Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Article: Free Agent Pitcher Profile: Josh Johnson

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Moderator's note: the back and forth between two members on the side topic of metrics has probably about run its course - if by chance either of you feels motivated to pursue it further, how about starting a fresh thread on it?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How about the Twins sign Ubaldo for 4/52 AND Josh Johnson for 1/11 plus hopefully an option year for 12-14?

Can the Twins find 24mm in salary space for this year for both of these guys? Getting Johnson the Twins roster, even on a 1-year deal, is the best way to keep him for an extended time (see Pavano, Carl.)

Then I'd like to see Ryan round out his über-aggressive pitching spending spree with a flyer on Phil Hughes (3/18?) or Johan.

Would anyone else sign on to this plan?

Why just one year?

Let's look back in the past less than one year. In order to get Kevin Correia, the DEFINITION of league average, we had to give him two years. Hometown connection or not, we're still going to have to overpay to get Josh Johnson.

I like the 1 year plus options route, but honestly, if we had to guarantee him as many as three years, I say go for it. We've got money to spend. You don't spend FA money on the "one piece", you spend FA money on building certainty, something to build around.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AM. View Post
    How about the Twins sign Ubaldo for 4/52 AND Josh Johnson for 1/11 plus hopefully an option year for 12-14?

Can the Twins find 24mm in salary space for this year for both of these guys? Getting Johnson the Twins roster, even on a 1-year deal, is the best way to keep him for an extended time (see Pavano, Carl.)

Then I'd like to see Ryan round out his über-aggressive pitching spending spree with a flyer on Phil Hughes (3/18?) or Johan.

I would sign off, but I'm guessing Hughes and Jimenez won't. With the added revenue I'd bet Jimenez gets closer to $15-16M per year. I also don't think Hughes goes for that deal. If he can only get $6M per, he's only going to accept a one year deal to rebuild his value.

Still, even if it's 4/64 for Jimenez and 1/8 or 2/16 for Hughes, I'm game.

Frankly, any contract the front office gives to any pitcher with plus strikeout potential I will endorse, even if it's a guy I don't much care for or believe in. The effort is what will count in my book as I have been waiting over 20 years for that kind of initiative.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 662 Times in 374 Posts

In addition to being well argued and something I completely agree with, you sold me with the effort to put an umlaut on "uber".

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    I'm interested in Jimenez and Scott Kazmir, but is anyone else concerned that they both had rebound seasons the same time they were introduced to Terry Francona and pitching coach Mickey Callaway? What if those men have a knowledge, technique or philosophy those runnig the Twins do not posess?

With the track record of the recent Twins pitching staffs, I don't think it's out of line to say it would be best to get pitchers who can bring their A game to town with them and need as little in-season refinement as possible. I don't want to rely on the club's current coaching staff to have to adjust anyone on the fly.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    That JJ didn't receive a QO makes signing him more palatable. And I agree, that if the Twins are interested in Johnson long term if he returns to form, a one year deal is the best way to make that happen. That said, I don't blame the Twins for their apparent lack of interest in JJ, given his health.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    In addition to being well argued and something I completely agree with, you sold me with the effort to put an umlaut on "uber".
    [debating whether to take credit for iPhone autocorrect.]

I personally think a rotation of JJohnson, Ubaldo, Gibson, Deduno, and Hughes/Worley would make the Twins pretty competitive, actually.

And a lineup of Hicks, Mauer, Arcia, Willingham, Colabello, Plouffe, Parmelee, and Florimon...actually could be productive too.

Meyer and Sano waiting in the wings.

Then Josh Johnson can start and win the Wild Card game, and get extended for 4/50.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    Dozier, too.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 662 Times in 374 Posts
    [debating whether to take credit for iPhone autocorrect.]

I personally think a rotation of JJohnson, Ubaldo, Gibson, Deduno, and Hughes/Worley would make the Twins pretty competitive, actually.

And a lineup of Hicks, Mauer, Arcia, Willingham, Colabello, Plouffe, Parmelee, and Florimon...actually could be productive too.

Meyer and Sano waiting in the wings.

Then Josh Johnson can start and win the Wild Card game, and get extended for 4/50.
    I think the offense still would need some serious work, but at least it's a competent pitching staff with upside to be well above that.

It's important, IMO, to not let the second biggest mistake of last offseason (And it's not as distant a second place as people think) to ignore the offense and not address needs there.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Add his more than 1 K/IP to his 93 mph average fastball, to his under 30 age and you got a guy who you (or someone) will want to sign for a 3-4 year contract.

And I think that a 3/40 or 4/50 might be what it will take, including incentives. Look at what Lincicum got, and Johnson has fewer questions...
    Yeah, about that...

From Johnson's agent, Matt Sosnick (via Parker):

There’s no question that we are going to go after a one-year and try to rebuild his value because he’s going to be treated as an injury liability

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123