic. How would TR know who the #6 stat guy is for the Rays? Who would know that? I get it. Bring in an outside voice, but there is more than one way to win and develop.

  14. #14
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,675
    Like
    302
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiee of the Year View Post
    I don't know if it's a verbal tic or even intentional to keep people from knowing his priorities, but it does seem to suggest he's pretty passive on the trade market, which has been my impression.
    Has Ryan been passive on the trade market? In the two years he's been back, he's traded Slowey, Liriano, Valencia, Span, Revere, Butera and Morneau. Not sure if that's a passive trade pattern.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    267
    Like
    19
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I wouldn't sign either one of them, Swarzak is the definition of replaceable in the bullpen, and Duensing at this point is a mediocre LOOGY. With the pen being the one real strength, replacing both of those guys should be rather easy.
    I agree about Duensing. I think there will be cheaper equal options on the market. Swarzak I would keep in the same role however, because he is projected at 800k. I would NOT under any circumstances start him though.

  16. #16
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,167
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    36
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I think he's right though. There are always these early signings and people gasp around wondering if it'll set the market, but then things come back down. Even with the economic gain (the $25M in additional revenues - of which $13M would equal about 52%, I don't think that Lincecum sets it. It was a crazy deal by the Giants, and teams know it.
    Here is how the 52% (of the Twins' revenue going into payroll) should look like:

    2013 Revenue: $215M plus that $25M = $240 M.
    52% of that is $125 M.
    The Twins are in the hook for around $60 M (including arbitration $ for Duensing, Swarzak and Plouffe)

    this leaves Ryan $65 M to play with

    65 not 15.

    Lots one can do with $65 Million in a year, but you got to commit that 52% of revenues to payroll. I am convinced that if the Twins spend that $ wisely, they could be contending in 2014. However, I am almost convinced that Ryan does not know how to do this.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  17. #17
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,588
    Like
    62
    Liked 367 Times in 230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiee of the Year View Post
    I've also noticed a pattern in Ryan's interviews where he makes a lot of references to "taking the phone calls" from other GMs, but he rarely says anything about making the calls. I don't know if it's a verbal tic or even intentional to keep people from knowing his priorities, but it does seem to suggest he's pretty passive on the trade market, which has been my impression.
    No, I think you are correct. Ryan stated in an interview near the trade deadline that he doesn't initiate any trades, but instead he waits for others to call him. I'm sure he thinks that gives him the upper hand in negotiations and it may, but I agree it's too passive and he probably misses out on other valuable conversations.

  18. #18
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I found this to be a strange question. First, this isn't realistic. How would TR know who the #6 stat guy is for the Rays? Who would know that? I get it. Bring in an outside voice, but there is more than one way to win and develop.
    I respect you a lot, Seth, but you know this wasn't about hiring "the number 6 guy". His answer was "I won't bring in outside guys".
    Lighten up Francis....

  19. #19
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,675
    Like
    302
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I respect you a lot, Seth, but you know this wasn't about hiring "the number 6 guy". His answer was "I won't bring in outside guys".
    Actually, I think his answer was "we're smart enough to fix this."

  20. #20
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Actually, I think his answer was "we're smart enough to fix this."
    Same answer, different sides of the coin.
    Lighten up Francis....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.