Thread: Article: Fishing for Holes in the Roster

Twins Daily Writer Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

Article: Fishing for Holes in the Roster

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think shortstop is really an issue for the next couple years.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,215 Times in 725 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not quite sure whether the focus of these ratings is on 2014, or maybe on 2015. Catcher, for instance, seems covered in one way or another for 2014, regardless of whether Joe plays an inning there, so I don't see it as a one-bobber, but may be a problem in 2015 if Pinto doesn't turn out to be capable and when Doumit is gone, so the position bears watching. Third base and Center are problems on opening day 2014 unless one of the touted prospects is actually ready, but likely are both strengths by 2015, so depending on the focus they could be one- or three-bobbers.

How about a slip bobber for the pitching staff ??

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Christie View Post
    How about a slip bobber for the pitching staff ??
    Probably a sinker does the trick, as well.

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Arcia in RF is completely missing. With upcoming Buxton bumping out a cf, I see RF as a three bobber, two at very worst.

Senior Member Double-A Wookiee of the Year's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I tend to agree with Cody on shortstop, but I agree with goulik that there's no reason to lock Arcia into LF and make RF a One Bobber.

The one that surprises me, actually, is Three Bobbers for 3B. Are we certain Sano is locked in there? I'm more confident than I've been in the past, but I can't help but think of Plouffe and wonder about the organization's ability to forecast a prospect's future playing position. I hope you're right that Sano won't be moving to 1B, but I probably would've given only Two Bobbers to 3B based on that chance.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiee of the Year View Post
    The one that surprises me, actually, is Three Bobbers for 3B. Are we certain Sano is locked in there? I'm more confident than I've been in the past, but I can't help but think of Plouffe and wonder about the organization's ability to forecast a prospect's future playing position. I hope you're right that Sano won't be moving to 1B, but I probably would've given only Two Bobbers to 3B based on that chance.
    I think he's absolutely a lock at 3B, and I think Cody was looking at the short-term. Even if Sano isn't the ultimate answer at 3B, he's going to be given a couple of years there. So, it's definitely not a position they should address.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really like this article by Cody. I think it's a fun topic, and I'll just throw out my "bobbers" by position as well.

Starting Pitchers - One Bobber (though I want Meyer and May to be starting by second half. I wouldn't sign more than one high-priced starter)
    Bullpen - Three Bobbers - no need to spend there.
    1B - Two Bobbers - if it was me, I'd go with Mauer there, but I'm also good with giving Parmelee/Colabello another shot to start next year.
    2B - Three Bobbers - Dozier and/or Rosario
    SS - Two Bobbers - Florimon isn't a great hitter, but the D is elite. I would not spend money there and hope Santana can take a big step ahead.
    3B - Three Bobbers - Plouffe until Sano is ready.
    LF - Three Bobbers - Willingham will play there. I prefer Arcia in RF. Hicks can play there.
    CF - Three Bobbers - Short-term, no worries with Mastro/Pressley, long-term, Buxton by July/August.
    RF - Three Bobbers - Arcia, Hicks, there are options.

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Probably a sinker does the trick, as well.
    I think there are already too many sinkers. Maybe get a couple of nasty sliders or curves on the rotation...

Liked 58 Times in 38 Posts
    It's pretty obvious that fans don't even realize what they have @ SS. Florimon is outstanding and last year was his first full season playing for the Twins. He has great range and a strong arm. He hit 9 hr's last year and led the team in stolen bases (15). With Florimon @ SS and Dozier @ 2nd, the Twins finally have a solid middle infield again. Florimon is absolutely the type of player you want to give another year or two to improve his BA and OBP.

