Thread: Johan Santana: Free Agent

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Johan Santana: Free Agent

The Mets decided to pay Johan Santana $5.5 million to not pitch for them in 2014 rather than pay him like $25 million. Santana is a free agent for the first time in his career. Here is the statement he released tonight.

Johan Santana's full statement

I want to thank the Mets organization, my teammates and of course give a big thank you to the Mets fans, who have been behind me from day one and stood by me through all the good and bad.
    I am not sure what the future holds, as this is all new to me, but I have every intention of pitching in 2014 and beyond and I am certainly keeping all my options open.
    BELIEVE IT!

Santana probably burned bridges in 2007 when he was publicly angry when they traded Castillo. I dont think ryan will consider him.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This will be interesting. He was actually ok when he pitched last season (8.5 K/9, 2.85 K/BB, 1.333 WHIP and he pitched 117 innings.) Injured. Those numbers would have put him on the top of the Twins' rotation.

I think that he will sign an one year plus a vesting option contract some place and that contract would be crazy incentive-filled. Like $3-5M base, $12-15M in incentives.

Would the Twins pull the trigger, would he want to return?

He might want to play for a contender, but he would definitely put rear ends on Target Field seats (will actually generate more $ than his contract) and will be better than Diamond and Albers added together...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 53 Times in 37 Posts
    I'm open to making Johan an offer, but much like offering Baker a contract, I'd like the Twins to sign two good healthy / young FA pitchers and perhaps look at a Baker / Johan (other similar types) etc.. as a possible add on / bonus. I won't be impressed if TR plays penny pincher again and only goes after the Pelfrey/Baker/Johan types without signing a couple of healthy mid to high end pitchers first. The Twins need some good young work horses.

if he pitches close to last year-- he'd be our ace. I would be all for his return. A wounded Johan is better than our best pitcher now.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 301 Times in 179 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but he's having the same surgery he had done last year, and that typical surgery doesn't have a high success rate as it is. I think he's done. I'd be fine with an incentive laden deal, but there's a good chance he never puts on a major league uniform next season, so I'm guessing he's signing a minor league contract.