Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleveland phasing out their mascot

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts

Cleveland phasing out their mascot

SI linked to this story earlier today.
    Is Chief Wahoo Finally on the Way Out? | Chris Creamer's SportsLogos.Net News and Blog : New Logos and New Uniforms news, photos, and rumours

Posnanski also had a small column out about how offensive Chief Wahoo was but I don't have that link.

Liked 1,279 Times in 740 Posts
    Glad to hear about the Chief.

On the other hand, I'd think they could come up with something a little more stylish than that C.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good job by ownership. Wahoo needed to go away years ago and thankfully, Cleveland is doing it quietly while everyone is distracted by the horrible, awful Redskins team name.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    I realize I'm in the minority (pun not initially intended, but I'll go with it), but I don't see how logos or team names can be offensive. I can tolerate Cleveland getting rid of the logo but I would be really upset if they changed their name just like I'm upset that people are trying to force Snyder to change the Redskins nick name. There's history, tradition, and these names are meant to honor Native Americans. No one is going to pick a nick name that they're not proud of.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    I realize I'm in the minority (pun not initially intended, but I'll go with it), but I don't see how logos or team names can be offensive. I can tolerate Cleveland getting rid of the logo but I would be really upset if they changed their name just like I'm upset that people are trying to force Snyder to change the Redskins nick name. There's history, tradition, and these names are meant to honor Native Americans. No one is going to pick a nick name that they're not proud of.
    Indians is a borderline name. It's a hijacked word that was never used by Native American culture to describe themselves.

Chiefs and Braves, at least those are positions of honor within Native American culture. You can argue that those names are paying homage to the culture.

But Redskins? Nah, man. That was never a term of respect for Native American culture. It's pejorative slang for the people as a whole. How would you feel about a team called the Detroit Jigaboos? Because I can't see a difference between the two when you get right down to it.

Liked 2,283 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Good job by ownership. Wahoo needed to go away years ago and thankfully, Cleveland is doing it quietly while everyone is distracted by the horrible, awful Redskins team name.
    The Washington Redskins need to change their name to something less offensive.

The Maryland Redskins would do the trick.

Disclaimer: This was a joke... It was only a joke.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Senior Member All-Star
    The United States has a storied history of mistreatment, cultural degradation, forced assimilation and racism against Native Americans. Even names like Braves and Chiefs tend to promote the "noble savage" stereotypes of Native Americans.

ACLU of MN had a small post on this:
    Why the name the Redskins (and others like it) need to go :: ACLU of Minnesota

Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    When I was in college, I had a Creative Writing class taught by a Native American - I only had him for that one class, but he was one of my favorite professors. I suppose it had to be fall of '91 that it came up, because we talked about the Braves a lot, the Tomahawk chop (the chant and arm motion), and the whole idea of names like the Redskins and logos like Chief Wahoo, whose image he described as "the Little Black Sambo" of Native Americans.

From the perspective of someone who viewed his existence and Native American life and heritage as spiritual, these images and names were an affront to him. Even the Braves logo was not palatable to him, but Chief Wahoo offended him.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 35 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's an affront to me as a white American who believes this is a country that is serious about putting its horrible past offenses behind. The "Indian" logo of the Cleveland Baseball Club is really just a substitute for a person of color -- look at all the stereotypical features on that image. Indians don't even look like that. Might as well be the Cleveland Ni*****. Unacceptable. I will never go to a Cleveland game, not in Ohio and not in Minnesota.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    Some people always need an issue to be up in arms about. That's whats driving it. Most Native Americans have real life to worry about and don't care (as Reilly pointed out on ESPN, "Redskins" is the mascot for several schools on reservations). Chief Wahoo is more on the offensive side of things, but most of the people crying now couldn't have cared less until it became a cause celebre.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    The United States has a storied history of mistreatment, cultural degradation, forced assimilation and racism against Native Americans. Even names like Braves and Chiefs tend to promote the "noble savage" stereotypes of Native Americans.

ACLU of MN had a small post on this:
    Why the name the Redskins (and others like it) need to go :: ACLU of Minnesota
    To be clear, I'm not saying the Braves and Chiefs are okay names to use for a sports team... But at least they're not intentionally taking a dig at the culture, a la the Washington Redskins.

