Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries

Wolfson: Twins prepared to be aggressive in FA

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Wolfson: Starting pitching on the Twins' radar

1500ESPN.com’s Darren Wolfson writes that league sources have told him that the Twins are already active in the free agent market, showing interest in pitchers Jason Vargas (9-8, 150 IP, 109/46 K/BB and 4.29 xFIP), Ubaldo Jimenez (13-9, 182.2 IP, 194/80 K/BB and 3.62 xFIP) and Ricky Nolasco (13-11, 199.1 IP, 165/46 K/BB and 3.58 xFIP). Wolfson also says that the Twins are believed to have Ervin Santana (9-10, 211 IP, 161/51 K/BB and 3.69 xFIP) on their radar.

(For more TwinsDaily.com thoughts on these impending free agents, be sure to pick up a copy of our 2014 Offseason Handbook)

In the event of signing Jimenez or Santana, the team would need to forfeit their second round draft pick, a move that General Manager Terry Ryan had said he was willing to make in order to improve the team.

How would you rank these targets?

Twins plan to be aggressive in free agency, have targeted starters | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Twins
    @OverTheBaggy

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Missouri, baby. They promised to go all out last year too. Doesn't matter if you try, only if they actually sign players.

Jimenez
    Santana
    Nolasco
    Vargas
    Lighten up Francis....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    They promised to go all out last year too.
    Maybe it's selective memory in my attempts to wash away last offseason but were there reports of the front office targeting specific (good) pitching last season? I don't remember it.

Then again, I don't remember much from offseason other than unbridled, overwhelming disappointment.

Senior Member All-Star
    I just recall what Ryan said in his TD interview, that they were going to go get good pitching. They ended up with the worst starting staff in baseball, despite signing two free agents and trading for a MLB pitcher. I won't believe things have changed, until they do change. I expect others may feel differently.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Nolasco actually fits what I predicted earlier. They'll sign him to eat innings and have a rotation of Correia, Nolasco, Gibson, Pelfrey and Deduno with Albers, Diamond, May, Meyer, Hendriks, De Vries the back ups. Not a great rotation.

Liked 345 Times in 196 Posts
    I want to believe, really I do.

But I remember a lot of pretty high hopes around here last year at this time.

While these reports may be somewhat more positive than we saw last year (and while the owner has seemingly given a directive to acquire something "better"), I would still rather be pleasantly surprised than to have hope dashed again.

So until I KNOW that they've signed some good free agent pitching, I will remain a skeptic.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 303 Times in 180 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They were never linked to big names last year. Doesn't mean they weren't in on it, but they were not linked to them. I would consider it encouraging that at the very least, they are after some guys that could be difference makers.

Edit... should note I'm not terribly high on Nolasco

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    They were never linked to big names last year. Doesn't mean they weren't in on it, but they were not linked to them. I would consider it encouraging that at the very least, they are after some guys that could be difference makers.

Exactly. Last year felt like anytime the Twins were mentioned, they were just "in the market" and weren't ever connected to anyone. Just the fact that there are now names being connected to them is an improvement.

Now it feels like they're in the market AND they brought a list. Hopefully, they remembered their wallet.

Blog Entries

Thanks. That's how I remember it as well.

At the very least, it's an improvement to hear them connected to names like Ubaldo and Santana.

Senior Member All-Star
    Linked/shminked. That's pretty much meaningless, imo. Butera was linked to trying to hit.
    Lighten up Francis....

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 303 Times in 180 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Santana performs, sacrificing a second rounder is a no brainer, even in a deep draft, but given his history, is Santana worth that price?

Blog Entries
    If Santana performs, sacrificing a second rounder is a no brainer, even in a deep draft, but given his history, is Santana worth that price?
    You know how you feel about Nolasco?

I feel that way about Santana. Times two.

I think he's going to be a dreadful signing. Too old, too inconsistent, coming off a very good year. He's going to be a bad value.

I'd rather give four years to Hughes than four years to Santana.

Liked 345 Times in 196 Posts
    I'd rather hear what I'm hearing now than what I heard last year.

I'm just not going to get my hopes up about the results.

And if they manage to sign one of Jimenez, Nolasco, Santana, Hughes, Tanaka (or a few others), I'll give a sigh of relief. Their choice may not work out but at least it would indicate to me that the TR is willing to go outside his comfort zone. And signing 2 instead of 1 would be even better.

But again, until I see it, I'm an agnostic.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 589 Times in 318 Posts
    Fool me once, shame on you.....Fool me, you can't get fooled again.

George W Bush

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is one of those rare circumstances where I think everybody is right.

You can be a bit encouraged because we really haven't seen this kind of published report of linkage to legitimate FAs in the past, nor do I recall having ownership publicly endorsing dipping in to the FA market to improve competitiveness.

At the same time, the Twins have earned all the skepticism being reflected in comments, as well. Encouragement is fine, but it's perfectly fair for us to take a "believe it when we see it" view.

Even if they do go after FAs, there will be significant disagreement around here over whether they went after the RIGHT pitchers, but I'd welcome that argument over what we've had to talk about to this point.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here is what I think is happening:

The list (alphabetically) :
    Jimenez
    Nolasco
    Santana
    Vargas
    Who is not like the other 3 (and is more like Kevin Correia/Nick Blackburn) ? Hind: he has an 87 mph FB. That is the one who the Twins will overpay and sign and pretend that they signed top talent...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 170 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    If the Twins want to make a run at Nolasco, it could cost them upwards of $13 million per season, according to early industry estimates. A three- or four-year deal seems most likely for Nolasco.

Messenger, who had a 2.89 ERA and struck out 8.4 batters per nine innings this season in Japan, is weighing a three-year offer approaching $15 million to remain with Hanshin.

"My sense is (the Twins) have interest in all three of our free agents. I just don't know to what degree," Sosnick said. "They haven't really reached out to me on anybody directly. My sense is they're most interested in Nolasco."
    This would be a good start to the offseason IMO. Nolasco's a soft tosser but he can throw the kitchen sink at you and has been durable.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Maybe it's selective memory in my attempts to wash away last offseason but were there reports of the front office targeting specific (good) pitching last season? I don't remember it.

Then again, I don't remember much from offseason other than unbridled, overwhelming disappointment.
    Harden is the only one I remember being discussed in that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast