Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Minnesota Twins Top 50 Prospects: 11-15

You are right. That makes 10 roster spots to prospects in less than 2 years. I guess you could not go faster than that. By the way, did you mean Rosario and Buxton in early August? Sano might be a big enough guy to need two debuts tho...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
    Pinto was up with the Twins for only a month, but he showed what Josmil Pinto is and can be. Starting with the positive, the guy can hit. He began the year in AA and hit .308/.411/.482 (.892). He moved up to Rochester, and in 19 games hit .314 (with an .819 OPS). Right before September, he was promoted to the Twins where he hit .342/.398/.566 (.963) in 21 games. He had five doubles and four home runs. To summarize, he can hit for average, has a very good approach at the plate and knowledge of the strike zone and very good pop in his bat for a catcher.
    I'll admit to not following Pinto's career very well so far, so I have some more basic questions. It looks like his hitting game is a high-average, high-OBP kind of thing, which is very encouraging as most catchers don't do those things very well. Throwing out his SSS appearance in the majors, what is your read on whether the power stays with him? Is he a legitimate home run threat too? Can he keep his ~.300 batting average with some seasoning in the major leagues? Is he actually a threat to reach ~.400 OBP in the majors?

I guess what I'm asking is how you'd project him as a big league guy. Most reports I've seen don't really peg him as a star, just a solid starter. On the other hand, if he can get his stats to where they were in the upper minor leagues while wearing a Twins uniform, I think you have one of the top hitting catchers in the league. There are only 3 or 4 catchers in the whole league who can OPS .800. Is this a real possibility somewhere down the line?

I would expect to see Sano and Meyer up by about the end of June. I'd expect to see Rosario and Sano up by early August. Couple them with top prospects who surpassed the prospect innings/at bats like Arcia, Hicks and Gibson, and you've got a good start. Theilbar and Pressly came up last year and contributed already. May will be up by July or so as well.

Guess I am assuming Buxton coming up in early August, since Sano is listed twice. I like how Seth descibes the "waves" of farm system talent coming up. It's seems like we are in the middle of the first wave (2013-2014) with the second wave (
    Berrios, Kepler, Walker, Thorpe, Polanco and Stewart) coming up in 2016-2017.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wagwan View Post
    You are right. That makes 10 roster spots to prospects in less than 2 years. I guess you could not go faster than that. By the way, did you mean Rosario and Buxton in early August? Sano might be a big enough guy to need two debuts tho...
    Ha! Yes, I did. The two have been together as teammates since they signed, so maybe they are as one in my mind?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    I'll admit to not following Pinto's career very well so far, so I have some more basic questions. It looks like his hitting game is a high-average, high-OBP kind of thing, which is very encouraging as most catchers don't do those things very well. Throwing out his SSS appearance in the majors, what is your read on whether the power stays with him? Is he a legitimate home run threat too? Can he keep his ~.300 batting average with some seasoning in the major leagues? Is he actually a threat to reach ~.400 OBP in the majors?
    A .400 OBP is pretty tough, but i think he can be a .280/.360/440 type and be right in that .800 OPS range... for a catcher, that's tremendous. I wouldn't expect that right away next year. He was voted the "Best Plate Discipline" (or something to that effect) in the Eastern League this year. He takes good at bats and knows the strike zone. He is strong. He's a big weight room guy who is said to outwork most. So, we'll see, but I think an .800 OPS is realistic. Maybe optimistic too, but not out of the realm of possibility.

I'm curious as to what causes Aderlin Meija to be left off of a top 50 prospects list.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlier View Post
    I'm curious as to what causes Aderlin Meija to be left off of a top 50 prospects list.
    Well the OPS did drop at the end of the year to a much more pedestrian number. He should repeat A+ and then we'll really see.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Does anybody know what Josmil Pinto stats were over the full season of AA, AAA and the majors?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    Does anybody know what Josmil Pinto stats were over the full season of AA, AAA and the majors?
    It looks like about .900 OPS, with 19 homers, 37 doubles, 72 walks, and 105 strikeouts.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Seth as always great work. Trying to remember how long I have been reading your stuff. 8 years now? Maybe. Anyways, I have seen just about all these guys play either in Beloit or CR and I always find it interesting and exciting to see your comments on them to compare to mine. Never been a Santana guy, just don't see it. beresford was my SS of choice for the Snappers. I liked Goodrum, he plays pretty fluid for a guy his size and I would think he could stay at Short, plus he has a cannon over there. Next to Buxton the bat that really excited me this year at CR was Polanco. He squared up on everything he hit and laced balls all over the field. I got to see him play short when Goodrum was out and it really made it clear that he is a second baseman in the future. The question I had was is he better then Rosario who I saw a year earlier? I think it is close. Rosario may have more power, but Polanco is better in the field at this level. What a nice place to be with 2nd. Harrison I might put a bit lower, but not much. He has the frame to develop into that big corner bat that could really team with Sano and Vargas (DH) to cause nightmares among pitchers. Hopefully will get a look at Gonsalves this year in CR, maybe Thorpe and Stewart at some point too? Thanks again Seth.

Blog Entries
    It's a great question because he came out of nowhere. Obviously he was supposed to go to ETown, but ended up in FM and hit for high average. Since I started the rankings, I've learned more and more of him. Tiny, slap hitter with speed. Very good gloved and a very strong arm. He should probably be in the late 30s or somewhere in the 40s.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    It looks like about .900 OPS, with 19 homers, 37 doubles, 72 walks, and 105 strikeouts.
    Yes, I admit, Pinto should probably be a little bit higher.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gotta Love My Sleeper
    Adam Brett Walker wins Topps/MWL Player of the Year | Cedar Rapids Kernels News
    Midwest League Player of the Year
    Well deserved

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I agree with the comments on May. He's going to get every opportunity to start, and while the ERA didn't necessarily show it, the peripheral stats all showed him taking a step forward. Hopefully we see that walk rate in particular drop a bit more in Rochester next year. If he can keep it around 3/9, he's going to be a very good starter.

Pinto is way too low. He has an outside shot to be a top 100 guy on a lot of lists this offseason. He's far better than where you have him ranked. He's a catcher that can hit. Defense is a work in progress I agree, but he's good enough to stick there.

I'm with Jim on Santana. Not sure what to think there. The bat doesn't excite me unless he gets some gap power or something.

Twins have and will have plenty of power. In fact at the major league level that is the category they were closest to league average. OBP and batting average on the other hand was pathetic and the main reason they did not score runs. OBP excites me. Gap power is just a bonus. We need guys on base and guys that make contact with guys on base.

Loving the rankings of these guys as well. I just think its funny that the MLB.com top 20 rankings are nowhere even close to these, aside from the possible top 5. I was worried that Walker fell apart or something because he wasn't in their top 20! I trust someone who lives and breathes these players. And reading stuff like this gets me jacked for whats coming! I was so withdrawn from Twins baseball back in the 90's, along with being only a teenager at that time, so the last rebuilding process was mostly lost on me till '01 when things really came around. But following these guys coming up and waiting their call-ups is pretty much what a Twins fan has to look forward too these days. I cant wait till February!!

Blog Entries
    I guess there are a lot of Twins Top 20s or Top 30s... the mlb.com one is always a little out there.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    In regards to why Mejia didn't make the top 50, also realize that the slick-fielding James Beresford, who hit over .300 with a .360 OBA in AA and AAA didn't make it. Top prospect lists are more about ceilings than floors... but it doesn't mean Mejia (or Beresford) won't have a significant MLB career!

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    If Santana can play SS in the majors, that would be huge for this team. May was what we were warned by the internet experts this year, I thought. Pinto should, IMO, be the starting catcher next year. It amazes me people think they cannot compete next year, and would risk Mauers health next year. This is a list with upside, but low floors too. Which is what you would expect at this level in the rankings.
    I can't imagine Santana being any better than Florimon is. His defense is significantly worse and while his offensive potential is decent, it's hardly exciting.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think he should be a 40s-50s, but he really doesn't provide anything besides batting average and OBP. Even those are a bit questionable right now. There's no reason to believe he'll get some pop or speed and there's not much potential. If he gets a good glove, proves his offense, and can stick it at SS rather than 3B, than he's got a chance. That's a lot to ask, however, and he's got a pretty long road to travel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12