We start walking a fine line when every cultural name is off-limits. I'm not saying it would be a bad thing to change the Braves and Chiefs name, I actually think for the sake of decency and history it should be done, but at least an argument can be made for the validity of those names as a positive toward the culture, not a negative.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    Some people always need an issue to be up in arms about. That's whats driving it. Most Native Americans have real life to worry about and don't care (as Reilly pointed out on ESPN, "Redskins" is the mascot for several schools on reservations). Chief Wahoo is more on the offensive side of things, but most of the people crying now couldn't have cared less until it became a cause celebre.
    That line of thinking has been used before and not to good effect. When people decide that society should change racist lines of thinking, too many people say things like 'it's been like this forever and everyone's happy' or worse things.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    To be clear, I'm not saying the Braves and Chiefs are okay names to use for a sports team... But at least they're not intentionally taking a dig at the culture, a la the Washington Redskins.

We start walking a fine line when every cultural name is off-limits. I'm not saying it would be a bad thing to change the Braves and Chiefs name, I actually think for the sake of decency and history it should be done, but at least an argument can be made for the validity of those names as a positive toward the culture, not a negative.
    I understand what you were saying and didn't think you were "okay" with those names.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    And you know what? NWA is a totally legitimate name for a bunch of black dudes to call their hip hop band.

A bunch of white guys whose ancestors were slave owners? Maybe not so much.

It's the same reason "Fighting Irish" is perfectly fine as Notre Dame's mascot and nickname. I doubt we'd feel that way about it if the school was populated with Protestant English students who hated the Irish.

It's just not that hard to be decent about this and change the names of these teams. Instead, we have white establishment holding on to silly nicknames and mascots for purely selfish reasons... Who cares if the name and mascot are holdovers from an oppressive, horrible time in American history? What really matters is that my team name stays the same because I like it, damn your opinions and "insecurities".

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That line of thinking has been used before and not to good effect.
    It's been like this forever.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I got into a little argument with someone I don't know on FB about this. He ended up saying that they should put it to a vote and that the majority would still support the name.

Clearly he wasn't thinking, because clearly he set himself up for "well without that whole genocide thing, I think the numbers would be a little different."

He didn't respond.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    That line of thinking has been used before and not to good effect. When people decide that society should change racist lines of thinking, too many people say things like 'it's been like this forever and everyone's happy' or worse things.
    That's just a deflection from the fact that almost everyone now clamoring for changes was completely absent on the 'issue' before very recently. Nothing has changed to make the mascots/names more offensive.

Some of the mascots/names should be changed, but the 'outrage' over it is product of a bandwagon of people trying to assert their moral superiority. And once the low-hanging fruit is gone, the same people will gin up controversy over increasingly stupid things.

Senior Member Double-A Wookiee of the Year's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Brock, I think your views pretty much sum up my feelings on the subject. Some of these mascots, logos, and team nicknames are clearly offensive, and others are more borderline. For the sake of decency, it's probably a good idea to eventually change them all, but the clearly offensive ones are the priority.

For teams like the Braves and the Chiefs, the name itself might not be inherently offensive, but it's the iconography that accompanies it that often crosses a line. And the best way to address that is likely to remove the underlying nickname.

I've also tended to find that if I'm not sure why something's offensive, if I actually listen for the answer, I understand. Although more important than that is realizing that the legitimacy of someone's taking offense to a logo or mascot is NOT dependent on my understanding the offensiveness.

But take the Tomahawk Chop for example--I'll admit that for a while, I didn't understand why that was a problem. Then someone asked me to imagine there was a team with a Jewish mascot and when their team rallied, the fans all had a chant where they pretended to count money. Now it makes sense.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiee of the Year View Post
    Brock, I think your views pretty much sum up my feelings on the subject. Some of these mascots, logos, and team nicknames are clearly offensive, and others are more borderline. For the sake of decency, it's probably a good idea to eventually change them all, but the clearly offensive ones are the priority.

For teams like the Braves and the Chiefs, the name itself might not be inherently offensive, but it's the iconography that accompanies it that often crosses a line. And the best way to address that is likely to remove the underlying nickname.

I've also tended to find that if I'm not sure why something's offensive, if I actually listen for the answer, I understand. Although more important than that is realizing that the legitimacy of someone's taking offense to a logo or mascot is NOT dependent on my understanding the offensiveness.

But take the Tomahawk Chop for example--I'll admit that for a while, I didn't understand why that was a problem. Then someone asked me to imagine there was a team with a Jewish mascot and when their team rallied, the fans all had a chant where they pretended to count money. Now it makes sense.
    Boom. Nicely done, Wookiee.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    It's like a band aid, the longer these names are stuck on the clubs, the more painful it is to remove for those that love them. These are clearly offensive and it's really not for the majority class to determine what degree of offensiveness is acceptable.

And preemptively, before someone argues that some Native Americans aren't offended, that's even more stereotyping. The fact remains that many, if not most, are offended. How would a front office detractor feel about a front office defender speaking for everyone at Twins Daily or vice versa?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast