Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Alex Wimmers

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries

Alex Wimmers

What kind of expectations does everyone have for Alex Wimmers in 2014? I keep holding onto hope. After a lost season due to Tommy John recovery in 2013, what can we expect in 2014; should we just be happy if he makes it through the season healthy? Going into his age 25 season he will have only thrown 4.1 innings at AA.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 745 Times in 461 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Truth be told, not much. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he can get his name back into prospect status, but he's been with the org for 4 years now and injured most of it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 193 Times in 119 Posts
    I have no expectations. Anything he gives us would be a bonus. Too bad, I didn't much like the pick at the time (I wanted them to play hardball with Ranuado or get an additional pick the next year) but he was supposed to be a quick to the majors guy which we really could've used.

The 2011 draft is pretty interesting - lot of talent fell - Ranuado, Olt, Biddle, Lee, Yelich, Walker, Castellenos. Some of it was for signing bonuses. Sale dropped to #13, Matt Harvey went #7. Royals really made a mistake at #4 (it was a top 3 draft) - took a guy with a perceived high floor but low ceiling in Colon and passed on some pretty good arms. Ouch.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would expect him to start at AA and so what happens. I have a lot of hope for him but the expectations are quite low. If he does well I could see him promote after mayb 15 starts but dont see him sniffing the big club in 2014.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I have no expectations. Anything he gives us would be a bonus. Too bad, I didn't much like the pick at the time (I wanted them to play hardball with Ranuado or get an additional pick the next year) but he was supposed to be a quick to the majors guy which we really could've used.

The 2011 draft is pretty interesting - lot of talent fell - Ranuado, Olt, Biddle, Lee, Yelich, Walker, Castellenos. Some of it was for signing bonuses. Sale dropped to #13, Matt Harvey went #7. Royals really made a mistake at #4 (it was a top 3 draft) - took a guy with a perceived high floor but low ceiling in Colon and passed on some pretty good arms. Ouch.
    With the money now slotted it could have been a way different draft. The Red Sox would not have got Ranuado.
    Also of note, the Rays drafted the wrong Sale, not that they had a chance for Chris at the time
    Last edited by old nurse; 10-28-2013 at 06:10 PM.