Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2014 blueprint

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks to both of you. It's more interesting, certainly.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 329 Times in 218 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Thanks to both of you. It's more interesting, certainly.
    More interesting than Nishi, to be sure. And probably for not much more money than Nishi. They still need to make a serious offer at Tanaka.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 329 Times in 218 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor0333 View Post
    I would love (LOVE) for them to go after Tanaka. Thats just not the type of move Ryan makes. The Yankees are going all in on Tanaka especially now that they believe they can get out of A-Roids salary, plus the posting fee will not count towards the salary which they are determined to get under 189Mil to reset their luxury tax %.

Yoon I can't imagine costing more than a few million for the posting fee & salary. Somewhat low/cost low/risk with some upside kind of move Ryan aalways falls back on after his sticker shock FA contract heart attacks. Messenger is in the same boat with a bit more predicitability I suppose is the best word that comes to mind.

Arcia/Hicks/Buxton is the OF of the future & nearly here. I can't see Ryan paying to get a guy out of a contract when they have guys who should be ready by mid season2014-2015.
    The Giants are reported to be kicking the tires on Balentien, so there must be a do-able "out clause" in his contract in Japan. In this scenario, Arcia could eventually move to 1B or become more full-time at DH. Balentien is still only 29, so a 3-year deal plus an option would seem to make sense in a veteran role among the rookie wave. As far as Tanaka goes, the Twins have a chance against the Yankees in the sense that they just have to win on the posting fee number, not the contract.

I know this isn't how Ryan thinks or operates and I'm not optimistic on anything but low-budget, low-risk, high-reward type signings like Yoon (and there is NO Posting Fee to acquire him), but perhaps Pohlad was serious in his public statements to stop the "embarrassment" now and open the checkbook, plus put all of $25M in the media money to work towards the payroll and not the TF debt.
    Last edited by jokin; 11-01-2013 at 10:11 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    The Giants are reported to be kicking the tires on Balentien, so there must be a do-able "out clause" in his contract in Japan. In this scenario, Arcia could eventually move to 1B or become more full-time at DH. Balentien is still only 29, so a 3-year deal plus an option would seem to make sense in a veteran role among the rookie wave. As far as Tanaka goes, the Twins have a chance against the Yankees in the sense that they just have to win on the posting fee number, not the contract.

I know this isn't how Ryan thinks or operates and I'm not optimistic on anything but low-budget, low-risk, high-reward type signings like Yoon (and there is NO Posting Fee to acquire him), but perhaps Pohlad was serious in his public statements to stop the "embarrassment" now and open the checkbook, plus put all of $25M in the media money to work towards the payroll and not the TF debt.
    I just think they would probably keep Dozier at 2B & slide Rosario back to LF over making a move on Balentine.

There are new rules on the posting system where the player can choose between the top 3 bidders, also if he is not signed the runner up team in the posting fee has a chance to sign him. So even if the Twins fork over the 60+ mill it will take to be in the top 3 what Japanese player isn't going to choose LAD, NYY, or the Texas over the Twins.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    Interesting tidbit about Nolasco/Johnson/Messenger from their shared agent.

Sosnick reps not only Johnson, but fellow free agents Ricky Nolasco and Randy Messenger. He says that the Twins seem to have interest in every member of that trio, but his "sense is they're most interested in Nolasco."

Also the Twins wouldnt have to give up their 2nd round pick to sign him either. Rumors have the Dodgers possibly looking to go all in on Tanaka & make a run at David Price could indicate they won't chase Nolasco. He would be a great signing if the Twins could get him.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Interesting tidbit about Nolasco/Johnson/Messenger from their shared agent.

Sosnick reps not only Johnson, but fellow free agents Ricky Nolasco and Randy Messenger. He says that the Twins seem to have interest in every member of that trio, but his "sense is they're most interested in Nolasco."

Also the Twins wouldnt have to give up their 2nd round pick to sign him either. Rumors have the Dodgers possibly looking to go all in on Tanaka & make a run at David Price could indicate they won't chase Nolasco. He would be a great signing if the Twins could get him.
    He is another #3 or worse starter, Twins have plenty of those.

Blog Entries
    Ulgh. I wouldn't sign Nolasco. He's extremely average. It's a slightly improved Correia but for 3 years and $42 million or more. Yikes.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    He is another #3 or worse starter, Twins have plenty of those.
    They have plenty of #5's, Im not sp sure about #3's. He is much better than Correia. I'd liken him to a durable Scott Baker, he would also instantly be the teams best SP althoiugh thats not high praise given their current crew.

Blog Entries
    Career ERA+ for Nolasco? 94.

No thanks.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    I agree, Nolasco does little for me. Speaking of Mr. Baker I wouldn't mind the Twins bringing him back. Even a 1 year deal would work for me though an option year would obviously be nice.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 132 Times in 92 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Regarding Hicks, I can' see any way that he will start 2014 in Minnesota. He was promoted to Minnesota on the basis of a strong 2012 in AA and a very good spring training. While Shane is saying his season wasn't a failure, it was assuredly below average. His 2013 wasn't a springboard for starting the season in the majors, and given his performance last spring training and subsequent poor performance, a strong spring can't be used to justify starting him in the majors. Hicks absolutely needs to perform well at Rochester before being promoted.

Blog Entries
    Ok, reality seems to indicate that Yoon is a real possibility. And, yes, Hicks is likely to start in Rochester. I don't really want for the Twins to sign some marginal AAAA player yet again, and neither do I want them to get an aging and declining veteran for the corner OF.

So maybe they don't do that and they start with Willingham-Presley-Parmelee in the OF (Arcia either in AAA or getting quite a bit of time at DH). If those walks start to drop for Willingham (because his bat is less of a threat and pitchers are aware of this now), Parmelee really doesn't improve significantly, and Presley actually achieves what could be expected of a marginal MLB player, then the team is going to get around zero WAR from the three of them while also no development for the future. That's the kind of scenario that is quite scary to me. I don't think much was actually figured out in 2013 and I don't want another similar situation in 2014. This is why I am much more willing to part with these older and replaceable players now.

By the way, I may have been onto something with Correia and the Giants. Clearly, the Twins are not going to trade the only pitcher they can be fully confident will be an actual 4th-5th starter in terms of quality. But Correia would thus fit nicely at the backend of the Giants rotation.

My answer to Shane's question would be Chuck Knoblach.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 111 Times in 67 Posts
    Nolasco is fine, as long as he's not the top guy we bring in. A lot of this offseason hinges on where they think Plouffe will play when "the mighty stick" becomes a major leaguer. I think they sort of project him (Plouffe) over to 1st base or RF, so don't expect the Twins to add any depth at those positions. Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have a Buxton, Hicks, Plouffe outfield when we win the World Series.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    Nolasco is fine, as long as he's not the top guy we bring in. A lot of this offseason hinges on where they think Plouffe will play when "the mighty stick" becomes a major leaguer. I think they sort of project him (Plouffe) over to 1st base or RF, so don't expect the Twins to add any depth at those positions. Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have a Buxton, Hicks, Plouffe outfield when we win the World Series.
    If the second best pitcher they bring in is a 3 year/$42 million or so guy then woah.

Nolasco is not close to worth that kind of money. He is basically merely Correia+

Anyway, I think you are right about Plouffe. I think giving him some time in the corner OF spots before Sano even arrives might be helpful.

And against lefties he is very good.

Blog Entries
    Knoblauch came up and batted second between Gladden and Puckett.

But that is pretty close enough.

And Chuck Knoblauch had a rookie .701 OPS . . . which is roughly what Hicks had after April.

Who'dathunk?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Knoblauch came up and batted second between Gladden and Puckett.

But that is pretty close enough.

And Chuck Knoblauch had a rookie .701 OPS . . . which is roughly what Hicks had after April.

Who'dathunk?
    So you're saying we should trade Hicks tquickly before he forgets how to throw a ball?

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,259 Times in 751 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Trade Brian Dozier & Glen Perkins to the Braves for Alex Wood & Sean Gilmartin.
    Not quite exactly, but good call nonetheless!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Not quite exactly, but good call nonetheless!
    Hahaha well Alex Wood would have looked very good as the #5 in the rotation.

20. This user likes Trevor0333's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (12-18-2013)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345