Liked 1,035 Times in 470 Posts
    What I realize is: .221/.281/.330.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

You can live with Florimon if everyone else hits. He has some punch and all, but you have to have more than 2-3 other guys who hit above .250. Offsensively, the Twins don't exactly suck for 2014 if they can figure out the best way to utilize the lineup. You have Mauer catching. You have Doumit as back-up and DH. You have Herrmann on the bench. You have Mauer at first with Colabello as back-up. You have Parmelee on the bench. You have Dozier at second, who has shown power, Florimon at short, and Plouffe still at third. You have Escobar as backup. You have Willingham, Pressly and Arcia in the outfield with Mastro as backup. The bench is basically Mastro, Parmelee, Herrmann and Escobr. I would love to see a more proven bat, and not have to depend on Parmelee or Colabello at first, but both deserve a chance to crack spring training and/or the lineup. The addition of Buxton, Hicks, Sano, Rosario, Santana, and Pinto to the mix in 2014 gives a lot more hope. The biggest question is who's on first and can Pinto make Mauer a non-catcher. Yes, Florimon is the best we have at short right now. I'm not sure Dozier can switch over (or we want him to) but we may need a place for Rosario. Dozier may be one of our top five trading chips as the season progresses.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    What I realize is: .221/.281/.330.
    115 Ks in 134 games. Where's the pukey emoticon?

Florimon led all MLB ss in put outs (245) range factor (5.29) and was 2nd in defensive war (2.2) and double plays turned (101) yet he only started 127 games.

Please stop worrying about the ba avg of our 9th hitter. He earned the 495k he made last season.

If he continues to play great defense and grows at the plate slightly, whether it's 10pts in avg or 5hrs you should be more than happy for many yrs

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Greg Gagne's first full season was 225/279/317. I would love to have the second coming of Greg Gagne but I do not necessarily believe Florimon will be that. But if...
    Gagne Stats
    Yrs. G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR. RBI. SB. CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS
    87-91 712 2348 2154 297 549 122 26 48 216 51 34 119 422 .255 .297 .403 .700
    Avg 142 470 431 59 110 24 5 10 43. 10 7 24 84 .255 .297 .403 .700
    And Two World Series titles...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goulik View Post
    Greg Gagne's first full season was 225/279/317.
    There's a bit of difference in a 23-year-old coming up to the majors and needing a season to adjust, and someone 26. It's not impossible that Florimon improves at this age, but it's unlikely he reaches Gagne's level on offense; he also could regress.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reider View Post
    It's pretty obvious that fans don't even realize what they have @ SS. Florimon is outstanding and last year was his first full season playing for the Twins. He has great range and a strong arm. He hit 9 hr's last year and led the team in stolen bases (15). With Florimon @ SS and Dozier @ 2nd, the Twins finally have a solid middle infield again. Florimon is absolutely the type of player you want to give another year or two to improve his BA and OBP.
    I couldn't agree more.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would say that the Twins should Florimon-Dozier it up in the infield until Rosario forces a decision. Then, given the abominations-as-options, the Twins should realize that nothing is really lost with Rosario in left field for half (at most) of 2014. Meanwhile, if one of Santana, Beresford, and Polanco has a great season, you can figure out a Dozier trade. Or if two of those guys have good seasons, same thing. I definitely do not entrust the entire future to Pedro Florimon and yet am very unwilling for the Twins, who have been RIDICULOUSLY bad at developing middle infield talent for whatever reason to ever leave themselves with fewer than three solid-good players there, overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I would say that the Twins should Florimon-Dozier it up in the infield until Rosario forces a decision. Then, given the abominations-as-options, the Twins should realize that nothing is really lost with Rosario in left field for half (at most) of 2014. Meanwhile, if one of Santana, Beresford, and Polanco has a great season, you can figure out a Dozier trade. Or if two of those guys have good seasons, same thing. I definitely do not entrust the entire future to Pedro Florimon and yet am very unwilling for the Twins, who have been RIDICULOUSLY bad at developing middle infield talent for whatever reason to ever leave themselves with fewer than three solid-good players there, overall.
    I was thinking the exact same thing. It would we could deal Willingham and/or Doumitt by the deadline and get Rosario to the MLs. Start him in the outfield and see how his bat looks against ML pitching. We could also give him some games at 2B when Dozier needs a day off or even play Dozier at SS for a few games.

Bottom line is that any decision on Florimon can wait until at least 2015 when it will be a more informed decision. How nice would it be if Florimon improves to league average offensively and Santana proves to be a top prospect. That would give us a viable trade scenario for more pitching.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast