Liked 46 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: November Mailbag!

Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 170 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hope you're right about Hicks, that would be a huge boost for this club.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 48 Times in 25 Posts
    As for the series, I find it hard to root for a team that has repeated success. I don't root against them, but I don't really care either. Both of these teams were going for a third title in the past ten seasons, so it was hard to care either way.
    Yep.

And I also hope you're right about Aaron Hicks.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No one will be the 2014 Brian Dozier, unless you're looking for someone to simply cut their hair. Chris Herrmann cut his hair already, so he's out. Dozier's locks are gone, but it seems there's been some reverse Sampson skill thing going on there. Silky Smooth, how I miss your beautiful locks. Make Kevin Correia will go with a close shaved look in 2014 and beome the hairless wonder. He gets my vote. Also if he grows a mustache I'll purchase a Correia shirsey.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nice article. Just one question though. Everyone says there is an increased risk of getting a concussion behind the plate. I know Mauer has taken his fair share of foul tips to the head, but is there a website which identifies that catchers are more likely to get a concussion versus other players on the field? Just curious.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Liked 46 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpyrob View Post
    Nice article. Just one question though. Everyone says there is an increased risk of getting a concussion behind the plate. I know Mauer has taken his fair share of foul tips to the head, but is there a website which identifies that catchers are more likely to get a concussion versus other players on the field? Just curious.
    Catchers Experience More Concussions than Other Major League Baseball Players, Data Shows | Spinal Cord Injury, Brain Injury | Resources for TBI & SCI

It's a small sample, but 10 of the 18 players placed on the 7-day DL since 2011 are catchers. Although, I have to admit I wrote what I wrote about concussions based entirely on my own anecdotal evidence that catchers are more likely to take a 100 MPH baseball to the facial region.
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 170 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here's a partial list: MLB Concussions | The Concussion Blog

The same blog has 2011 totals here: MLB Concussion Wrap Up 2011 | The Concussion Blog

and a partial 2012 total here: 2012 MLB Concussion Update #1 | The Concussion Blog

2013 totals are here (I'm pretty sure these figures didn't change in the last month): For catchers, concussion dangers all too real

The total is:

Catchers: 20
    All others: 34

That's 37% of confirmed concussions since 2001, according to the above data, were catchers. And most, maybe all of them, were on foul tips (I know all 10 in 2013 were sustained on foul tips).

Also, this: Chirinos facing long comeback from concussion

Scary stuff.

I have read, however, that some of the catchers in 2013 switched to titanium masks before being concussed, and then switched to steel after. Steel has more flex and might be a safer material concussion-wise, but I don't know if it reduces the risk to zero.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Here's a partial list: MLB Concussions | The Concussion Blog

The same blog has 2011 totals here: MLB Concussion Wrap Up 2011 | The Concussion Blog

and a partial 2012 total here: 2012 MLB Concussion Update #1 | The Concussion Blog

2013 totals are here (I'm pretty sure these figures didn't change in the last month): For catchers, concussion dangers all too real

The total is:

Catchers: 20
    All others: 34

That's 37% of confirmed concussions since 2001, according to the above data, were catchers. And most, maybe all of them, were on foul tips (I know all 10 in 2013 were sustained on foul tips).

Also, this: Chirinos facing long comeback from concussion

Scary stuff.

I have read, however, that some of the catchers in 2013 switched to titanium masks before being concussed, and then switched to steel after. Steel has more flex and might be a safer material concussion-wise, but I don't know if it reduces the risk to zero.

Thanks for the info. I wonder if the MLB will ignore long term medical concerns like the NFL did. Also wonder if there will be some company attempting to make a mask which could deflect a bit better.
    " Remember, people will judge you by your actions, not your intentions. You may have a heart of gold -- but so does a hard-boiled egg."
    - Anonymus

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Aaron Hicks is a pretty handsome guy, so I agree. Beltran never texts me, so I can confirm he's a pretty bad friend and therefore I'm happy he didn't win the WS.
    Last edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse; 11-05-2013 at 06:25 PM.