Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Jack: Minnesota Twins' Jack Goin Answers Your Questions

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ask Jack: Minnesota Twins' Jack Goin Answers Your Questions

Jack Goin, the Twins' Manager of Major League Administration and Baseball Research, has been kind enough to field question from the Twins Daily community.

Naturally, Mr. Goin cannot answer any specifics regarding payroll, player movement and free agents -- so don't bother asking if the Twins will sign Ervin Santana, as an example -- but if you have questions about functions of the front office, analytics or processes, he will do his best to answer them here.

Feel free to leave your questions in the thread below and stop back soon.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    What do you think of front offices starting to sign guys away from "stats websites"?

Why aren't there more/any women in stats work (or ar there)? There are certainly women actuaries....so it isn't all "fear of math".

What is your favorite color?
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hi Jack, if forced to choose just one, what is your single favorite publically-available stat to measure offensive performance and why? (ie - BA, OBP, SLG, OPS, RC, RAA, OBA, VORP, TAv, any of their weighted brethren, etc)

Senior Member MVP
    Again, thanks,

Ok, if you can answer this....if 1 is the smallest stats department in MLB, and 10 is the largest, the Twins fall in what range. I won't hold it against you if you can't answer.

edit: to be clear, I'm not asking for a range of how many people you have.....but a ranking compared to other MLB teams. So, if 15 teams have 10 guys, and you have 4, then you are probably in the 2-3 ranking....or something like that.
    Last edited by mike wants wins; 11-01-2013 at 02:47 PM.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    What was the main reason the Twins let David Ortiz go after he hit 38 HR in his last 700 at bats as a 25/26 year old, posted a 120 OPS+, and a .950 OPS in the 2nd half of his last season in Minnesota?

Senior Member MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    What was the main reason the Twins let David Ortiz go after he hit 38 HR in his last 700 at bats as a 25/26 year old, posted a 120 OPS+, and a .950 OPS in the 2nd half of his last season in Minnesota?
    Objection your honor, leading the witness.....(trying for some humor here).
    Lighten up Francis....

Blog Entries
    That'd probably be a better question for TR (which he has answered) given that Jack had nothing to do with that decision back then.

In line with mike's wit... motion to strike the question from the record.

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    What do you think of front offices starting to sign guys away from "stats websites"?

Why aren't there more/any women in stats work (or ar there)? There are certainly women actuaries....so it isn't all "fear of math".

What is your favorite color?
    It's a good avenue to evaluate their work and understand their skill sets and interests.

I can't answer that question. The Orioles Coordinator of Analytics is a woman. After that I'm not sure.

I think grey.

Junior Member Rookie
    Twitter
    @daanderson20
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do you find the higher-ups are receptive to your recommendations? Has it been tough to get your thoughts/strategies on to the field?

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Again, thanks,

Ok, if you can answer this....if 1 is the smallest stats department in MLB, and 10 is the largest, the Twins fall in what range. I won't hold it against you if you can't answer.

edit: to be clear, I'm not asking for a range of how many people you have.....but a ranking compared to other MLB teams. So, if 15 teams have 10 guys, and you have 4, then you are probably in the 2-3 ranking....or something like that.
    I CAN tell you this. I believe the largest department is nine. The smallest is 0. We are somewhere in-between.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Your title is "Manager, Major League Administration and Baseball Research," how big is the staff you manage?

How much of your effort is dedicated to scouting, minor league development, research, mechanics, and whatever else we might associate with analytics, and how much is dedicated to Major League Administration?

Junior Member Rookie
    Twitter
    @daanderson20
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What are your thoughts on defensive shifts? Have you done any studies similar to what has been done in Pittsburgh?

Blog Entries
    Having taken a lot of criticism due to recent on-field results, is this part of a larger effort from the Twins to shed light on their process and operations that leadership is confident in?

Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    That'd probably be a better question for TR (which he has answered) given that Jack had nothing to do with that decision back then.

In line with mike's wit... motion to strike the question from the record.
    Terry has answered this question repeatedly. Let it go!

Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Having taken a lot of criticism due to recent on-field results, is this part of a larger effort from the Twins to shed light on their process and operations that leadership is confident in?
    I don't think I quite understand the question but I think the answer is no.

Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Your title is "Manager, Major League Administration and Baseball Research," how big is the staff you manage?

How much of your effort is dedicated to scouting, minor league development, research, mechanics, and whatever else we might associate with analytics, and how much is dedicated to Major League Administration?
    I scout the AL Central and I work closely with our pro scouting director and VP, Player Personnel on professional scouting - maintaining knowledge of the 29 other clubs. I work closely with Terry and Rob Antony on issues pertaining to the big league club. I am not involved our Minor Leagues much. Our Minor League Director, Brad Steil, does a great job with our farm system. I am always involved in Major League administration (waiver/option rules, contract rules, arbitration, CBA issues, etc.)

Junior Member Rookie
    Twitter
    @daanderson20
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Are you guys starting to put a greater value on catcher framing? Who is the best framer in the Twins system? I know Mauer has a tough time getting low strikes, does he work on this much?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    The Twins have long had a propensity to go after control pitchers who don't walk batters....finding a lot of value in that. It makes sense that on offense, going after hitters that can/will work a walk would have the same value, but the Twins haven't put nearly as much effort on that side. Is there anything to that?

The Twins (and every team really) plays lefty/righty matchups constantly with relievers from a pitching perspective....presumably knowing that the platoon advantage is a big deal in those at-bats. Doesn't it make as much sense to make an effort to platoon hitters to take advantage of that on the offensive side? Or is the idea of a platoon really just overrated because of roster limitations? Maybe swapping one less lefty reliever would allow for one more lefty hitter to allow for a platoon?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    What player has been the most "positive" player brought in that you suggested? Which player did you recommend yet the Twins didn't bring in that you regret?

(sorry for the poorly worded sentence...long day)

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts
    What is your opinion of publicly available defensive statistics, such as UZR and similar measurements? Do the Twins use any/all? Do the Twins use any proprietary defensive evaluation system (s)?
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast