Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 blueprint

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Sign Ubaldo, Sign Hughes. Sign Johan.

Sign Corey Hart. Trade for A-Rod.
    Haha. I think the Yankees would take a letter saying "congratulations, you got rid of A-Rod" and they would pay the salary.

Blog Entries
    Ultimately, a platoon with Parmelee and Plouffe shouldn't be out of the question. I guess that would mean Hicks in left after Buxton arrives. That's not terrible given the range and a big left field.

I am still not totally convinced that Parmelee doesn't have Lyle Overbay type potential.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Oops. That is a fair point and an omission--I came up with the second scenario first and then didn't make the correction in the first one. Man, Deduno makes me think about trading Correia more and more. But, in this case, Deduno would be the fifth starter. I don't know what to do with Diamond and Worley. Worley isn't good, but good lord he was just terrible last year.
    I think the last couple of seasons have made it brutally clear that you cannot have too many solid but unspectacular arms.

Blog Entries
    And this is weird for me to say such things about Parmelee given that I said last year and the year before that he was a bench player on a good team. This isn't a good team though.

Ultimately:

Hicks, RF
    Mauer, 1B (come on)
    Buxton, CF
    Sano, 3B
    Arcia, DH
    Dozier, 2B
    Rosario, LF primarily (for whatever time he spends with the Twins in 2014)
    Pinto, C
    Florimon, SS

Is pretty exciting even if there are going to be growing pains. I would rather get some of those growing pains out in 2014 and not wait for 2015.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Ultimately, a platoon with Parmelee and Plouffe shouldn't be out of the question. I guess that would mean Hicks in left after Buxton arrives. That's not terrible given the range and a big left field.

I am still not totally convinced that Parmelee doesn't have Lyle Overbay type potential.
    I don't think people have much of a problem with that. The problem is that there are six marginal hitters in the lineup. In addition to that two of the three good hitters (dozier and Arcia) could slump. It could be the worst lineup in baseball.

Senior Member Double-A Wookiee of the Year's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like it--these are the types of moves the Twins should be making. I don't know that I'd trade Willingham in the offseason--his value's so low right now, I'd rather gamble on a bounceback--but I certainly won't be upset if that sort of wheeling and dealing happens this offseason.

In fact, my biggest criticism is that you have Hicks starting the year for the Twins. I'd give him some time to figure it out in AAA before throwing him into the big league spotlight again, but you can just slide Presley over to CF and use Arcia/Willingham/Parmelee in the corners.

Quote Originally Posted by Reider View Post
    So you think it's realistic that TR will sign two FA pitchers that cost more than 4 or 5 $million/year? That's awesome. After penny pinching on Pelfrey and Correia last year when there were other options out there, I really hope he opens the wallet a bit more this year.
    With Morneau ($14M) off the books, I would hope so. Plus Blackburn ($5.5M), Carroll ($3.75M), and the aforementioned Pelfrey ($4M).

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    And this is weird for me to say such things about Parmelee given that I said last year and the year before that he was a bench player on a good team. This isn't a good team though.

Ultimately:

Hicks, RF
    Mauer, 1B (come on)
    Buxton, CF
    Sano, 3B
    Arcia, DH
    Dozier, 2B
    Rosario, LF primarily (for whatever time he spends with the Twins in 2014)
    Pinto, C
    Florimon, SS

Is pretty exciting even if there are going to be growing pains. I would rather get some of those growing pains out in 2014 and not wait for 2015.
    Agreed! That outfield will catch everything and if they struggle at least we are watching those with a future try to figure it out vs older guys who will not be around for long. Pinto, Buxton, Hicks, Arcia, Sano, and Rosario have to play.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
    If Hicks makes the 25 man to begin the year, I quit. If he's promoted from AAA with anything less than a .700 OPS, I quit.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Liked 317 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How many games will these teams win; enough to challenge Detroit for the division or get a wild-card spot? Will they move deep into the post-season?

if the answer to the first one is no, I'd rather have them look for 2015 and beyond. Capuano will be 36 years old. He is on the decline phase. Even if the Twins decide (*) to not complete in 2014, they can sign younger FAs (like Hughes) who will be part of a potential future competitive team. A Capuano signing will be lots like the Correia signing.

(*) Decide because the Twins have the $ to spend and be competitive:
    2013 Revenue: $215 million; 2014 broadcasting $: $35 million = $250 million
    (promised) 52% of that is $130 million. Actual projected as is spend = $60 million (with arbitration awards).

Net left to spend: $70 Million.

$70 million plus most of this pen, plus Mauer, Arcia, Dozier and a few others as a core (and I don't even mind Willingham or Plouffe as platoon DH) can build a champion.

But are the Twins willing to do it? Does this front office actually have a. the guts and b. the talent to do it?

Not sure there...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Good stuff, but I have a feeling that after last season Nick Martinez is going to find himself higher than 15-20 in the Rangers organization which will probably price him out of Doumit's value.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Rotation:
    1. Sign Kazmir 3/$35-40M
    2. Sign Hughes or Feldman @ 2/$20M
    3. Deduno
    4. Correia
    5. Gibson
    -----------
    Diamond/Worley for competition/injury

Lineup:
    CF Presley/Hicks (placeholders for Buxton)
    2B Dozier
    1B Mauer
    RF Sign Nelson Cruz 2/$26M
    LF Arcia
    DH Willingham
    3B Plouffe (placeholder for Sano)
    C Pinto
    SS Florimon

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    For all the pitching talk, a few of you made some very good points in regards to the lineup being awful.

Willingham (LF), Doumit (DH), 1B and 3B are all positions where you must have good hitters. I understand Florimon at SS, because his defense really is very good. I can live with that. Dozier is solid, not great at 2B. He's definitely not a problem area.

But going into the season with only Parmalee, Colabello and Plouffe as the 1B and 3B options is asking for a poor lineup. At least Willingham and Doumit have had multiple strong seasons and could bounce back. Outside of Plouffe's one month a few years back, none of these three have done anything to deserve having the job handed to them. Sano is on his way, so don't splurge in FA. But 1B is a huge need area and needs to be addressed to make this lineup at all productive again.

Arcia will improve. Hicks needs to earn his promotion from AAA. I wouldn't be opposed to signing an OF either.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Also, I think Worley will earn a rotation spot in ST. He was a good pitcher with the Phillies and for whatever reason the wheels came flying off this year. He'll bounce back. Scott Diamond? not so much.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post

$70 million plus most of this pen, plus Mauer, Arcia, Dozier and a few others as a core (and I don't even mind Willingham or Plouffe as platoon DH) can build a champion.

But are the Twins willing to do it? Does this front office actually have a. the guts and b. the talent to do it?
    It's reasonable to doubt what they will do. I think an important thing to consider when comparing this year's offseason to every other one in Twins management' history, is their long term financial flexibility. They have never spent wildly on the free agent market, but they have always had contracts and upcoming contract concerns that go a few years in the future.

They've got $49 committed for 2014, and $27 million committed for 2015 and less for 2016. There will be some arbitration raises, but not really all that much, unless a couple of poor starting pitchers suddenly become awesome. It is practically impossible for the Twins to get close to bumping up against their financial limits without adding $50+ million/yr in contracts for those next 3 years. I'm not sure they've ever had half that much available for that long before. They can spend a big chunk without handcuffing themselves.

My plan would involve bringing in a few starting pitchers, and one good offensive player.....with a couple of those being medium length contracts. That would give them 2 players to build with for the future but keeping some financial flexibility for a signing next year or a trade later if they somehow are competitive sooner:

Sign Mike Morse - OF/1b/DH. He can rotate around to keep everyone in the lineup. He's a good clubhouse guy, which seems like they've be eager to add. Since Willingham & Doumit would be FAs after 2014, they could even sign him for multiple years without creating any obvious issues. Best guess: 3 yrs, $16 million
    Trade for Wandy Rodriguez - SP. He's really good and only guaranteed one year, but could earn a qualifying offer or extension or be traded if he stays healthy. I'd guess Pittsburgh would want some cheap pitching depth or offense, so I'd offer someone like Worley, Diamond, Albers, or Hendriks for him and some cash. Best guess: 1 yr, $12 million, trade for Worley.
    Sign Ricky Nolasco - SP 4 yrs, 52 million. I think he's got a good chance of having a sub-4 ERA for the Twins. There are a bunch of other FA starters that would fit this role too. Basically, this is slot for "sign the best starter you can reasonable get to a mid-term deal" , and he's the name I came up with and a generous enough offer that he'd almost certainly sign.
    Sign Jeff Neiman - SP -1 yr 2million. He's been injured a ton, but he's was great when he's pitched, and would have another year of arbitration available in 2015.

Likely Roster:
    Mauer, Pinto, Doumit, Morse, Dozier, Florimon, Plouffe, Arcia, Pressley, Willingham, Mastroianni, Parmalee, Escobar. That seems like an offense with some potential and some depth and some platoon options....Parmalee stays because he is out of options and can pinch hit for Plouffe. (Collabello, Herman, or Romero would be the next guys up, especially if Arcia or Pinto end up at AAA...and Sano of course would the next player for force his way on the team).
    Rodriguez, Nolasco, Correia, Deduno, Gibson (Neiman/Hendriks/Diamond/Albers/Myers)
    Perkins, Burton, Fein, Duensing, Theilbar, Swarzak, Hendriks (Pressly, Tonkin, Ibarra, Achter, Hernande,).

Payroll stays about the same as this year, but the rotation is notably better, and Arcia, Pinto, & Sano have a chance to push the offense to be better too. For 2015, Willingham & Doumit are Free agents, but Buxton, Sano, Arcia and Pinto are likely on the team, and Parmalee, Plouffe, Pressley, etc fill could where needed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    How many games will these teams win; enough to challenge Detroit for the division or get a wild-card spot? Will they move deep into the post-season?

if the answer to the first one is no, I'd rather have them look for 2015 and beyond. Capuano will be 36 years old. He is on the decline phase. Even if the Twins decide (*) to not complete in 2014, they can sign younger FAs (like Hughes) who will be part of a potential future competitive team. A Capuano signing will be lots like the Correia signing.

(*) Decide because the Twins have the $ to spend and be competitive:
    2013 Revenue: $215 million; 2014 broadcasting $: $35 million = $250 million
    (promised) 52% of that is $130 million. Actual projected as is spend = $60 million (with arbitration awards).

Not sure there...
    So how do you successfully spend $70 million if that is the agenda (I said if I were the GM, no the owner)?

There are 29 other teams competing. It seems difficult to throw that kind of money out unless you have LeBron-Bosh-Wade kind of collusion. For $70 million I guess you can get Santana and Jimenez, and then Ellsbury or Choo plus Morales.

But really? How likely is that unless they all sat down together and were convinced that *together* they make the Twins viable.

Anyway, I see zero possibility of this team contending for the playoffs. That isn't the point. The point is to move toward 2015.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsajsf View Post
    Rotation:
    1. Sign Kazmir 3/$35-40M
    2. Sign Hughes or Feldman @ 2/$20M
    3. Deduno
    4. Correia
    5. Gibson
    -----------
    Diamond/Worley for competition/injury

Lineup:
    CF Presley/Hicks (placeholders for Buxton)
    2B Dozier
    1B Mauer
    RF Sign Nelson Cruz 2/$26M
    LF Arcia
    DH Willingham
    3B Plouffe (placeholder for Sano)
    C Pinto
    SS Florimon
    Nelson Cruz will not be had for 2 and 26, nor will Hughes for 2 and 20. Feldman, yes. Also, Nelson Cruz is an abomination in the field. FYI.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
    If Hicks makes the 25 man to begin the year, I quit. If he's promoted from AAA with anything less than a .700 OPS, I quit.
    So, is *anyone* going to ever answer my question? Name another player who skipped AAA and then was asked to be the leadoff hitter? Also, Hick's OPS after April is about .700.

WHY waste any more time with filler? Presley in CF and Willingham in left? That's the plan?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    For all the pitching talk, a few of you made some very good points in regards to the lineup being awful.

Willingham (LF), Doumit (DH), 1B and 3B are all positions where you must have good hitters. I understand Florimon at SS, because his defense really is very good. I can live with that. Dozier is solid, not great at 2B. He's definitely not a problem area.

But going into the season with only Parmalee, Colabello and Plouffe as the 1B and 3B options is asking for a poor lineup. At least Willingham and Doumit have had multiple strong seasons and could bounce back. Outside of Plouffe's one month a few years back, none of these three have done anything to deserve having the job handed to them. Sano is on his way, so don't splurge in FA. But 1B is a huge need area and needs to be addressed to make this lineup at all productive again.

Arcia will improve. Hicks needs to earn his promotion from AAA. I wouldn't be opposed to signing an OF either.
    If you have some sort of post 2014 plan that involves Willingham and Doumit, then go ahead. Otherwise, paying and playing declining players is obviously silly and ridiculous. Any value in return is good. And it also gives several hundred more plate appearances to players potentially in the future for the Twins? Imagine that?

I pray Ellsbury just magically appears on this roster with Tanaka magically appearing in the rotation. I think they would look good in the twins pinstripes. That's all I'm asking, please no more rumours of nishioka like players (Yoon) coming to Minnesota.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    So, is *anyone* going to ever answer my question? Name another player who skipped AAA and then was asked to be the leadoff hitter? Also, Hick's OPS after April is about .700.

WHY waste any more time with filler? Presley in CF and Willingham in left? That's the plan?
    Answer to the *question* is it was a while ago and the name escapes me.
    IIRC you didn't much care for last winter's pitcher signing yet advocate Capuano. Your question about organizational filler seems appropriate.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast