Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Minnesota Twins Top 50 Prospects: 16-20

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DJL44 View Post
    Did they keep Vargas at Ft Myers so he could work with the trainers? I have heard the training facilities are the best there.
    They are the best, but I don't think that has anything to do with it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Eades is one of the most interesting Twins prospects to me. His "massive" 15.2 innings after an insanely long college season mean zero to me. If can add some more strength with professional trainers and figure out if he wants to throw a slider or a curve, instead of a slurve, he could be a steal. He was a top 20 draft prospect for most the year and ended in the top 35 of a lot of lists.
    Well put.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smcginnity View Post
    I read this blog daily and barely know about Fernando Romero. I realize he is in the GCL but I know Thorpe, Rosario, Jorge, Landa but this Romero kid...I have never heard anything about him really.

Is there a prediction on which pitchers will start where next season? It seems like we have a plethora of starting pitchers but not enough spots to start them. I imagine the following:

Rochester:
    Logan Darnell
    Alex Meyer
    Trevor May
    Pat Dean
    Tom Stuifbergen

New Britain:
    Taylor Rogers
    DJ Baxendale
    Matt Summers
    Alex Wimmers
    Tyler Duffey

Fort Myers:
    Jose Berrios
    Ryan Eades
    Mason Melotakis
    Tim Atherton
    Tim Shibuya
    Hudson Boyd
    Jason Wheeler

Cedar Rapids (This is where it gets tough...):
    Kohl Stewart
    Yorman Landa
    Lewis Thorpe
    Miguel Sulbaran
    Randy Rosario
    Felix Jorge
    Stephen Gonsalves
    Aaron Slegers

What say you Seth?
    I tried this same exercise following the season and came to the same general conclusion as you; there are a lot of pitchers vying for starting rolls, especially at the lower levels.

A couple of notes, IMO.
    1) Rochester and NB are very similar to mine except I think Duffey starts at FM. He wasn't overly impressive at FM to end the season. I think Jason Wheeler gets the start at NB instead.

2) Sulbaran will start at FM while Atherton, Shibuya and Boyd will be in the Pen to start the season. Brett Lee will fit in here as well. Interesting to see if he's starting or a reliever to begin the season.

3)Thorpe will pitch at Elizabethton this season. His arm isn't ready for full season ball at this point. He only pitched 44 innings in 2013.

4) It will be very interesting to see where Stewart and Gonsalves pitch this season. Berrios got pushed to Beloit in 2013 but there were more openings in the rotation. Beloit 2014 is going to be extremely crowded. Jorge, Landa and Rosario will be starting which only leaves 2 or 3 other slots. Eades, Slegers, Hein Robb, Gonsalves, Stewart, Kuo Hua Lo and Josue Montanez all could be looking for starts.

5) Elizabethton will have a similar problem with Thorpe, Gibbons, Romero, Chih-Wei Hu, other GCL pitchers (there were a bunch who got starts and it's sometimes tough to figure out who will be "starters" at Elizabethton) and possibly Stewart and Gonsalves plus any pitchers they draft in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Rogers was the Twins 12th round pick in '12, one round after Baxendale. Both out of college. I would argue they should/could be closer together. Rogers gets bonus points for being left-handed and having a very good slider. He could drop a couple of spots due to lack of Ks. Baxendale should be up a few spots as well due to his pitch mix. I like both. They should be closer together. Having seen both, I'll stand by my slight edge to Rogers, though I know that most will disagree... (It's my list! HA!)
    Text above states Rogers as 2011 pick (needs correction). I assumed it was correct.

I look at value this way: who would I'll be less willing to trade. Baxendale has shown a capability to dominate and the Twins have pushed him faster. Neither may make it but at least Baxendale has shown a higher ceiling.

Senior Member Double-A Wookiee of the Year's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When Ortiz started this season on the DL, he went to a few of the Miracle games. He has befriended Sano and Vargas. I can't speak to the extent of that, but I know there was time spent together.
    Wow, that I had not heard before. Pretty cool little tidbit--thanks for passing it along!

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Interesting group. I too hadn't really heard of Romero, despite the inordinate amount of time I spend here. Goodrum is a favorite of mine, hopefully due for a breakout...I remember he was one of those raw, toolsy guys that would take time.

