Thread: Dee Gordon future Twin?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts

Dee Gordon future Twin?

It seems like Dee Gordon is running out of time and positions with the Dodgers. He would be an upgrade at SS and would bring some much needed speed back into the lineup.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,215 Times in 725 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't trust inflated PCL stats for batters. Hard to see him as an upgrade over Florimon at all.

He would steal 50 bases if he had the opportunity to play everyday. He just needs a change of scenery and he could be a valuable piece to the puzzle of rebuilding the Twins.

Blog Entries
    The SB could be a plus. From everything I've read, the defense could be a minus despite the tools. Another Florimon rehab project at bat and in the field, in other words. I wouldn't give up much for him.

Liked 660 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I love speed... I'll take him
    "9. Lipstick"

"How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

"I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

Liked 124 Times in 57 Posts
    Makes sense. He can't hit and is a mediocre fielder at best. That said take a flyer on him. I don't trust Gardenhire to run him anyway.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm good with Gordon, and I like thinking outside the box. The Dodgers are moving him to CF this winter, so if nothing else, he'd be a solid utility guy at a couple of positions. He's a minor upgrade on Florimon offensively, and a couple notches below him defensively. He's certainly got speed, and I like speed.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    As a flier, maybe. BUT....not as a first plan for anything.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    I agree with Mike. I would take a flier too. I love the speed aspect of his game but you need to be on base to utilize it. I don't want him learning from Segura on stealing first base.

Segura's baserunning adventures - YouTube

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    I'd be interested at minimal cost, though guys that can play SS usually have an inflated price.

I also don't trust Gardy to run him much. Top of the order guys don't usually get a green light with Mauer at the plate, likely to keep the middle infielders from crowding 2B, which is where Mauer likes to hit.

However, Gordon likely isn't a top the order guy, he might actually get more opportunities batting 8th or 9th. Florimon surprisingly lead the team in SB this year batting low in the order.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If one could steal first, Gordon would be a star. I'm not interested at all

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How much impact would Dee Gordon have for the Twins? I suspect that, defense considered, it will be a wash with Florimon...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 124 Times in 57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    How much impact would Dee Gordon have for the Twins? I suspect that, defense considered, it will be a wash with Florimon...
    His old man would probably be the ace of our staff right now.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by righty8383 View Post
    If one could steal first, Gordon would be a star. I'm not interested at all
    I'm not very interested either, but we're talking about replacing Florimon. Gordon has gotten on base at every level better than Florimon.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A: Don't bother, hope Florimon doesn't regress and hope that Danny Santana emerges in AAA this year.
    B: Sign him, and see what you can get in a Danny Santana trade (quite similar players, Santana two years youngers and has had CF experience in the past).

Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    How would that be a wash? Gordon stole 49 bases in 92 games at AAA. zyou would figure at least 35 in the majors at the minimum if he played 145-150 games.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    How would that be a wash?
    The defense.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Definitely not an upgrade. You guys just don't appreciate Florimon's defense. Gordon is already a liability with the stick, so no guarantee he's even any better offensively. In fact, I'd say they're pretty close regardless.
    Last edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse; 11-06-2013 at 07:50 PM.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, Florimon's defense is pretty elite. And that part of his game is likely to not regress. That said, I don't mind the idea of Dee Gordon if his talent can mean that if the Twins decide to start Hicks in AAA, Gordon actually replaces Alex Presley. I am WAY in favor of that. Dear god. I would not trust Gordon to lead off, so Dozier-Mauer is the top, but that is an interesting scenario. Gordon starting in CF and being a backup middle infielder/4OF after Hicks is back? Sounds good. It isn't like his talent has run its course and he can't improve. Gordon and perhaps Kendrys Morales would be the only real position player additions I can see as being worthwhile (without going big for Choo or Ellsbury, etc.).

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you want speed I'd rather float a Hicks for Billy Hamilton swap in the Reds ears... That would probably seal Dozier staying & Rosario going back to the OF but if neither of Santana or Goodrum take charge why the heck not. Hamilton at #9 folllowed by Buxton would be comical amounts of speed back to back.

Rather than make a move for a SS they have invested in a lot of middle infielders lately, I think I'd prefer to see what becomes of Dannay Santana & Niko Goodrum next year before making a deal for another SS.