Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 113

Thread: Larry Corrigan Returns to the Twins

  1. #41
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    631
    Like
    12
    Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    You'll have to find that one because I don't remember any reference to Goin when it came to signing Correia, quite the opposite in fact. I do remeber Ryan saying his SCOUTS came back and said he was better then what his numbers:

    Mackey: Low-risk or not, Twins are taking philosophical gambles | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Twins
    Ryan also said that his scouts know statistics.

  2. #42
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    498
    Like
    2
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    Ryan also said that his scouts know statistics.
    There is no evidence that his scouts understand statistics beyond the old-time basics. Over and over again reflexive Twins/TR defenders demand 'proof' of this or that observation regarding how old school the Twins are (even though this is readily apparent and openly acknowledged by the organization).

    But when TR says "my scouts know stats" or that there are these various unnamed front office people (in addition to Goin), the requirement for evidence goes out the window. We are supposed to take the Twins' word that, along the path to 'getting back to how [they] used to do it', they've also kept up with developments in the game.

    To expand on 'mike wants wins' great post: even focusing on particular stats like FIP is a straw man. The forward-thinking organizations develop their own tools and processes. The issue isn't numbers at all, but rather the fundamental approach to management. Teams like Boston, St. Louis, etc., are run like a business - always looking for an edge, incorporating data into their decision making, and so forth.

    The Twins approach is obviously very different - something that is rationally undeniable as a result of Ryan's own comments (and others with the organization). They stick to set 'philosophies' and say so proudly. These philosophies are meaningless platitudes about 'playing the right way' and having starters that 'pitch deep into games' (as if anyone would want otherwise), among the slew that are regularly thrown out by the org.

    The Twins are a 20th century entity competing in the 21st century. It's a losing proposition.

  3. #43
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,866
    Like
    184
    Liked 671 Times in 380 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    What moves has Ryan done that you think show he doesn't know what he's doing? What moves should he have done? Shouldn't that be the barometer instead of him using language you like?
    When did I ever say I don't think he knows what he's doing? I think he's let himself get behind the times and overconfident in his own way. Even brilliant sports minds have to be willing to change with time. He hasn't.

    The biggest measure of what he has or has not done well is that he was handed a godawful team and has done virtually nothing to improve it in any meaningful way. (Other than the draft, but everyone gets to draft and we won't know the ultimate value of those moves for some time) He's had an incredibly low bar to improve the team and still failed for two offseasons.

    And let's put something to bed that is a total double standard on this forum: The call for specifics is silly. If I accuse the team of failing to be aggressive in negotiations, I hear "well yeah, but you don't know what went on in that room". The same works in reverse. I don't know how many offers were on the table that he passed on that would've helped, but he didn't pull the trigger. Or agents or GMs that approached him with deals I'd have loved, but he hated.

    So as specific as you're going to get from me is that he's had a very low bar to jump and he's failed miserably at it by pretty much every objective and subjective measure you can find.

  4. #44
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    631
    Like
    12
    Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    There is no evidence that his scouts understand statistics beyond the old-time basics. Over and over again reflexive Twins/TR defenders demand 'proof' of this or that observation regarding how old school the Twins are (even though this is readily apparent and openly acknowledged by the organization).

    But when TR says "my scouts know stats" or that there are these various unnamed front office people (in addition to Goin), the requirement for evidence goes out the window. We are supposed to take the Twins' word that, along the path to 'getting back to how [they] used to do it', they've also kept up with developments in the game.

    To expand on 'mike wants wins' great post: even focusing on particular stats like FIP is a straw man. The forward-thinking organizations develop their own tools and processes. The issue isn't numbers at all, but rather the fundamental approach to management. Teams like Boston, St. Louis, etc., are run like a business - always looking for an edge, incorporating data into their decision making, and so forth.

    The Twins approach is obviously very different - something that is rationally undeniable as a result of Ryan's own comments (and others with the organization). They stick to set 'philosophies' and say so proudly. These philosophies are meaningless platitudes about 'playing the right way' and having starters that 'pitch deep into games' (as if anyone would want otherwise), among the slew that are regularly thrown out by the org.

    The Twins are a 20th century entity competing in the 21st century. It's a losing proposition.
    Complaining of a strawman argument with conjecture about how you think various front offices are run. Every organization has philosophies and ways they think the game should be played. They try to get players to fit that mold. Yes Ryan talks about things in global terms that you call meaningless platitudes. He doesn't say squat about how he got to that point of thinking. The Twins do not talk about how they make decisions. That leaves people to decide what they want to think without a basis. Ryan signed Willingham. Parker once wrote an article on how Willingham was built for Target Field just after he was signed. You can think the Twins were dumb and lucky with Willingham in 2012 or you can think they looked at his game and saw a fit for the home field. People are going to believe what they want.

  5. #45
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Posts
    723
    Like
    121
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    There is no evidence that his scouts understand statistics beyond the old-time basics. Over and over again reflexive Twins/TR defenders demand 'proof' of this or that observation regarding how old school the Twins are (even though this is readily apparent and openly acknowledged by the organization).

    But when TR says "my scouts know stats" or that there are these various unnamed front office people (in addition to Goin), the requirement for evidence goes out the window. We are supposed to take the Twins' word that, along the path to 'getting back to how [they] used to do it', they've also kept up with developments in the game.

    To expand on 'mike wants wins' great post: even focusing on particular stats like FIP is a straw man. The forward-thinking organizations develop their own tools and processes. The issue isn't numbers at all, but rather the fundamental approach to management. Teams like Boston, St. Louis, etc., are run like a business - always looking for an edge, incorporating data into their decision making, and so forth.

    The Twins approach is obviously very different - something that is rationally undeniable as a result of Ryan's own comments (and others with the organization). They stick to set 'philosophies' and say so proudly. These philosophies are meaningless platitudes about 'playing the right way' and having starters that 'pitch deep into games' (as if anyone would want otherwise), among the slew that are regularly thrown out by the org.

    The Twins are a 20th century entity competing in the 21st century. It's a losing proposition.

    No business in the world publishes it's innermost, "nuts and bolts" research and methodology for the public and other businesses to pick apart and steal. Walmart's slogan and mission statement is "We save you money so you can live better." Do you think the leaders of a world-class, multi-billion dollar company truly don't have thousands of hours in cutting edge business research on the books to help them run it? Of course they do. Then why do we only get a simple platitude? Because that's for the public to see.
    Do you honestly expect to see TR give a press conference and break down the methodology, planning, and strategy he used for a specific transaction? Why, so the guy he fleeced out of a prospect for Drew Butera can look back and see exactly how and why he was fleeced and not repeat he mistake? Meaningless platitudes are all you are SUPPOSED to get.

  6. #46
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    498
    Like
    2
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    No business in the world publishes it's innermost, "nuts and bolts" research and methodology for the public and other businesses to pick apart and steal. Walmart's slogan and mission statement is "We save you money so you can live better." Do you think the leaders of a world-class, multi-billion dollar company truly don't have thousands of hours in cutting edge business research on the books to help them run it? Of course they do. Then why do we only get a simple platitude? Because that's for the public to see.
    Do you honestly expect to see TR give a press conference and break down the methodology, planning, and strategy he used for a specific transaction? Why, so the guy he fleeced out of a prospect for Drew Butera can look back and see exactly how and why he was fleeced and not repeat he mistake? Meaningless platitudes are all you are SUPPOSED to get.
    Except Ryan's actions indicate that he does believe them, and that his comments are not just a deflection from discussing sensitive analytic processes.

    Even if they were, though, that leaves a question mark for the Twins' actual strategy, and a pile of losses as the result. The team has underachieved by Ryan's own admission. That compares poorly to the rigorous approach and on-field successes of Beane, Mozeliak, Friedman, Daniels, etc.

  7. #47
    Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Posts
    1,743
    Like
    58
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoPilgrim View Post
    If the results are good, does it really matter what approach he takes?
    Yes.

    The man who knows that gravity is the cause of objects falling to earth surely has better explanatory and predictive power than the man who believes that objects fall to earth because those objects have more of the earth element in them than other elements like fire and wind.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

  8. #48
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    645
    Like
    5
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    No business in the world publishes it's innermost, "nuts and bolts" research and methodology for the public and other businesses to pick apart and steal. Walmart's slogan and mission statement is "We save you money so you can live better." Do you think the leaders of a world-class, multi-billion dollar company truly don't have thousands of hours in cutting edge business research on the books to help them run it? Of course they do. Then why do we only get a simple platitude? Because that's for the public to see.
    I think you will run into trouble when you try to extrapolate business lessons into sports. Its a unique industry whose product isn't wins, players, or even the brand. The only product is the location of the business. If a sport team moves, the customerbase doesn't follow the brand or players, their customers gather in public and burn their jerseys. So comparing how Walmart runs their company to the Twins probably isn't a good comparision.
    A better comparison is taking what we know about the Rays, A's, Cardinals, Yankees, Boston & others and using that metric to judge the Twins, their methodology and their openness.


  9. #49
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,178
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    36
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Interesting.

    And very interesting comments. Gotta love the reactionary reaction to the Twins taking 2 steps back:

    a. the Twins can do no wrong no matter what; need better food and more C&W acts at Target Field. And baseball in Minny is good.
    b. bring back the old school when Ryan was Merlin, that will solve the problem (and Smith sucked even though the Twins had better record with him as a GM than with Ryan, because he does not get the spinning of the ball)
    c. Scouts rock. Even though the Twins' MLB advance scouts kinda suck (see: results)
    d. 2011 was all Smith's fault. 2012 was Jerry's and Stelly's. 2013: not enough old scouts. Go get them. Now. Lazarus too. And Molitor. That will fix it
    e. FIP? what FIP? F IP.
    f. I got "access" now. I shalt not say anything bad about the Twins because my perceived access might be revoked.
    Last edited by Thrylos; 10-29-2013 at 08:01 PM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    No business in the world publishes it's innermost, "nuts and bolts" research and methodology for the public and other businesses to pick apart and steal. Walmart's slogan and mission statement is "We save you money so you can live better." Do you think the leaders of a world-class, multi-billion dollar company truly don't have thousands of hours in cutting edge business research on the books to help them run it? Of course they do. Then why do we only get a simple platitude? Because that's for the public to see.
    Do you honestly expect to see TR give a press conference and break down the methodology, planning, and strategy he used for a specific transaction? Why, so the guy he fleeced out of a prospect for Drew Butera can look back and see exactly how and why he was fleeced and not repeat he mistake? Meaningless platitudes are all you are SUPPOSED to get.
    When the organizations you reference want an assessment or second opinion on their strategies and methodologies, they hire an outside consultant. Many times, the largest most successful companies are as likely as a struggling firm to engage an outside firm. In that capacity, I have interviewed and/or interacted with hundreds or even thousands of employees over the years. It is very common for them to make assumptions based on hear say and a myriad of other unreliable and/or incomplete information. Of course, they also don't know how the management team is fitting together all of the strategies.

    Based on the information available, my gut tells me some of the concerns voiced here might be legit. My experience tells me that we don't have nearly enough information to conclude anything with any certainty.

    What I really want to know is what has changed in the drafting and development process in the past few years. I think we can all agree that this is the most important component in putting a winning team on the field. They have completely turned around the minor leauge system. What did they change? Is it sustainable? We don't know and probably won't anytime soon. Should we be praising or condeming the direction. I am not sure. Those who are absolutely certain must have got their MBA at a much better school.
    Last edited by Major Leauge Ready; 10-29-2013 at 09:20 PM.

  11. #51
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,693
    Like
    310
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    When did I ever say I don't think he knows what he's doing? I think he's let himself get behind the times and overconfident in his own way. Even brilliant sports minds have to be willing to change with time. He hasn't.

    The biggest measure of what he has or has not done well is that he was handed a godawful team and has done virtually nothing to improve it in any meaningful way. (Other than the draft, but everyone gets to draft and we won't know the ultimate value of those moves for some time) He's had an incredibly low bar to improve the team and still failed for two offseasons.

    And let's put something to bed that is a total double standard on this forum: The call for specifics is silly. If I accuse the team of failing to be aggressive in negotiations, I hear "well yeah, but you don't know what went on in that room". The same works in reverse. I don't know how many offers were on the table that he passed on that would've helped, but he didn't pull the trigger. Or agents or GMs that approached him with deals I'd have loved, but he hated.

    So as specific as you're going to get from me is that he's had a very low bar to jump and he's failed miserably at it by pretty much every objective and subjective measure you can find.
    Well, I guess it's a general impasse. You can't finger things that should've been done other than "it's a low bar." Even ignoring the draft (since all teams get one, I guess?) I think the trades, waiver claims, promotions, and rule v picks show that he hasn't fallen behind the times.

    I think it's ridiculous for people to clamor for improvement without specifics. What did you want? 91 losses? Would that clear your bar? Sign some vets and lose 86 games and draft 10th? It makes no sense to say suggest, as you are seem to be doing, that improvement is only shown by the ML teams record. The Twins are rebuilding. They need to get the young guys playing time. Ryan's been the GM for two years. Cubs and Astros have been rebuilding longer and losing more. Are their GMs failing?

  12. #52

    Twins & stats

    I think it's funny people know what stats we use or that we don't have any predictive stats when we don't talk about it. How do you know?

  13. #53
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,866
    Like
    184
    Liked 671 Times in 380 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Well, I guess it's a general impasse. You can't finger things that should've been done other than "it's a low bar." Even ignoring the draft (since all teams get one, I guess?) I think the trades, waiver claims, promotions, and rule v picks show that he hasn't fallen behind the times.
    How about...field a pitching staff that isn't historically awful? If he was as much on the ball as you seem to think, he'd have done more to improve an awful team. His poor drafts are largely responsible for this lack of talent. He's added very few long-term assets to the club in two years (other than through the draft), all short-term filler with one or two exceptions.

    I can't give credit for good drafting until the results hit the field. Prospects are just that, prospects. All the farm top rankings in the world don't win baseball games and are no assurance of wins in the future. It's a complete farce to sight that as a positive at this point.

    As for "specifics" they are still hypotheticals. We could've signed McCarthy and he would've been great for us. Or Joe Saunders. Or there could've been a better offer for Revere. I fail to see how that is a productive exercise. It boils down to having a low bar to jump and having utterly failed to do so.

    Would that clear your bar?
    Houston's GM has managed to turn their farm around and totally restructure the organization. Epstein did the same in Chicago. If Ryan came in, changed the culture, changed the organization in significant ways - he'd have a free pass from me. Instead, he's come in content to keep the engine that has become a total failure chugging away.

  14. #54
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,620
    Like
    70
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    There is plenty of evidence they have a statistical analysis department. Is it so hard to believe they could be right?
    Your reply had nothing to do with my post, no one's debating they have at least a one person stats department.

    I think everyone can agree they have Jack Goin and at least one person who may or may not have been an intern in their employ. That does not prove that they used them to positively evaluate Kevin Correia. The previous poster tried to imply that Jack Goin recommend him even though Ryan's own words say it was the scouts who recommended Correia despite his numbers.

  15. #55
    Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Posts
    2,787
    Like
    667
    Liked 385 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Goin View Post
    I think it's funny people know what stats we use or that we don't have any predictive stats when we don't talk about it. How do you know?
    Could you elaborate? If you're not using FIP or SIERA or some three true outcome based stat, then what have you found to be better predictors?

  16. #56
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,620
    Like
    70
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Goin View Post
    I think it's funny people know what stats we use or that we don't have any predictive stats when we don't talk about it. How do you know?
    I don't think (m)any folks here think they know what stats the front office uses. Simply put, due to past acquisitions and a reluctance to play a more modern version of baseball on the field and off, some of us don't think Terry Ryan puts enough reliance on the many statistics available. At least on the free agent side, some of us would prefer a stronger use of statistics than scouting.

  17. #57
    Head Moderator MVP glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    5,081
    Like
    4,537
    Liked 722 Times in 383 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Goin View Post
    I think it's funny people know what stats we use or that we don't have any predictive stats when we don't talk about it. How do you know?
    Attention fellow TD members. We have verified that this post is from the actual Jack Goin, not an impostor. Please join me in welcoming Jack to TD.

    I predict that if we respectfully invite Jack to have a friendly dialog, we may be rewarded with information that quenches our thirst. Obviously, Jack cannot give us any trade secrets, but maybe he could provide some tidbits that allay the concerns of those of us who feel that stats are not being used in an optimal manner.

  18. #58
    Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,951
    Like
    257
    Liked 205 Times in 115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Goin View Post
    I think it's funny people know what stats we use or that we don't have any predictive stats when we don't talk about it. How do you know?
    Hi, Jack, welcome!

    I imagine what statistics/analytics (and the given weight to such metrics) the team uses is a secret formula of the trade, so, I hope, no one here expects some verification on what you use and how much you use it. But rather, so many of us worry that the Twins are intransigent against innovative analytical approaches. What can you say that would put to bed such worries without compromising your competitive advantage? Again, thanks for checking in.

  19. #59
    Head Moderator MVP glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    5,081
    Like
    4,537
    Liked 722 Times in 383 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Yeah, great idea but I'm going say the respectfully part might be hard for some.
    This is an opportunity for us to possibly obtain insight from someone who knows a lot of things that some of us endlessly speculate about. We moderators are going to be watching this thread more than the average thread and people who cannot follow the rules will lose their posting privileges for an appropriate amount of time.

    C'mon people. Let's be nice. Jack was nice enough to become a TD member and post here. If we are respectful, maybe he will tell us about some things that we would love to hear about.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Attention fellow TD members. We have verified that this post is from the actual Jack Goin, not an impostor. Please join me in welcoming Jack to TD.

    I predict that if we respectfully invite Jack to have a friendly dialog, we may be rewarded with information that quenches our thirst. Obviously, Jack cannot give us any trade secrets, but maybe he could provide some tidbits that allay the concerns of those of us who feel that stats are not being used in an optimal manner.
    Thanks glunn. Not really sure what, if any, insights I can provide. I was reading the comments for some reason and felt the need to say something. I know I'm probably walking into a hornets nest by getting on here but oh well. Maybe this can turn into something fun.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.