Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Free Agent Pitcher Profile: Josh Johnson

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 86 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Free Agent Pitcher Profile: Josh Johnson

I would take a flyer (like Pelfrey) on him. One year 8 or 9 million. Max 2 year 15 million. Maybe he could be a stop gap till the young guys (Berrios, Stewart, Gonsalves) are ready.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 333 Times in 163 Posts
    Certainly worth the effort to sign him. He has big upside and the only downside is money which will go in Pohlads pocket if not spent. If he has a big year either trade him at the deadline or a QO next winter.
    True or not I read his brother lives in the cities.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd like to see the Twins offer a Pelfrey-ish contract. Obviously more money, but incentives that could earn him up to $12, 13, 14m. If he's right - and reaches those incentives - you turn around and make him a QO.

(Wow. I typed out my comment and noticed I hadn't submitted it... lots of similar thinkers late in the morning.)

I would be all for us giving a Pelfrey contract to Josh Johnson, Johan Santana and Tim Hudson. All risky but mine as well

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd give him a Correia contract.

(Pelfrey was already taken)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 328 Times in 206 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Basically, any one-year deal would be fine for Johnson, and probably Hughes too. That's all they will be looking for this offseason, and with that short of a term, the dollars really don't matter.

Still would be nice to get a longer-term guy for the rotation too -- maybe Johnson or Hughes if they have success could be extended reasonably, or we could splurge on an Ervin Santana type.

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Johnson for one year, and Hughes for three. Pay what the market will bear, Pohlads.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It will take more than a Pelfrey contract. He is not returning from a Tommy John surgery.

Hate to say it (because the price will be high), but his play in 2013 was not reflected by his 2-8 record and 6.20 ERA, but by his 3.58 xFIP. Add his more than 1 K/IP to his 93 mph average fastball, to his under 30 age and you got a guy who you (or someone) will want to sign for a 3-4 year contract.

And I think that a 3/40 or 4/50 might be what it will take, including incentives. Look at what Lincicum got, and Johnson has fewer questions...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Can you make a Qualifying Offer if you only give a 1 year contract? IIRC, you didn't get compensation under the old rules unless the player was on a multi-year deal.

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
    I am not very high on Johnson due to his injury history. I would be happy that the Twins signed him if they also sign one or two other pitchers. If he is the only signing, I would be pretty disappointed.

My concern is that Terry Ryan will wait till the market establishes itself and he will cringe and pull back on aggressively pursuing anyone in free agency other then the scrap bin variety. I hope he jumps out of the gate after a Johnson, either Santana, Vargas or Hughes. Hughes I would be willing to go multiple years. He seems like a good fit for Target Field.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Niedermann View Post
    I hope he jumps out of the gate after a Johnson, either Santana, Vargas or Hughes..
    Vargas does not belong in this list. He would be a tremendous mistake. Nick Blackburn 2.0. But he is a groundball pitcher with a 87 mph FB who pitches to contact, which is what the Twins' like.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 86 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    And I think that a 3/40 or 4/50 might be what it will take, including incentives. Look at what Lincicum got, and Johnson has fewer questions...
    Ah... no. Lincecum has made 32+ starts for six straight years and pitched ~200 innings this season. Johnson has made 32+ starts once in his career and is coming off a season that was shortened by arm problems and ended in elbow surgery.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Ah... no. Lincecum has made 32+ starts for six straight years and pitched ~200 innings this season. Johnson has made 32+ starts once in his career and is coming off a season that was shortened by arm problems and ended in elbow surgery.
    Looks like his camp will be asking close to Lincecum numbers... I am pretty confident that he will get it.

Interesting comments from Radcliff in that link, which make me think that these guys (Twins FO scouts) do not know the difference between "horrible" and "good" and they go by W-L and ERA. Unless they think that every single Twins SP was "horrible", since Johnson's 3.58 xFIP dwarfs all of the Twins' SP numbers, and his k/9 is almost double to the best Twins' SP.
    Last edited by Thrylos; 11-01-2013 at 07:47 PM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 666 Times in 377 Posts
    I highly doubt Johnson gets 7M. That's 1.5M more than Correia with cash flush in the league.

I'm guessing it's more akin to what Dan Haren got from Washington.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Really interesting tidbit from Radcliff about Johnson

Twins VP of player personnel Mike Radcliff threw some cold water on the possibility of a move on Johnson, Berardino further reports. Radcliff said that Johnson is coming off of a "horrible" year and "if he wants $10 million, we're not going to be involved with that

To which I would agree whole heartedly!

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 35 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here's the problem: Ryan will wait to see what the market bares and hope against hope that he will get a deal once the dust settles. Problem is, like last year, other teams will establish the market by signing the decent SP, leaving the Twinks with rejects, the scrap-pile and has beens. To get these guys, the Twins can't sit back and react. They have to be aggressive and spend right out of the gate.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Johnson would be worthwhile even on a 1 year contract. If you gamble and lose it happens and if you win, you can flip him at the deadline for some very good prospects. He then would not bog down payroll in the succeeding years.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 816 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Johnson isn't going to get anything close to 10M (unless it's purely incentives). After a disappointing season and forearm pain, he's a Tommy John candidate waiting to happen. I'm guessing he gets less than Pelfrey. I'm fine going after him on a 1 year deal, but I'm guessing he's not getting more than 3 to 4M, and even that makes me cringe as I suspect he's on the 60 day DL by May.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast