Thread: Baker?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

Baker?

Preparing myself to get pounded for this.....Baker? I have been reading the blue prints that have been put out like Shane's and those in the handbook. There are second-tier pitchers listed on each. One bigger acquisition and one lesser guy. Could Baker fill that spot for 2 years? He is 32. He has not had real stress on his body for 2 years. Provided that is back in shape and the arm is ready I think he would stack up well to people like Messenger, Capuana, Kazmir or Brett Anderson who have been mentioned in some plans. In 2011 he had 8.2 k/9, 2.1bb/9, and an era of 3.14 in 21 starts and 134 innings. I am not suggesting that he be the man. I am putting him in the secondary-acquisition place where the others above have been mentioned.
    Last edited by Steve Penz; 10-31-2013 at 02:19 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Tcarlic- you had E. Santana and Hughes who I think are both better than Baker which is why I did not mention your examples.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 37 Posts
    Baker's another guy who I wouldn't mind the team getting but won't be crushed if they don't. He's never really lived up to his potential - even his good seasons have been wrecked by injuries - but he can be a solid starter. Not much of an innings eater though.

If I recall, last year the Twins wanted to sign him for 2 years (the second being a team option year) and Baker resisted. He got a one year deal from the Cubs to build up his value. Since he spent most of the year on the DL, I suspect he'd probably want another one year deal and hope to hit it big. I think he'd like to stay in Chicago or the NL.

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My understanding with Baker was that he had virtually no interest in rejoining the Twins. Just does not want to be here. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong but I remember hearing that somewhere.

I liked Baker when he was here and 32 isn't too old. However, if he doesn't want to play for the Twins, then so be it. If the Twins sign two good / healthy SP's, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if we brought him in, even on a one year contract, just to give him another chance. I'm not sure where he's at health wise. I didn't follow him too closely last year.
    Last edited by Reider; 10-31-2013 at 11:16 PM.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 585 Times in 316 Posts
    I think the Baker not wanting to play here thing was blown way out of proportion, if not being an outright myth. We went around and around on this a year ago and the evidence to support it was pretty thin, pretty much people trying to interpret out of context media bites.

I'd welcome Baker back for the right price, which at this point would have to be pretty low. Given that, he'd be a relatively low risk signing.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Baker is looking for the right situation. He can build value here and he knows it. I remember interviews he gave saying he did like it here. He is a flyball pitcher so here would be a good option for him and he knows that. But I guarantee you the 5.5 million the Cubs offered was probably more than twice what we offered which is why he hurried out the door. I did also offer baker as an option in Shanes comment section of his offseason plans in one of my posts. but Baker is only that ....an option. There are lots of those. I see the Twins signing the likes of Yoon, Pelfry and a Campuano/ Baker/ Messinger type for the rotation. Hughes if we are lucky. I would love to see the Twins go after Santana or Ubaldo but the difference in Ubaldo and 3 starting pitchers is not enough to make the Twins spend on him. That has always been the Twins MO.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by goulik View Post
    My understanding with Baker was that he had virtually no interest in rejoining the Twins. Just does not want to be here. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong but I remember hearing that somewhere.
    Nah, TwinsNorth is right. Twins insisted on a club option, Baker didn't want that - and maybe he was right to not want it. Ideally for him, he has a solid 2013 season and then get a big FA deal after it. Twins didn't want to have him for a half season of rehab and maybe a few good starts at the end of the year. And I believe the Cubs deal would pay him slightly more if he hit some of his incentives.

IIRC, a lot of fans ripped the Twins for not giving into Baker's demands and some started to imply that Baker didn't want to be here but it certainly wasn't based on anything in fact.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 741 Times in 414 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Baker got a raw deal from Minnesota fans. When he was healthy, he was really underrated.

The problem is that he's rarely healthy.

If he manages to post a 200 inning season in 2014, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see him post a better season than Ervin Santana. In fact, put a couple drinks in me and I'd actually make that bet.

Baker is a great buy-low candidate. I'd be infuriated if he is the only pitching free agent pick-up this offseason but if we entered 2014 with Hughes and Baker fronting the rotation, I'd be pretty damned pleased with Ryan.

I think signing Baker would be a move that makes sense for both parties.

The Twins need all of the quality arms they can get, and when healthy, Baker is certainly a quality arm.

Baker needs to sign with someone that will give him opportunities to start (so he can rebuild his value) and the Twins wide open rotation can give him that opportunity.

I'd love to see Baker on a two year contract, but wouldn't balk at a one year deal if that's what it takes to bring him back.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 86 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A one year plus option year might work very well for the Twins. They probably would have to pay more for the guaranteed year in order to get the club option. Since everybody on this board is in agreement that paying more next year can (and should) be done, it is probably a good move to pay Baker a bit more for 2014 in hopes that he comes back to the form he had pre-TJ.

Senior Member Triple-A
    If they could get him for a deal that left room to comfortably walk away (think Marquis) if it did not work then I think this would be a good move. A concern would that the section of MN fans who are searching for things to be negative about would chew this to pieces. Ryan may not have the credibility to sell a move like this. If Baker came in and gave 2011esq numbers and was able to go 175 innings it would be a giant difference. What would be a the contract? One year at 4.0 million?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 194 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Penz View Post
    If they could get him for a deal that left room to comfortably walk away (think Marquis) if it did not work then I think this would be a good move. A concern would that the section of MN fans who are searching for things to be negative about would chew this to pieces. Ryan may not have the credibility to sell a move like this. If Baker came in and gave 2011esq numbers and was able to go 175 innings it would be a giant difference. What would be a the contract? One year at 4.0 million?
    Well he got $5.5 million last year. That was coming off TJ surgery. I'm sure he will get that much at least next year. Could be a lot more if he works out and looks good.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 338 Times in 192 Posts
    I'd happily toss Baker 2 years and 12M. Potential for a lot of upside there.