And Eades...I just hope he or Bard, or Gonsalves, or somebody develops so the narrative can become how great the Twins are at mining for overlooked talent. He could be the next Matt Moore...or the next Matt Bashore.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At their ages, Hicks and Vargas needed to be pushed up last summer.

Hicks will have just turned 24 as the minor league season starts next year. Vargas is 23 and turns 24 in August. You might see catchers or possibly up the middle prospects at that age in AA. Those prospects have both parts of their game to develop.

You don't see bat only prospects at 24 in AA. The earlier mentioned David Ortiz started in High A and moved to AA and AAA all in his 21 year old season. Allen Craig was an older prospect for the Cardinals. Like Hicks, he was a college guy. He played his first full season in high A(22) and second full season at AA(23). He hit AAA at 24 in spite of being in college.

Vargas is on a similar age path as Craig, but he has been in pro ball since he was 18. If he was a prospect, he should have moved quicker. Hicks is behind by a year or two. He was a college player but so was Craig. If he was a prospect, he should have been moved up.

The Twins need one of these guys in AAA next year and one in AA. It is time to find out if they are prospects.

4) It will be very interesting to see where Stewart and Gonsalves pitch this season. Berrios got pushed to Beloit in 2013 but there were more openings in the rotation. Beloit 2014 is going to be extremely crowded. Jorge, Landa and Rosario will be starting which only leaves 2 or 3 other slots. Eades, Slegers, Hein Robb, Gonsalves, Stewart, Kuo Hua Lo and Josue Montanez all could be looking for starts.

Crap, we traded our whole Cedar Rapids rotation to Oakland?!? I hope we got a good return.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    At their ages, Hicks and Vargas needed to be pushed up last summer.

The Twins need one of these guys in AAA next year and one in AA. It is time to find out if they are prospects.
    I just don't get this line of thinking. I understand it in the form of a prospect list. The reason that Buxton and Sano are top prospects in baseball is, along with their amazing talent, their age to level of competition. They are the exceptions.

I just don't see the value in pushing a player based on age as opposed to readiness. If they get to the big leagues at 25 instead of 23, but they're in a better position to succeed, what's the negative?

Brian Dozier got to the big leagues less than 2 years after he signed, and he was 24, and yet, people thought he was old. That's just crazy to me.

Age is just one piece of a prospect list.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Byron Buxton
    Miguel Sano
    Eddie Rosario
    Alex Meyer
    Trevor May
    Jorge Polanco
    Max Kepler
    Travis Harrison
    Adam Brett Walker
    Josmil Pinto
    Danny Santana
    Jose Berrios

Kohl Stewart
    Lewis Thorpe
    Hudson Boyd

Decent, but probably not included:
    Jason Wheeler-performance is good
    Last edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse; 11-02-2013 at 01:17 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just don't get this line of thinking. I understand it in the form of a prospect list. The reason that Buxton and Sano are top prospects in baseball is, along with their amazing talent, their age to level of competition. They are the exceptions.

I just don't see the value in pushing a player based on age as opposed to readiness. If they get to the big leagues at 25 instead of 23, but they're in a better position to succeed, what's the negative?

Brian Dozier got to the big leagues less than 2 years after he signed, and he was 24, and yet, people thought he was old. That's just crazy to me.

Age is just one piece of a prospect list.
    Dozier is an up the middle player. He will get a longer chance to succeed or fall into a utility role.

Hicks has to make it by his bat. He is going to need a lot of AA and AAA at bats to be successful. How is that going to happen by 25 if he starts in High A at 24? By the time he does get to the majors, he will have nothing left in the growth curve. I think the way the a Twins have chosen to handle him demonstrates that they don't see him as a prospect.
    Last edited by jorgenswest; 11-04-2013 at 10:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    I really like Dalton Hicks, but he was a 17th round pick out of college just last year. I rank him 30th in the Twins minor leagues, but that's likely well higher than most would rank him. Is he a prospect? Yes. Is he a top prospect? No. He's probably not a guy that's going to make it up by 25, and that's OK. If he does make it at 26-27, that would be great! And, it doesn't mean he can't be a valuable piece starting at that time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12